Virginia public schools closed for remainder of school year | FerrariChat

Virginia public schools closed for remainder of school year

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by 355dreamer, Mar 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    This was just announced today. It will be interesting to see if MD and DC does the same.

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I had to look up what you were referencing.....so VA public schools are done until September 2020. Basically the kiddies get a chance to have a summer break starting now. The thread title was confusing.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Fixed Title

"The pheasants are beneath me." - SoCal to az
    "I have very few pet peeves in life . . . " - PeterS
    "Change is inedible" - fc2

4. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    MD(Howard county) has added an additional 4 weeks to the original 2. I'm pretty certain HC schools aren't going to be open until September, and I think that's best case.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Howard County is trying to figure out how to get online learning in place. They are way behind. I wonder if school systems will try to take part of the summer to make up for the lost semester.

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not exactly. This week the kids are getting refresher work from the teachers, posting to google classroom, IXL, etc. They're calling it optional, but next week they're going to start posting new material and they'll begin grading again supposedly. They've cancelled SOLs, so it seems the kids are going to all move forward regardless their grades this year? Makes you wonder what they do with a kid that has a straight F average, but okay. Not my problem. My current problem is my son wants to believe he's got a 6 month summer break but we have him on a schedule he's resisting which is really unpleasant. And my daughter is a great student in HS now but misses her friends terribly. That's the current challenge. But looking ahead, my concern academically is that neither of them will be nearly as prepared as they should be for Sept.

INRange likes this.
  7. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What county is this? We are in Prince William and we haven't even heard from my youngest son's teacher since this started and my wife teaches in Fauquier and there is nothing in place there yet to move forward with new and testable material.

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We're in Loudoun. My son is moaning and complaining about 10' from me, just found the hyperdoc he missed on his English teacher's Google classroom earlier, contains actual real work.

I have a FB friend in Spotsyvania that's complaining as well about their schools. Seems like Loudoun is pulling it together this week. I assume Richmond has some hand in it so hopefully there will be uniform progress before long.

9. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's supposed to be statewide by April 14th but my wife and a lot of her teaching friends have had no guidance with how to move forward.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Can they just in the meantime do what Loudoun is doing and just start posting refresher material via google classrooom?

11. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My wife has been sending out daily activities for her students to do but not all teachers are doing this. They can't send out gradable work until its approved by her principal.

12. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    We are in Prince William and all my 4 of my daughters AP teachers have them doing work/reviews thru Google classroom.
    Next BIG problem is visiting campuses for college selection and SAT testing. Crazy !!

13. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Howard County is supposed to start "remote learning" on the 20th for elementary. Early for High school and Middle school.