599 Parking Sensor Failure | FerrariChat

599 Parking Sensor Failure

Discussion in '612/599' started by Vito, Mar 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    My 2008 599 was just serviced by the dealer & returned to me on Friday. The dealership employee parked the car in the garage on Friday and today, Saturday, I took the car out for a drive. It started fine & drove perfectly. However, upon returning home & pulling into the garage the "Parking Sensor Failure" message appeared on the dash. I checked all sensors & they were clear. I restarted the car 2 or 3 times to see if the message would clear and it did not. The OBD-2 meter shows no error codes either. I did not wipe the sensors with alcohol to clear any wax that might be there from the last time it was detailed. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions on this matter? Thanks

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Possible rock strike when driving. I also randomly get electrical system errors when I start the car, sometime parking sensors. They always clear but the parking sensors are at best, marginally reliable.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Hey Vito,
    Is your OBD reader specifically want able to connect to the parking sensor ecu? If so, then there must be a stored code (if not an active fault code). This would obviously help greatly in figuring out the fault!

One simple thing you can do is check to see that all your sensors are firing. With the ignition on and engine off, put the car into reverse, then crouch down with your ear right up next each sensor. It will be very quiet, but you should clearly be able to hear a clicking sound from each sensor. No clicking from a specific sensor would indicate a sensor or wiring fault. Not clicking at all would most likely indicate the ecu is at fault.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Skidkid, Texas Forever and Makuono like this.
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good suggestion

5. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    There was neither an active code or a stored code.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No sure I really would want my head near a radar sensor.

7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Parking sensors are high frequency acoustic, not radar.

Well it doesn't make much sense that there isn't a stored code if you saw a parking sensor error come onto the dash. Maybe it got cleared by accident.

8. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Here's the summary of the event and update: 1) Last Saturday the sensor failure notice appeared on the dash. 2) Tried a couple of start/restart cycles to see if that would clear it, it did not. 3) Connected OBD-2 meter, no codes either active or stored were found, selected "delete codes" regardless. 4) Tried a couple more start/restart cycles, code still present. 5) Dusted car with California Duster and covered it. 6) Went to drive the car today and everything was fine. For example, sensors picked up garage door in normal fashion when backing out of the garage & when returning. I guess the California Duster has some delayed magical powers. No error message now.

Texas Forever and 599_GTO like this.
  9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
  10. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Ancel AD-310. It's worked fine with other codes.

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    From reading the specs online, all this scanner is doing is taking to your engine ecus. You won’t find any parking sensor faults unless you have a scanner that can connect directly to the parking sensor ecu.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Parking sensors are not part of the mandated ODB-II spec. Codes such as this can often only be read with mfg software, or a high-end equivalent.

Skidkid likes this.
  13. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Or a $50 Autel AP200. Can read codes from every ecu on the car.

I have one. It’s phenomenal value.

14. Zbaroom

Zbaroom Karting

May 27, 2012
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Zaini
    Any guidance I can find on DIY replacing the a sensor? The dealer want to charge me $1300 just to removed and reinstall the bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Drop me a PM and I can send you through the workshop manual - thats got the instructions in it to remove the bumper. It really isn't that hard a job!

Once the bumper is off, the sensors just clip on.

16. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    "Parking Sensor Failure" or "Electrical Failure" are one of the 'bugs' on the electronics of all 599's IMHO.

On my '11 HGTE (didn't have front sensors on my previous '07 599), the front parking sensor usually blares given I park about 2-3 ft from the wall. Usually, I push the "silence alarm" button after I turn the ignition key but before I push the Engine Start button. Every now and then, the display indicates either a "Parking Sensor Failure" or a "Electrical Failure" message. I've learned to ignore it because I believe the system runs a general sensor check soon as the key is turned to start the engine and if the alarm sensor is silenced, the system thinks a failure occurred.

A more annoying 'bug' of the front sensors only are the phantom alarms that blare after stopping at a light or stop sign, even though there's nothing blocking the front of the car. Doesn't occur consistently on the same drive so nothing to do with its cleanliness. I think the sensors are way too sensitive and have a much further reach (about 3+ ft) than my SL55-AMG which only reads obstructions within 2 ft without phantom alarms during the 14 yrs I've driven it.

I'd taken the 599 to the dealer for analysis once and they replaced one of the middle sensors; never acted up while the car was in their possession. However, after I drove it home the same issue repeated! Oh well, definitely annoying but can't win them all. :(

Come to think of it, the first time I took it home the front sensors weren't working. So I cycled through the display commands and found the front sensors turned "off". Quite possible the first owner (who leased it for 7 yrs) must have encountered the same issues and just took the easy route to "fix" the problem.

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I used to get loads of issues with my parking sensors before I did the manual swap. Since then they've worked perfectly. Rather than the parking sensor ecu getting a 12v signal to come on when in reverse direct from the car power supply, the F1 car gets the 12V signal from the TCU. Its very odd, but I guess there was some interference before?

Another option would be to remove the parking sensors from the proxy alignment list. You could just do away with them entirely if you wanted.

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Want to elaborate? I am not sure if you are saying you replaced them all or something else. Thanks.

19. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Robin, I've never had problems with the rear parking sensors at all, neither on my previous '07 GTB nor my current '11 HGTE. Wonky front parking sensors on my current car is the main issue.

Advise or solutions to resolve that would be most appreciated. Thanks.