360 - Elbow Grease, Quarantined = Newer Looking Key... | FerrariChat

360 Elbow Grease, Quarantined = Newer Looking Key...

Discussion in '360/430' started by @CTEVN, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. @CTEVN

@CTEVN Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2020
    My 360 came with 2 very used keys, paint was chipped and they didn’t look good from any distance.

But the chipped paint revealed under it was a nice aluminum body. So I took a green scuff bad for the dishes and started scrubbing away at the key.

Couple days later and use of a pick to try and get into the small bits around the horse the outcome I’m proud of, take a look:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Now the horse actually is just glued on, so would be much easier if removed it before doing this. But the key I started with it was attached and didn’t want to pry it off. My other key has it removed in prep for doing that key also.

Bonus is not only to me does this look better but it feels a lot better in hand as the aluminum to the touch feels smooth more then the painted finish.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Using a sandblaster with glass beads would be ideal for cleaning up the key. No scratches either. Then, just a nice clearcoat and you're done. Next time I use my blaster, I'm going to try it. My keys are similarly mared.

RANDY6005 and @CTEVN like this.
  3. @CTEVN

@CTEVN Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2020
    Great idea, I might not clear coat it as like the feeling of the natural finish.

So now just have to wait till I can leave the house, then I'll find someone to do the same to the other key, as this one I don't really want to have the horse blasted.

4. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  5. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Glass bead blasted my keys many years ago. Masking tape over cavallino pressed closely to margins, carve away tape other than that over cavallino with exacto and bead blast. No shop air and bead blaster? Bring your masked key to an Orthodontist, which probably has a mini bead blaster, or a machine shop which certainly has one.

Attached Files:

EastMemphis likes this.
  6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Questions:

What is the cavallino made of? Is it chrome plated plastic or metal?
    How is the cavallino attached to the key? Is it glued? If so, is the glue a solvent, epoxy or heat based?
    Has anyone successfully removed the cavallino from the key without destroying it? If so, how?

Thanks all!

7. @CTEVN

@CTEVN Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2020
    Looks like it’s steel and yes it’s glued to the key. I put my keys into a ultrasonic cleaner and that was enough to remove it from 1 of my keys. The other even with nail polish remover and the toughness of polishing it never came off, so your luck may vary also. Image Unavailable, Please Login

EastMemphis likes this.
  8. @CTEVN

@CTEVN Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2020
    Not steel just checked with a magnet and it didn’t stick. But it’s not the same soft aluminum as the key.

9. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    I you lose, or have lost, the little cavallino they are available at Scale Details. There are several right ups on painting the fobs as well. Seems like powder coating the key might even be better if you want to go the paint route.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stephen- Either clear coat it or end up with black aluminum oxide all over whatever it touches. At a minimum Nevr-Dull, which will put wax over the aluminum.

EastMemphis and @CTEVN like this.
  11. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    ?. Black aluminum oxide? Do you mean that the bead blasted or sanded keys will turn black or transfer aluminum oxide onto other surfaces? My two keys have been bone dry, no paint, wax, nothing for 7 years and no discoloration at all. My guess that it is plain old pot metal.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Beats me, if it is aluminum, yes, other metal, who knows?