348 - Wanted... 348TS Collapsible Folding Roof | FerrariChat

348 Wanted... 348TS Collapsible Folding Roof

Discussion in '348/355' started by Koenig1, Jan 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Wanted: 348ts Folding Top/Roof. I know these are rare, but is there someone out there looking at moving on and selling their Top. Probably best to PM(start a conversation) with me.... thanks in advance.

axarunner likes this.
  2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Watch out for copies. There are some about; whilst I have no idea how good they are they advertise for the same price as the originals.

They do come up; took me a year to get one at a sensible price!

(say hi to Ottawa for me; use to live there years ago!)

3. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    A348W... yes, I believe we have chatted before..... Dunrobin if I remember! Actually in touch with someone who has a 'copy'! Waiting on more detail and pictures, but he wants both arms and legs..... What might be a problem with copies... of course other than the build quality & price?

axarunner likes this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I remember now!

Not sure if there would be any real issue as such; just seems odd people asking same for a copy as the real thing!

Some of the asking prices are “interesting”. There are ones at sensible prices but you have to be very patient!

I’ve not used mine yet in anger, but will do next year going to Monaco. Hope it works as there will be no plan b other than getting wet!

axarunner likes this.
  5. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    I believe I reached out to the same guy who has a repro (which looks fine in photo's) but I wasn't interested in paying 1,936.07 Euro's for it and the owner wasn't interested in my $1,250.00 plus shipping offer... So I'm in the same sad boat as you Koenig1... we must be patient.

6. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Me too, I think he dropped to 1700 for me, but that can be better spent on other issues with my car. I'm vertically challenged so the targa fits behind the seats easily. :)

axarunner likes this.
  7. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    The price of these units is astounding! And I agree about the copies asking $$$. makes one wonder if a decent copy could be produced in a short run for 1/2 of what sellers are asking, can't be that difficult?

ILLA NOIZ and axarunner like this.
  8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    If you had 1) an example roof, 2) access to a decent machine shop and 3) somebody who could sew I would think maybe $500 max and most of that would be in the roof material.

That said, bide your time and you can get a real one for that!

ILLA NOIZ likes this.
  9. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    I'm really OCD and the thought of creating a suitable reproduction folding soft top is consuming me with thoughts of how it can be done within that (less than $1K) price point.

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I only need #1.

sjd

11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    If you want pics/ dimensions etc; I'm happy to help out.

(Roof is with car and car is in the shop at the moment, so would be a few weeks!)

12. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Just bringing this back to the top in case someone's thinking of selling one.... If you have one available PM me please, thanks

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Not sure where this idea of "copies" comes from.

Plenty of knowledgeable people on here, some with excellent engineering facilities available, have look into reverse engineering the folding targa tops, and in the end it was decided by one and all that the cost of tooling and manufacture, would make the sale price just too high, if they wanted to avoid making a loss on each one.

There are two "original" versions of the folding targa roof: an official Ferrari version, and a Ferrari North America (FNA) version.

The easiest way to tell them apart is the FNA version has front latches, just like the factory hard top, and the official Ferrari version has no latches

See here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-ts-folding-roof.370777/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/folding-canvas-roof-for-355-gts.471483/

The original Ferrari versions are being shown as available here under Part No. 63380800 : https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/search?SearchText=63380800 at a price of £1864 + VAT (£2237 with VAT or @ $2790 at today's exchange rate).

The question of pricing is based on supply and demand. These tops are fairly rare (less rare now Ferrari appear to be re-stocking their version though), and in demand, so if you want one, you have to pay the price for them.

When I bought my 348 TS, Ferrari had no stocked of their version, but by sheer fluke of timing, I found a FNA version for sale on ebay in the USA [almost like it was meant to be!], so I bought the roof immediately and imported into the UK - which wasn't cheap! My original plan was to sell the folding roof with the car, and for the cost of the roof panel to be added to the cars purchase price. The Ferrari Centre who sold the car for me, advised me that I'd be better off selling it separately, so I kept the roof panel. I've still got the roof because I haven't ruled out owning another 348 TS/GTS or 355 GTS.

My current plan though is to buy a 308 or 328 GTS, which, if it happens, then the roof will most likely be put up for sale - But, I wont be selling it off cheap, as some seem to think it should be. Like I say, it's supply and demand, and I can't see myself ever being desperate to sell it for any price I can get.

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Remember, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay not what you think it's worth. Good luck on the 328!

15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    That isn't showing as available. Where it says "Enquire" that generally means not in stock but they might be able to find one for you.

16. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    I've researched this and I too find the heavy fiberglass top cumbersome and wanted a quick lightweight and easy temporary top for my 348.
    While I can't justify spending upwards of $3K for a used one now... perhaps when this virus thing ends and I'm (hopefully) making money again maybe I'll do just that...
    ;)

17. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    'axarunner'... I've been thinking the same. I've been looking for quite awhile, and most want double > triple more(USED>>>$5K usd lol) than the list price that's quoted in sites today, even though there aren't any new to be had! I have given it thought on a folding frame, bit of a pita. Just lately, my ideas are leaning towards using the orig top as a mold, and pulling a thin lightweight sheet. Add some mount pins & utilizing the front lockdown levers. That might be less of a 'behind the seat problem space' issue! I really only need the 'soft top' for poor weather or dining out somewhere for that sense of security. You know, the statement of 'good for 100kmh /something' really has no real effect for me. I highly doubt I'm going to be pushing the right foot in a downpour! This is a 25>30 something year old car, fogging windows, old fart driving with slower reflexes... The top will be off for any spirited driving so a lightweight, unobtrusive top would do, as long my seat space isn't shrunk! I walk into the garage daily(back up north now) and stare.... ask myself is it worth it.... maybe 1 of these days with all this pandemic stay home time!