COVID-19 Military Call-up: anyone here affected? | FerrariChat

COVID-19 Military Call-up: anyone here affected?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jacob Potts, Mar 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
  2. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Pilots for cargo planes sounds like a likely category . . .

3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I think it’s limited to a few medical specialties.

4. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Word is they're parking a hospital ship off NYC to assist. Best guess: other, similar, assistance will be rendered elsewhere before this is over

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

And LA on the west coast.

It's now the largest hospital in CA.
    It will take everything but CV-19 patients, freeing up regular hospitals for more CV patients.
    Can do surgery and everything else.

zygomatic likes this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Been way too long for me to remember......what are the medical facilities on the remaining military bases like today in terms of (spare) capacity?
    Any sense to open those facilities to public med ops near cities? As with the hosp ships; to handle all non-covid patients?
    Or is the space too minimal to be worth all the associated security etc. issues?

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Most of the military hospitals and clinics are too full and have insufficient medical staff to even take retired military, except sometimes on a Space A basis. We use civilian facilities, just like civilians.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    It really depends on how long someone has been out of the airplane. Even though I flew the KC-135 for 20 years it would take probably a minimum of 6 months to get all of the squares filled to once again be a mission pilot. If I remember correctly 18 months, 3 yeas, and 5 years are major points in time requiring more and more training. Now with the airlines going to crap you might be seeing some peole who have recently left the military be interested in coming back.

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Taz,

I don’t think it’s a capacity issue as much as it is a financial decision.
    Medical staff, who are difficult to replace and retain, are being “deployed” and/or dedicated to active duty personnel.

As a result, retired, military dependents, and civilians are being shunted to the VA or civilian providers.

11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Army Engineer here, Reservist, but currently in a Training Unit, so I don't anticipate being called anywhere. My old Engineer Brigade (so far) is not mobilizing any Soldiers either, though Ft Dix continues to have climbing cases, and we have moved threat levels in New England bases/posts UP (last week Dix moved attached) HPCON Charlie

Image Unavailable, Please Login