1973 Dino 246 GTS- What is the purpose of these snaps? | FerrariChat

1973 Dino 246 GTS- What is the purpose of these snaps?

Discussion in '206/246' started by schwoo, Mar 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
  2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Is your Dino a GTS? Maybe to snap on a vinyl cover to protect the roof when stored? RHD was for the UK/Japan/Australia etc and LHD for the continent/ROW.

3. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Thanks. The roof has a cover. It stores behind the seats I wonder if it attaches to them. Thanks

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This photo shows the snaps below too.

5. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Thanks, I appreciate your assistance

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The GTS has a vinyl cover designed to go over the Targa Top when it is removed and stored behind the seats.

These covers came new with the GTS. Many are missing them today. There are chances to buy them if they come up, but they are also made as reproductions.

CAREFUL NOTE - they are not “Snaps”. They are the male portion of the connector. In order to connect them, you need to pull out the female hub and slide them on and release. If you try and snap them, it will bend and distort the female internal pieces and keep them from holding correctly in place. Same process for removal.

Shawn

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I believe they are Tenax fasteners FWIW. They were also on the 308 GTS.

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ferrari UK shows the cover part #20237408 available but the price is up there. I would ask if these are NOS originals at that price. I bought a NOS one from Algar back in the mid '80's. Not made from the standard Dino Zebu vinyl.

9. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  10. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I wouldn't think they would be reproducing these back in '84. Would be interesting to see how many GTS owners have the original covers and what vinyl they are made of.

11. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I have my original and it is Dino vinyl. It wasn't in great shape so I had a new one made using the original as a pattern template.

12. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I might have to do the same if mine isn't correct.

13. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I had a couple extra made when I had my GTS restored. One of them went to Matthias so I'd venture to suggest that the Dino vinyl is the correct material. The other went to Sweden. Sadly the guy who made them for me has retired but they are fairly straight forward items if a trimmer has the pattern to work from. This is one of the reproductions I had made. The tape on the underside is just holding the Tenax receiving fasteners in place as this was one of the covers I shipped out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login