Gorgeous early 246 going to on-line auction | FerrariChat

Gorgeous early 246 going to on-line auction

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bluebottle, Mar 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    This must be one of the most beautiful Dinos currently available - colour combination par excellence (not that I am biased, you understand). Brave man putting this up for auction in current circumstances - I hope he gets a great result, but I would not be overly optimistic.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1969-ferrari-dino-246-gt-l-series

NoGoSlow likes this.
  2. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Wow! absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Love the color! Looks like it has later E-Series front body work/bumpers, later wipers, RHD conversion, non-stock steering wheel among a few things I could see. It’ll be interesting to read the description once it’s available.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    00448 sold new to first owner Evan E. Kimble II (directly by factory).

Marcel Massini

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Marcel, what was the original color combo?

Freeman

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Bluebottle likes this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    00448:
    Blu Dino Met 106-A-72 with Beige 430.

Marcel Massini

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    optional extra was the e series front nose!

swift53, dgt and pshoejberg like this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    And the dash seems to be upholstered in alcantara instead of mousehair. Plus one or two paint imperfections. but, hey, it is still one gorgeous piece of automotive sculpture!:):):)

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    a quote I just heard, “Don’t let perfect get in the way of good!”

Bluebottle likes this.
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Not sure I see this car fetching that price in the auction somehow! In the current circumstances, either it will simply fail to meet the reserve, or some lucky / brave man will get a bargain - it really is a lovely car which I would be happy to have in my garage, were its twin not already there!

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Still on the "Coming Soon" list. My guess is the owner is having second thoughts in view of the current circumstances. In his position, I would too. Or maybe he just can't bear to part with it, which I can fully understand.

13. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh, yes! That is beautiful!!:):):)

15. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Bump. Full details about the car and history now online at the link above (I work for CC, so reviewed the history file myself).

-Ed

16. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    It is, as I have said before, a beautiful car, which so happens to be in an identical colour scheme to my own. It seemed to have disappeared from your website for several weeks - could you please share with us the reasons for this? And do you have a date for when the auction goes live?

On a more general note, CC appears to be an attempt to replicate the BAT formula here in the UK, which I commend. I think it is high time we had a "BAT for the UK", as an alternative to the usual suspects in the established auction market, who seem to offer little for what they charge, and don't IMO do thier job very well either. There is one other would be player in the UK, namely The Market. How does CC differ from The Market and why would a potential seller here in the UK use your service as opposed to theirs? Do you see CC and / or The Market making a significant dent in the established UK auction houses' business?

Sorry for all the questions, but as we have you here, it would be very interesting to hear your thoughts.

17. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for your interest, John. It was published in Coming Soon some time ago to build up interest in the car, and secure lots of watchers on the auction lot. It is also a marketing benefit to preview cars like this, and get enthusiasts noticing that it is set for auction (like this thread, for example!).

The auction is now live, running for 14 days (it will close in the evening on 9 June).

In terms of your queries about our platform compared to others, people can make their own minds up about where they would like to sell their car. There are no costs to list or sell with Collecting Cars, and the buyer's premium is 6%. Time will tell for how long the traditional auction house model (some with seller's commissions and buyer's premiums of 10% and 18% respectively!) can survive.

-Ed

18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Ah, yes, I see the starting gun has now been fired. I shall be watching with interest.

I do not understand why the major auction houses have survived in the USA in the face of BAT's success over there. Perhaps things will be different on this side of the water.

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Here’s the link to it: https://collectingcars.com/

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I wouldn't be surprised if some are and have been stakeholders in these online venues already.

21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  22. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Having seen the timing of activity in BaT auctions - "it ain't over yet"...

23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting question. I do not profess to know the answer, but here is a few suggestions:
    1. Depends on the value of sterling.
    2. Depends on where it is being sold, and / or where the buyer intends to use it, as in a RHD or LHD country.
    3. Maybe not so much as on a car that was originally available in RHD, which I do not think was the case for L series cars.
    4. Depends on how original the car is on other respects.
    Anyone else have any thoughts?

25. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Conversions from left to right hand drive on regular production Ferraris usually adversely affects their value. I'd suspect this to be the case with this car but you never know when auction fever is involved. The fact the front clip is incorrect for an L series should also count against it for an informed buyer.