458 - Shift delay | FerrariChat

458 Shift delay

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by TUTTSF, Mar 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I have a '13 458 with 11k miles that has developed a noticeable delay when up shifting. On light throttle it seems smooth and quick but with medium or full throttle there is a pause enough to feel your momentum is interrupted and a little jerk before engaging the next gear, down shifts are normal.

First thought is to reset the car with the negative battery terminal, no codes are being displayed on the dash.

All suggestions are welcomed, or if you have had this happen to you what did you try.

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Sometimes mine will have 'auto' or '---' (manual shift), but have an arrow next to the gear indicator. If the arrow is pointing in the opposite direction of the shift I want to make, it takes longer. I assumed the computer had the 2nd clutch engaging the gear in the wrong direction, thus the delay.

3. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    This happens in manual and auto in every gear

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Sorry, no help then. That is all I can add to the discussion :)

5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Slightly unrelated, but I wonder if changing gearbox oil will result in smoother, faster shifting.....

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. eurocg

eurocg Karting

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Full Name:
    C
    I have a 13 with 8500 miles that does the same thing. She just had her 2 year service performed and in Auto, she shifts like glass. When i switch to Manual, while in RACE mode, if feels like an old school SMG once in a while. Doesn't do it all the time, mostly at medium peddle at mid rpm shifts. 3-5k revs.

Baitschev likes this.
  7. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Reset the battery and at first nice tight shifting then it started doing the same thing but slightly better but still "smg" feel

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Reset the battery ? (Can we reset a battery?)

What do you mean … put in an absolutely new battery or just disconnected it ?

9. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I would assume he disconnected it to 'reset the computer'.

I think I experienced what he described today. It was full throttle, CT off, manual shift mode. It happened several times. I *think* in my case it is the shift happens when I release the shift paddle, not when I pull the paddle.

Any help?

10. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Yes it's in your manual j/k

Yes I should have said reset the ecu by disconnecting the neg battery terminal.

I had the last of my 7 free services in January, I spoke to an independent shop and he thought it might be low trans fluid, I doubt it but if it is that I will happily take it as the alternative might get expensive. I drop her off Monday (3/30) for diagnosis.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    If you read my thread YOLO, you can see how easy you can renew your own car AGM battery for $ 120.

All troubles will be gone !