360 water pump | FerrariChat

360 water pump

Discussion in '360/430' started by Majin_JT, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    Hello all, last year whilst having the belts changed etc on my 2000 360 the mechanic mentioned to me that my water pump pulley had very slight play.

Would this cause humming type noises?

The noise is definitely coming from the rear

If I press accelerator noise is there but if I let go of accelerator the noise goes away or maybe just so quiet the exhaust hides it.

It's not my wheel bearings as both back we're changed not too long ago.

Any help or info would be great

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Probably not the pump but not impossible. No reason to guess here. Noises are easily diagnosed by the experienced.

It does make me wonder why a pump with a bearing going bad was not replaced when the work was being done.

Oh well, not my car or client.

Its a rhetorical question. No need for an answer.

Need4Spd likes this.
  3. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    I asked the question on here because ferrari chat is full of the experienced and always the best place for advice and help

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am very experienced and I did. Now do you want me to come fix it? I fix cars but not over the internet. I said easily done by the experienced. As near as I can tell that does not include you.

I did not think my first post was difficult to understand.

And I have to disagree. It is a terrible place for help. Few with experience and far too many with no idea dispensing advice.

Need4Spd and Kevin R like this.
  5. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    I would love for you to come fix it but a little hard with you being in texas and me in the UK

6. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Short of taking it back to your mechanic who diagnosed it in the first place.
    Ask yourself this question: if you’re able to diagnose it yourself with FChat help, will you fix it yourself? If not then, bring it to an experienced mechanic for diagnosis and fixing.

Now for hints on how to diagnose: is the noise correlating to RPM or car moving? If only when car moving it’s most likely nothing attached to the engine but rather transaxle/rolling elements.

If RPM related only, anything driven by belts is a candidate. Alternator, P/S pump, AC compressor, water pump, timing belt rollers,...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Need4Spd likes this.
  7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Things like this can be difficult to diagnose over the internet because of the variability of the issue.
    The easiest thing to do is indeed go back to the mechanic that you brought it to in the first place.
    If you can, describe it as best you can. Is it a high pitch whine? A low pitch whine? (Please check fluid levels in the power steering reservoir) It could be the water pump, it could also be a pulley or power steering pump, or other pulley in the timing system. Does it change as the car heats up?

8. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    i have checked all fluids and all seem perfectly fine if i am rolling down the road in neutral noise goes away when car is in gear not touching accelerator no noise , as soon as i press to accelerate the humming comes back . its not a high pitch noise but more of a deep tone drone noise . sorry the noise is hard to descibe and fully understand how difficult this can be to diagnose over the internet . dont think it is heat related

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm with the crew that, why, if your 'mechanic' knew of an issue, dd not fix the issue while he was working on the car. I would definitely take it back and ask why.

Need4Spd likes this.