What 8 races will be run this year? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What 8 races will be run this year?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Mar 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which 8 races will be held for the WDC?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2020.
  1. Montreal

25.0%
  2. Le Castellet

18.8%
  3. Spielberg

21.9%
  4. Silverstone

53.1%
  5. Budapest

15.6%
  6. Spa

62.5%
  7. Monza

46.9%
  8. Singapor

34.4%
  9. Sotschi

25.0%
  10. Suzuka

68.8%
  11. Austin

65.6%
  12. Mexico

46.9%
  13. Sao Paulo

56.3%
  14. Abu Dhabi

62.5%
  15. Melbourne

6.3%
  16. Bahrain

18.8%
  17. Vietnam

9.4%
  18. Zandvoort

37.5%
  19. Barcelonaa

12.5%
  20. Baku

9.4%
  21. Shanghai

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah and IIRC it was in those years when Watson/Lauda drove for McLaren that they did a similar thing even at Monaco. These races are exciting. We had some of these instances in the past when a front runner had an issue in qualy and it normally is great fun.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, but you have to remember that Watson and Lauda were at the back of the grid "on merit"; they qualified badly.
    That's different from relagating systematically at the back of the grid the fastest drivers just for fun.

I am not discussing the entertainment value. I like watching BTCC for the handicap element (combination of penalty weight and reverse grid) , it's good fun.
    But F1 is supposed to be serious racing, and I personally think it will be devalued if those "tricks" are introduced.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'd welcome any gimmick to salvage this season. Next year we can return to regular rules etc. But for this year we need something that puts the cars on the grid.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If we introduce "any gimmick to salvage this season", this year's championship will be devalued and many will judge the winner with suspicion, I think.
    I am not against having a few GPs, but no championship.

I am maybe too much of a purist in these matters, but my reasoning is this: "If we cannot do things properly, it's better not to do them at all".
    I have applied that in many aspects of my life, and it served me well.

lorenzobandini and johnireland like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Just as I was sending my previous post #54, I find this on the Motorsport website that reflects exectly my opinion:

"Ecclestone says he would abandon 2020 F1 season

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-2020-f1-season-abandoned/4774134/

Bernie Ecclestone says he would abandon the 2020 Formula 1 season entirely if he was in charge of the sport now, rather than try to push on and get some races scheduled."

6. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    china should be permanently banned. (see punishment thread)
    return to the original schedules from '60's and '70's.

7. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Or lets scrap the season and tell the teams to just push on with the 2021 cars. Let them have four months of unlimited testing...say September October and November...and then in February. New cars, a new season. Don't waste anymore money on 2020.

william likes this.
  9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #59 Simon^2, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    For those calling to scrap the entire season...

So the teams continue spending money with no hope for any revenue? For the entire season? That's your plan? Do you own a business? Could you float your entire staff for a year with no revenue? (This likely reads much angrier than I intend. This is meant as discussion among friends watching from the sidelines).

This season may not be for the fans. This season, what there is it, will likely be for the teams. The small and midsize teams at least. The men and women that work there. Get some revenue back to the teams. As much as possible.

We as fans need to support whatever scenario is put forward. In doing so we are supporting EVERY person ( and their families) working behind the scenes.

I personally like my suspected proposition of two race weekends. 16 races are feasible in this scenario. Reverse grids for some excitement.

I couldn't care less about some asterisk in a history book 40 years from now. I do care about the men and woman at the factory that won't be able to pay their rent,... or buy their children a present on their birthdays.

I get the purists, but a normal season at this point?? That ship has sailed. Just because it can't be done to the pre-planned schedule in no way means it can't be done well. A professional chef is shipwrecked on an Island,... he's not going to eat (or feed his family) because he doesn't have a proper kitchen? Sometimes you man up and do the best you can under the circumstance.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    As I mentioned in my previous post, I suggest running a few races towards the end of the year, if at all possible.
    That would keep some activity and revenue for the teams, the circuits, etc ...
    But I wouldn't call it a championship. There would be no WDC and WCC championship for 2020.
    The ingredients are no there to pretend that a 2020 WDC would have the same value as the other editions.

So, organising a few GPs as stand-alone races could be feasable. These races used to exist in the past, when not all GPs counted for the championship.
    I remember the Race of Champion in UK, the Syracuse GP and a few others were not part of the championship then, but were still well attended.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There have been many seasons with asterisks. Think about the years where a main contender was killed (Villeneuve, Senna, MS injured) or where some major scandal devalued the sport (Stepneygate, Crashgate). Nonetheless the show must go on and we want a season, asterisks or not.

PS: I find it unreal that the Monaco GP was cancelled instead of postponed. I heard the rationale but this to me is sacrilege. Breaking with decades long tradition for inconvenience is lousy.

13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I'd keep the schedule as it is now and slide venues off until this thing is under control. At some point, we'll have a clear picture of when this CV-19 disaster is going to cool off, and when. Afterwards, work towards running the season a bit longer and reschedule some tracks for that time. There's nothing wrong with running an abridged season, and still award WDC and WCC at the end of it.

If nothing else, we can have the season ender in Canada. Who doesn't want to see F1 cars race in the snow?

DF1 likes this.
  14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    F1 could run/extend the races into February 2021.....skip testing since the cars won't change....then commence with the 2021 normal race schedule.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Red Bull would have a clean advantage from their winter tests...

kraftwerk likes this.
  16. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Haha ace ..bring it on...:)

Seriously am all for any race ...it should be a sign we are over the worst, it's so depressing watching the news , the best they can come up with is a bloke running a marathon in his back garden...

I hate this Virus with a passion.

tifosi12 likes this.
  17. Jochen's season was only partial; should his title be stripped or asterisked?

tifosi12 likes this.
  18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Right on. Another example would be one of the titles that Fangio won because Moss gave him his car to finish the race. Had he not done so, Moss would have been WDC IIRC.

I'd never asterisk a season, they are what they are.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Nobody caught him.

jmillard308 likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think you mean Peter Collins giving up his Ferrari to Fangio at the 1956 Italian GP.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    [QUOTE="tifosi12, post: 147123206, member: 70
    I'd never asterisk a season, they are what they are.[/QUOTE]

Even without the Monaco GP ?

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks. I'm not trusting my leaking memory, neither should you. :)

That said, I do think Moss handed over his car at some point. Or some other gentlemanly that cost him a WDC. I'm sure *you* know the details. :)

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Even without the Monaco GP ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, even without Monaco. It's just sad that it is not part of the season because of the tradition. Not having Monaco to me means more about breaking the Monaco tradition than the F1 tradition, if you know what I mean. The Prince should have never allowed this to happen, this is a loss to the Principality.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Look no further/ 1958 Morocco GP.

Moss testified on appeal against Hawthorn's disqualification for driving against the course (after a spin).
    Hawthorn kept his 2nd place and 6 points.
    He won the WDC from Moss ... by one point !!!

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The British *.gov is paying 80-% of "everyone who is not working" 's weekly salary.

Since almost all teams are based in Britain, the people working at the F1 team factories are not starving to death.

william likes this.