From Lambos to Ferrari | FerrariChat

From Lambos to Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by havemurcie1, Mar 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. havemurcie1

havemurcie1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2011
    Mystic Ct
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I just pulled the trigger and purchased a F430. I do love the car. After owning many L cars I must say it is SO much easier to drive.Recently I had an Audi R8 and a Jaguar F series Coupe as well...Nice ,but not Cool enough.With me its not how fast I go ,but how cool I look getting there.This car takes care of that.Years ago I had a few 308's, and a 328 Ferrari ... they were nice at the time, not very fast, but this is a whole different animal.It's very fast and easy to drive. I chose this over a 360 because I did not want to deal with the timing belt maintenance. Thanks for having me join.Looking forward to reading everyone's posts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Congrats

Ive only owned Ferraris. Friend lent me his Aventador for a couple weeks. Super cool looking but for me not fun at all. Way too big and hard to see out of.

3. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I need better friends.

Phil, congrats on the 430!

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Congrats...

I thought Lamborghinis were for those whom only cared about looking cool and not going fast.

Ferrari is about driving more than looking cool. If you don't care about driving fast and enjoy driving, I think a Lambo fits that bill better.

Track it and rack up the miles. It's a sportscar and a.good one at that. Use it as it was intended to be used, and leave the Lambos for the poseur showboats.

5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Looks great.....the F430 is a great Ferrari experience!

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

7. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Congrats. What Lambos exactly have you owned?

goldlifter likes this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Driving sucks in general no matter what you have for wheels. A Ferrari or lambo can make that experiance worse or better, depending on how you choose to use the car.

9. goldlifter

goldlifter Karting

Aug 8, 2015
    Sold my F430 last year in favor of a LP560 Gallardo to join my LP640. I can see how the rwd is easier to drive around town but it just didnt excite me as much as the LP560. Thats the great thing about cars, we all have our preferences and a lot of great options out there to choose from

Shark01 likes this.
  10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    What? Driving sucks?

Ryan... and paulchua like this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Most of the time it sure does. Sitting traffic in a sports car is not my idea of a good time. Battling traffic to get to the good roads, is also not a fun time. I guess I live in a more densely populated area then you may.

Auraraptor likes this.
  12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Driving in la is not fun. But it beats not driving.

The alternative is self driving. And no thanks. Lol.

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I will agree but the idiots on the road are increasing weekly. Seems everybody is more important then everybody else.

Auraraptor and kes7u like this.
  14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    The only thing ever good coming out of this virus in LA is that there is NO traffics on freeway!!! After this whole thing subsides, I think people will really start embracing work at home.

tbakowsky likes this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL.....so much funny here.....

16. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've had 10 Ferraris over the last 35 years. Never owned one to "look cool". It's all about the personality of each car and the driving experience.

bjwhite likes this.
  17. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Everyone has their own reasons for which car they choose.

Auraraptor and rumen1 like this.
  18. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    How many ugly cars have you owned?

19. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    OK, lets compare some specific models. I owned a manual 2003 Murcielago and now the 2009 Ferrari 599. They are both V12s but very different cars. The Murci's all wheel drive is a pain when maneuvering in parking lots. It tends to bind in sharp slow speed turns. The stability control is either on or off. When on, it interferes by cutting power in all but normal driving. I ended up turning it off most of the time. Handling at speed was good. The Murcie was reliable but it had some gremlins. The dash instruments would reboot on occasion while driving - probably some ground issue that the dealer could not find. The adjustable suspension required the occasional reboot/restart and the front lift system was delicate. These are common Murcie issues. Seats were narrow and I could barely fit (6'4", 220lbs). But the looks, the doors, the color arancio were traffic stoppers. The manual transmission was excellent. Overall, as exotics go the Murcielago was low cost to own. Only about $2k total for dealer service in 3 years.

The 599 is much more comfortable. Plenty of space for me, much better driving position. I had no issues driving home for 10 hours when I picked it up. I could only stand sitting in the Murci for 90 minutes tops mostly due to the narrow seats. The 599 feels a bit more powerful because of 40 additional horses and the lack of all wheel drive. The 599 is surprisingly well planted and has excellent steering response on curvy roads despite its front engine setup. I'm getting used to the F1 transmission idiosyncrasies. It shines in the higher RPM range, can be clunky at lower RPMs and partial throttle at least when in Sport or Wet mode. Looking forward to dry roads and better weather to explore some of the other modes. I like the 599 styling but it is not as exotic as the Murcie and, of course, the doors are just doors not an event like on the Murcie. Purchase wise, the 599 is the much better deal. About half of what the Murcie cost as 5 year old. Of course, the 599 is now 10-years old but still feels like a new car with only 11,000 miles.

Auraraptor and rumen1 like this.
  20. havemurcie1

havemurcie1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2011
    Mystic Ct
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Deals from the past..back in the 90's before computers there was a 308 listed in a car mag for $10,000.00 stating "Motor missing" so after seeing in for three months in a row I figured I'd call. He had gotten no responses. It turns out he meant the the motor was misfiring and not running correctly. I bought it sight unseen..a new set of points and it was on it's way!!! The other is a Euro purchased in Fla $22,000.00 15K miles and FAST! Those days are gone!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. havemurcie1

havemurcie1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2011
    Mystic Ct
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Ryan... and rumen1 like this.
  22. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed