599 Oil Change | FerrariChat

599 Oil Change

Discussion in '612/599' started by gsholz, Mar 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Being stuck at home, it was a good time to do my first oil change. Got 12 liters of Castrol Titanium 10W-60 full syn, 1 liter of Petronas Tutela Booster oil, a filter with the appropriate filter wrench and two new copper washers.

I'm not a fan of oil additives but the service manual insists on using it. The booster oil is a transparent, very viscous/thick PAE oil. It barely wants to come out of the bottle. You add it slowly after the oil with the engine running. It is supposed to quiet down the valve train. I have not noticed any unusual noise but he Ferrari shops seem to use it based on the maintenance invoices I have. So I'll use it too.

The oil change is pretty straightforward. Remove the front tray, drain the reservoir on the passenger side, drain the crankcase, change the filter, refill. Make sure you have an oil pan that can hold at least three gallons, five is better. I put the oil pan in a small round plastic kiddie swimming pool to contain the inevitable splatter.The reservoir drains quite quickly, so be ready for that or you'll have a sizeable oil spill.

The oil filter was very tight. It took a 2 foot breaker bar to get it off. Shops have a tendency to over tighten things. The workshop manual shows easy access to the oil filter but they removed part of the exhaust for a better view. In reality, the oil filter will not come out without removing the engine ground strap from the chassis cross bar. No big deal, just one bolt.

Total cost of materials including shipping about $220 of which the booster oil and the filter are about $100. Overall an easy job and you get to take a look at everything while you are under there. I'll add the Hill Engineering skid plates while the tray is off.

SonomaRik, Makuono, F3RN4ND0 and 2 others like this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Make sure you use a torque wrench on the oil filters or you will have the same problem removing them next time.

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I found that for every torqued up bolt on the oil filter I've done, the torque increases dramatically when I remove it.
    Been scratching my head for a long time

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They always do that because of the high start-up oil pressure on Ferraris. If not torqued properly, they can either leak badly or be nearly impossible to remove.

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Wow you are a brave man. I'm assuming you have a lift, as getting to the oil filter is TIGHT! ... and getting the tray back on is a PITA.

My car had some "ticking" noise - but the petronas additive make is quiet down once its hot. getting the level right seems to me to be way too involved!

great write up!

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those ticking noises are the hydraulic lifters. Same lifters as the 575M and 612. Apparently the engine compartment is quiet enough in the 599 and 612 (essentially same engine as the 575M in the 612) to elicit complaints about the lifters tapping/ticking until warmed up. No complaints from the 575M community about lifter noise at all. Too noisy up there to hear it.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If there are hoses from the oil pump or crankcase to an oil cooler it may be a good idea to crack those loose and let things drain there as well. Not sure if the 599 requires this but other V12s do if I remember correctly.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The oil filter can expands from the oil pressure and makes them tighter. One of the reasons to torque as directed. If over tightened I have seen way too many rip the can off the base plate on removal. Then you get to chisel off the base plate.

I really wish people would just install as Ferrari says and quit insisting they know better.

24000rpm likes this.
  9. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks for explaining why the oil filter was so tight.
    My garage does not have the height for a full size two or four post lift. I use the 5000 lbs QuickJack (two small scissor lifts with hydraulic pump) for the 599 with some hockey pucks to allow for tray removal. It has worked well and is easy to set up and store when done.

Attached Files:

spirot likes this.
  10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Gerald- Pretty 599. Partial to Rosso Corsa myself.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    wow... props... you are a better man than me!!! I could never fit under the car to get to the oil filter ... let alone get the tray off.

12. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agree, the tray is a pain. It is huge and the lift points interfere with tray removal. I wonder how the shop techs deal with it. Probably just bend the rear portion until it clears the lift points, then pull back to clear the bumper. I avoided doing that because the potential of cracking the tray. But I'm tempted to make it a two-piece tray.

13. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Where do you obtain the new drain plug or copper washers and the Tutella PAO? Thanks

14. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Both Scuderia and Ricambi have the copper washers. I got the PAO oil online from Miller Motorcars.

15. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Gerald did you use a specific wrench for the oil filter? Mike

16. ducatiguy

ducatiguy Rookie

Aug 10, 2021
    Ohio
    Can you confirm with a photo the rear jacking points you're using? There's the aluminum plate area near the sill, but behind that is what seems like an area with the hole for post. Thinking that might be where I should lift from.

17. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry