FF: manettino and 4WD failure messages | FerrariChat

FF: manettino and 4WD failure messages

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by BaronM69, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    On my commute back today, chill highway drive, the car suddenly went back from Sport mode 7th gear into Wet mode auto, asking me to go to my dealer.

In Auto, the car would not gear on 5th or 6th, but would gear up with paddles though.

Went turning off and closing/opening turning on the engine, the messages disappear, until I engage a gear.

Have you guys experienced this?

2. Az458

Az458 Karting

Apr 24, 2015
    Yes happened At Car week, anytime went from reverse to 1st 4wd failure and manettino fail, until restart. Cars at dealer now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    #3 BaronM69, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    What has been the diagnosis so far?

4. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Any update on this?

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive had the error a few times. no impact on driving though - always just cleared itself.

6. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    message did not clear overnight, like I hoped, so i brought the car to dealer.
    on the last run, the message did not appear anymore.
    tomorrow the dealer will run further inspection on the car....

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wldnt worry about it - its part of the charm. i also get drivers side ventilation is on when its not. love it.

350MH83 likes this.
  8. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California

I have too every once in a while. Resets with a restart and I don't see it for quite some time.

9. richierobs

richierobs Rookie

Oct 7, 2016
    I had a similar experience recently in my 2012 FF, car would switch into wet mode and display some or all of the following messages:

"Low 4WD ATF oil pressure"
    "Manettino failure"
    "4WD system failure"
    "Go to dealer"

I'd also noticed that the car was ticking over a little longer before starting, and the clock was losing time. I suspected the battery.

So I took it to the dealer, as it was due a service anyway.

The dealer fixed all the error messages by simply charging up the battery, and the car has been perfect since.

Unfortunately in my apartment block i don't have anywhere to plug in the trickle charger where the car is parked, so I suspect this problem will reoccur unless I find a way of charging the battery somewhere else.

Kaspars Upmanis likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It really could be anything and you need to let them diagnose it. I'll never forget on my 599, I had a parking sensor fail and the car announced "transmission failure!" and then "manettino failure!" and then "Go to dealer!" (no kidding). And it turned out to be that parking sensor...

350MH83 likes this.
  11. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    ! :)

12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I wonder when will Ferrari ever realize that they can simply boost their reputation on reliability simply by switching the oem battery to a quality one.

IloveGT likes this.
  13. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    I have let my Audi A5 not running during 7 weeks lately: no issue when firing it.
    Porsche 991 Turbo sitting in the freezing cold during 1 week, or 4 weeks unused: no issue firing it.
    Range Rover V8: 4 weeks not using it, starting like it new.
    None of the above on trickle charger.

FF: after 1 week (no charger and new OEM battery), you see some challenges.
    2 weeks and you know this is the limit before needing cables.

I am not sure what this could be: too big of an engine to start? How does 63AMG don't do that? Why do the V8 ferrari also have that issue?
    Too much technology in the car? Mercedes or Audi have more tech. and don't do that.

Puzzling to me.

14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I hardwired my radar detector via add-a-circuit to FF's fuse box B (next to driver's knee) this past weekend. Out of the total 25 fuses on that panel, 11 of them are hot all the time, and 10 of them hot only when the key is turned to position 2. The remaining 4 are only hot when activated, ie heated rear window.

I did not have a chance to tap into the fuse box on the 6.2L 63AMG I had before, so I can't do a comparison. However, 63AMG's are also electric hogs as with most modern cars, so I still think the main problem with Ferrari is the sub-par oem battery.

15. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    So it looks like it was pretty much nothing...
    They found that fluid level in the front gear box were uneven, that it could trigger the messages on dashboard, and after leveling them all got cleared. No more issues.

Car will be back on the road tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedbacks.

16. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I’m also getting the low 4wd atf oil pressure warning, maniteno failure, take car to dealer error message.

I drive the car 2-3 times/week, Battery is 2 years old. I plugged in the trickle charger and battery is full, but those error messages still appeared.

Is checking the gear box fluid level easy to do? Didn’t see much info on that in the manual.

Thanks.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Not sure if its easy to do. Do you ever lose any gears? I never did when i got the errors

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not to get anyone in a tizzy but I had that on my Lusso as well.....always cleared itself and no impact on driving.....was told by the dealer it was the battery and likely will need a new one....It wound up being the PTU.....

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just weird because i had it from day 1 when i got my car in 2012...it went away 2 or 3 years ago when i changed to an interstate battery. havent had it since and im crossing 32k miles.

20. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Always swap to a quality aftermarket battery to take that out of the equation.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    from my service record:
    "REPLACE CRUSHED VAC HOSES UNDER INTAKE MANIFOLD, REPLACE SECONDARY AIR HOSES."

22. sesto22

sesto22 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016
    2014 FF doing the same thing: 4wd atf failure, manettino failure, switches to wet mode, goto dealer and won’t go over 4th without switching to manual. Had fluids checked, no leaks, no pressure problems. Battery tested bad (only 1 yr old Interstate H8-supposedly best after market), replaces battery (actually warranties by dealer, even tho they tested as good!), re-started the car and get the same messages!! Dealer here in SLC leaves a little to be desired, no call back on 2 separate messages! Car seems to perform ok, in manual mode, but my concern is that this is my daily driver-I’ve put 15k miles in a year...is it just that codes need to be cleared by dealer computer? I’ve also tried disconnecting battery, turning key to on, leaving overnight, only to have them come back with a restart. I get that the cars are quirky and finicky, especially related to electrical issues/glitches, but being in wet mode all the time sucks. Any suggestions or has anyone else had these same issues and had them resolved? Thx in advance!

23. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Welcome to the club.....many have had the same issue both FF and Lusso. It could be minor or serious.....most serious being the PTU....dealer needs it to go through the proper checklist to figure it out.

I had the same issue and dealt with it for a year before they correctly diagnosed a PTU failure. Had it swapped and it’s been solid since. Good luck....

24. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Sorry to hear that you’ve had the error code book spewed at you. As gilly6993 says, it could be anything and your dealer will need to work through it methodically. How many miles do you have on your car?

25. Raja1

Raja1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I just had a similar issue yesterday to the ones previously described. 2012 FF with 34k Km.

"Low 4WD ATF oil pressure"
    "Manettino failure"
    "4WD system failure"
    "Go to dealer"

I had routine service scheduled later this week but Just dropped the car off at the dealer this morning due to the error.

I had new OEM battery installed 4 weeks ago.

Waiting to hear back… hopefully nothing Serious.