Pics of vintages I find/see on the net. | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Pics of vintages I find/see on the net.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by amenasce, Oct 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I don't understand why cars are still restored in non-original colours and specs nowadays (and why restorers accept to do that) but I know : hard debate ! :confused:

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Restorers have to accept what the client wants. It is the owner who pays the bill.
    Even if top restorers such as Paul Russell etc do their very best to educate and convince owners/clients and try to steer them into the right direction.
    Some of the wealthiest people on the planet have their own super firm will and strong personal ideas and nobody is able to educate them, some just don't want to listen or learn.
    It is (used to be until a few weeks ago) a free world.

Marcel Massini

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    At the same time, original color at the end of the day, for a road car at least, is just the will of another wealthy customer.

Restorers actually profit from this as it means the car will have to be repainted at least once more to go back to original..if next owner wants that.

As long as the paint is period correct, I'm ok with it.

Red Rocket, Boomhauer, JCR and 2 others like this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Speaking of restorers, color changes and historic Ferrari, who is Mr. Wexner's rosso corsa man?

5. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Some original colours just look 's*&t' on some cars. While desired colour for the car is hard to find. I believe it more than justifies buying a car in less preferred colour and then restore it in colour combo's of preference of the owner.

To add to that...lots of people who have judgement about restoring cars in original colours are brochure collectors...and not the ones really putting the money down on such a car.

My few cents...

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Check your email.

Marcel Massini

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I personally don’t care what color someone else’s car is, as a “restorer” (if I dare to consider myself as such) I believe there should be different definition for cars not reconditioned to exact OEM specifications since a “restoration” seem to imply it being as it was when it “left the factory”.
    Anything else, including a car getting repainted differently prior to its initial sale as a new car should be considered having been altered or modified from OEM spec. No different than cars with non-OEM exhaust, wheels/tires or sound system.
    Just my 2 pennies.

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    how does ferrari regard a color change wrt the red book certification?

9. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Car looks fantastic.
    Marcel do you know why restoration took 9 years?
    Technical challenges/state of vehicle upon delivery to PR
    Owner purposely 'paying as you go'/telling shop to do it in phases as $ came along
    Other

Not judging and all are valid reasons, just curious.
    TIA, Dave

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There is a search function on top rigth of fchat (old version) and plenty of threads about Classiche. This has been discussed a dozen times already.

Marcel Massini

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I don’t have knowledge of this particular case, I’ve personally encountered and been impacted by extended delays due to all the above with various projects, including “Other”, which vary from cars changing ownerships during the project (one even twice) to clients, mine or subcontractors unexpected (severe) health issues or even deaths, etc (again, I could probably fill a book or at least few chapters in one with these experiences alone)...

... and I wouldn’t be surprised if many or most long time “professionals” have gone through same or similar array of experiences.

readplays likes this.
  12. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    One of the things that was great about Ferrari owners and cars back 40 years ago when I got into this was that while mechanical components number matching was important as a general rule color etc was not. We just painted them and then used them - I used to feel bad for my friends that were into Corvettes with all the nonsense they had to put up with. I am not a historian and I am sure that there are people on this forum who have owned way more "classic era" Ferraris than I did but unless I am going senile the majority had at least one if not more than one color change.

Red Rocket, turbo-joe and TTR like this.
  13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    First pic was taken during the Ferrari Cavalcade Classic in and around Rome in September 2019.
    #38 is 275 GTB/6C #08051 (German owner), while car #47 is a 275 GTB/4 #10721 (Swiss owner).

Second pic shows 315 S Spider Scaglietti chassis #0656 during the meeting "80 Anni di Sport con la Ferrari" in Modena, September 1985.
    Driver is Swiss owner Albert Obrist with Fiorenzo Fantuzzi (son of legendary coachbuilder Medardo Fantuzzi) as co-driver. 0656 was fully restored by Fantuzzi (coachwork) and Diena & Silingardi (mechanicals) in 1987-1989 and resides since 30 years in a very discreet collection in Switzerland.

Marcel Massini

15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Does it looks like a 315s again? In that photo it reminds me of a 412mi no?

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sure it does.
    Back to original configuration.
    As said it was fully restored by Fantuzzi from 1987 to 1989.
    The below pic shows it post restoration at the Esposauto (Clay Regazzoni's Motor Show) in Lugano, Switzerland 1989.
    There's also a full book about this car, published 1994 by Cavalleria Series, #7, authored by Antoine Prunet and Pietro Carrieri.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

amenasce, ivo73, colombo2cam and 2 others like this.
  17. nico308

nico308 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2011
    and the 250LM still wearing number 26 like when the book came out and confused with another LM ?

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Ferrari Days in Modena, here at Imola.
    September 1983.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  20. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
  21. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
  22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Iso Grifo.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    readplays and morcal like this.
  25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Good to see that 07603 is now finally back to normal Berlinetta configuration. It had been cut into a "NART Spider", painted resale red and looked horrible for years. An outside fuel filler cap and air outlets in the rear fenders were also added.
    And yes, 07603 is the only 275 GTB originally painted Oro Longchamps.
    The below photo is NOT my photo.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login