430 - Spider roof problems | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Spider roof problems

Discussion in '360/430' started by Marcoboxer, Mar 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    You were absolutely right. It’s a casting mark. BTW, my $8k comment was for new fabric on the roof. Not the entire structure. And looking at the issue with a fresh glass of wine, it seems the bar that provides shape to the roof was not moving correctly. As correctly identified earlier, the elastic is useless and allowed the bar to remain in a forward position, which in turn, prevents the roof from folding flat enough to fit. Reaching in and flipping the bar back allowed the roof to fold flat enough. So in short, the elastic is shot, I don’t have a cracked part, it’s still not lined up correctly when the roof is closed, but it is functioning. Has anyone replaced the soft top themselves? I’m wondering what’s really involved....but that may be the wine talking.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2NA likes this.
  2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I have a guy here that I send cars to who does upholstery and tops. It's not something I would do myself. There are almost certainly guys near you that do it. Ask around and find a good one.

3. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Just to close out on this. Firstly, thanks to everyone that took the time to post, each suggestion helped with my trouble shooting. For anyone reading this thread, start with checking the lubrication of the roof, inspect the cables when the roof is half open, check the condition of the elastic (this is one of my major issues) & make sure there is sufficient fluid in the system. All the above can be done in 45 mins. If you still have problems after that.....you may have a real problem.

I think I'm still looking at replacing the fabric on the roof, but everything seems to function well, if not totally aligned as I'd like. Of course, I could just fold the roof down and forget about it and go drive the darned thing. :)

4. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Just curious where the talk of $8000 fabric cost and $36000 for the full job comes from.
    I am assuming the $36000 job must have been for the entire top mechanism with every mechanical, hydraulic, and fabric part replaced.

I see more than one online vendor of 360/430 tops for well under $3000.

5. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    The $8k number was one I pulled out of thin air. The $36k I believe came from someone very knowledgeable and involved replacing the entire roof mechanism. So, I'd take the $36k to be a real number based on the experience of someone that works on these cars for a living. My number ($8k) has no basis in truth, just a SWAG. I am surprised nobody updated the number with a realistic estimate for replacing the canvas on a 360/430...given the age of these cars & someone must have done this. I do see the canvas part for sale around $2k.