Addendum + Part Numbers for Rear Axle CV R&R | FerrariChat

Addendum + Part Numbers for Rear Axle CV R&R

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Albert Penello, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Hey folks! I just finished rebuilding the CV joints on my '85QV using Birdman's excellent guide here

http://www.birdman308.com/service/cv_joints/cv_joint.htm

This job isn't that hard but I would suggest making sure you have some VERY good tools and clean the holes out of the Allen Heads well before starting this. I also recommend picking up a handful of replacement bolts to have on hand because despite my best efforts, at least 3 got slightly rounded when coming out.

I also wanted to share a complete parts list that I think represents the best way to do it, and some suggestions that differ from Birdman which are up to you to take into consideration.

Part List (this is PER AXLE not per car)
    Rubber Boot 95860404 (x2)
    Small Oetiker Clamp 30813032 (x2)
    Large Oetiker Clamp 30813034 (x2)
    Liqui Moly 2003 Mos2 Long-Life Grease, 100 ml (x2)
    28mm OD C-clip (McMaster-Carr 98541A130) x2

Birdman's steps are excellent but I do have one disagreement and that is on Step 18.

I found it nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get the boot on the axle after assembling it to the joint. So much so that I took it all apart, put the boot on the axle first THEN put the boot on the this was SO much easier IMO i'm not even sure how you'd do it the other way.

Some other tips.

1. Do yourself a favor and just buy the Oetiker clamps for $12 on Amazon and get right the first time. None of the other clamps work properly to hold the boot on, will fail over time, and the ones that do come in the kit require a special tool to install properly. You're not going to get a better seal than with a set of Oetiker clamps and you don't want to do this again.

2. Assembly Order. As I said above, I suggest the assembly order this way (after putting the CV Joints back together)
    a. Slip small Oetiker clamp over shaft.
    b. Insert boot on shaft and slip small clamp over boot
    c. Slip large Oetiker clamp over boot
    d. Put CV joint on
    e. Put Large boot and Clamp over CV joint.

3. Don't tighten the clamps until everything is assembled! This is another small disagreement with Birdman's instructions. With the Oetiker clamps you will have a small "head" once you crimp it. That head will interfere with the bolts going through the CV joint as well as the bridge washer, so you need to make sure you're placing the crimp in between the bolt heads and the washer. So you want to clamp the larger CV joint first. THEN, you want to offset the clamps on the smaller side. I don't imagine there is enough weight on the clamp to cause a vibration, but it's easy enough to offset them just in case. The other reason to wait is if you make a mistake. I didn't put enough grease in the lower section and had too much left over so I'm glad I left the boots loose so I could get the remainder of the grease in there! IMO tightening the clamps should be the last step.

Anyway, good luck everyone just wanted to add these parts!

Wade, Jeka, moysiuan and 1 other person like this.
  2. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    This is fantastic! Thank you so much for documenting the process and the additional suggestions. Your Mondial definitely ended up with the right owner!

2cam

3. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Albert, sounds like you’re making good progress and use of the lockdown. Good timing for you and the Mondial purchase.

Albert Penello likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

You are correct, boot should not be installed on CV joint first. Just makes the job hard.

Disagree on the clamps. I think there are several good choices and my favorite in the factory clamps. I find them the easiest and most reliable of all.

Wade likes this.
  5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/mondial/driveshaft.html

I used the factory clamps, and assembled everything on the bench. They are also easiest to remove for future service.

6. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Fair point on the OE clamps. I was more referring to the parts-store versions or the ones that come with the kit. I think the OE would be good but Oetiker clamps can also be reinstalled on the car but they are single use,