Skitish handling on white lines | FerrariChat

Skitish handling on white lines

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Nick1078, Mar 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Hi everyone from England
    I hope your all keeping well in the situation the whole world is facing at the moment.

Spring is just starting here at the moment and I've managed to get the Fezza out a couple of times before lock down.

My car always seems very skitsh when I go over white lines like over taking etc.
    I had this in my last Maserati and I cured it by putting Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it.
    I dont like the P Zero to be fair as it never gets warm enough in the UK to get to their full potential.

Is it just tyres?

Has anyone put Michelin on there Cali T?

Thanks in advance Nick

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Have just put the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4Ss on my Cali, a 2012. Have about 1 - 2 K miles on them. They replaced MPSSs, which I put about 17 K miles on. Have never had that issue with overtaking and white lines, and I do a lot of it as I mostly drive on two-lane country roads. How old are your tires? How is the tread looking?
    T

Nick1078 likes this.
  3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Trying different tires is a cheap and easy test.

Nick1078 likes this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Nick,

Does it happen always, or just in wet weather conditions?

Tires ate definitely a prime suspect, namely the Pirelli P Zero Nero. Had them in two cars and disliked them: subpar grip all around, awful performance and little feedback even when warmed up, average life, and noisy.

Best tires for a Ferrari V8, imvho, are the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

Themaven and Nick1078 like this.
  5. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Had the Michelins on 2016 CalT and never felt slip on a heavy white painted line. Same on the Portifino. However, on my 488 GTB, when cold on a tight, slow speed turn (like off a traffic light and turning), they will slip under full throttle. Think it is more in the electronics and power available than the tires.

Nick1078 likes this.
  6. Veloman

Veloman Rookie

Feb 16, 2019
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I have a 2012 Cali with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and likewise have never experienced a tire issue with overtaking or white lines.

JotaEle, Nick1078 and tomc like this.
  7. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Not sure on the age of the tyres as they where on when I bought the car in October. Plenty of meat on them though.
    Think I'll invest in some Michelin.
    regards Nick

8. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Hi Nuno
    It's worst in the wet and when it's cold. It's not slipping it just feels like when I go over the white lines the car becomes unsettled.
    It just makes your heart beat slightly like something is going to go wrong for a split second if get my meaning?

regards Nick

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nick1078 likes this.
  10. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Another semi random question, do the center lines have rumble strips in the UK? They do on the two lane roads here in our corner of Texas.
    Depending on the type, they can be raised or milled into the asphalt. Going over those might exacerbate any poor handling dynamics...T

12. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    The white lines are slightly raised but no rumble strips.
    That's what I was wondering, is it just the way the car handles?
    On my old Maserati if the P Zero tyre hit anything like a man hole cover it felt like the car was stepping out due to the different temperature of the different material on the road.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The Michelines is the best and most used tyre for the Cali, Cali T and Porto. Get rid of those Pirellis and use the Porto MPS4S spec tyres. The MPSS is great, but the MPS4S is a step up from the MPSS.

14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I haven’t tried them yet, but I’ve also heard from a friend that it’s true.

Can’t wait to try them, because I hold the MPSS in very high esteem. The best tyres I’ve ever had on a supercar. If the 4S is even better, it must be great fun indeed.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  15. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks. I'll do that. The MPSS transformed my last car after removing the horrible P Zero Corsa
    regards Nick

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I second this. I had P Zeros on all my Ferraris and have swapped them all out, first for MPSS, and more recently for MPS4Ss. Transformation. Particularly in what you describe, the skipping over surface changes. The P Zeros are particularly bad in the cold, and wet, and if they get a bit old. Brittle.
    Be sure you get MPS4Ss, and not MPS4s. Easy to confuse.

Nick1078 likes this.