308 not getting coolant to radiator. Ideas? | FerrariChat

308 not getting coolant to radiator. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by climb, Mar 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Driving my 1980 308 gts’i’ last night and noticed the temp hitting the midway point and thinking it was premature to do so as it was cool out. As it drove it ticked passed halfway and started to climb. Pulled it into garage before it hit the 3/4 mark. Fans not coming on. I put a jumper between the thermo switch in radiator. They still don’t come on even with A/C on, which is supposed to turn one on. Radiator seems cool. So, I’m thinking it must be a water pump or thermostat. My question is shouldn’t the fans of come on when I put a jumper on the two leads? I checked the fuses and replaced one of the fan relays but still they don’t come on. Should I try a new thermostat or thermal switch before trying to dig into the water pump? The pump seems to be turning and the belt is turning. Ideas? Tips? Thanks..

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #2 2NA, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Get an IR thermometer gun from Harbor Freight.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Make sure it's full of coolant. You might need to bleed the air out. Run it and measure the temps. The fans won't come on until at least 180 F at the radiator.

JL350 likes this.
  3. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I’ve got that thermometer. I can tell the radiator isn’t hot with my hand though.

4. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Getting over 195 on the dash gauge and the fans always come on somewhere just before halfway on the dash gauge. Only time one didn’t come on was years ago and it was so to a faulty relay. Neither are coming on here.

5. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Bled the radiator screw as usual.

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Perhaps the thermostat has failed.

climb likes this.
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Check fuses and wiring as they should always come on with a jumper at the switch.

That said, if your rad is not heating you don't have flow from the engine,
    T stat stuck closed or possibly a big vapor lock in the piping???

Get the nose up and open the radiator bleed....

Failure pattern of the tstat is to go to like 240 and finally open...

climb likes this.
  8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Back to the thermos switch, they csn "cook" from going overtemp and never self heal, so go get one for an 81 VW Rabbit and slam it in there...

But, your problem is not the switch if a jumper does not fire at least one fan.

climb likes this.
  9. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks

10. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I think your right about that as the night it happened the radiator was hot so the thermostat must of opened. Just odd that both the switch and thermostat would go at same time. The drive the day before both were fine. I’ll go with the switch first. Hard to tell if I jumped it properly since one of the spade connector ends is facing down and has to be felt with the alligator clip end to clamp.

11. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Thermostat is not opening so there is no flow to the radiator. R & R thermostat.

climb and waymar like this.
  12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Any info on the right thermostat to use? Who sells them? I’ll do a search too but if anyone has the skinny that’d be great. :)

13. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Ok. Got the thermometer going. Tested my tongue (94F). Drove car and like previously temp climbed off the Zero to mid way fast once it warmed up. At the 225 ish mark on the gauge I turned it off without the fans ever coming on. Temp readings were this: expansion tank 165. Top of thermostat cover 135. Metal pipe to front radiator ( in engine compartment) 140. Front bottom hose or radiator ( passenger side) 95. Exit hose at top of radiator 93. I purged air at thermostat and radiator bleed screw longer than normal and even allowed a little coolant foam to spew in a effort to get more air out. Noticed too that sitting at an angle (18 degree or so) on my driveway held the temp gauge at the midway point for about 5 minutes but as soon as I backed it out and got level it climbed again. Any more thoughts? Insight? Thanks..

14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The fans aren't going to run until you have at least 190 in the radiator. Keep running/bleeding/driving.

Red 27 and climb like this.
  15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It seems to me you're chasing multiple problems, yet trying to solve problem A by investigating problem B.

You said in your first post, "Fans not coming on. I put a jumper between the thermo switch in radiator. They still don’t come on even with A/C on, which is supposed to turn one on."

This has absolutely nothing to do with the temperature of the coolant or thermostat. If the fans don't activate when jumped directly to power, you have an electrical problem. Until you solve this problem, the fans are never going to turn even if the coolant goes thermonuclear. So get the fans at least working when jumped, then move onto the coolant flow issue.

This is doubly-true for the right-side (AC) fan. If it doesn't turn when you hit the AC fan switch, your problem isn't the coolant or the thermostat or the overflow tank or a hose.

ricambiamerica.com

Nuvolari, Portofino and lm2504me like this.
  16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    So, finally got the inner liner out to get access to the thermostat. After taking the bolts off the housing and loosening the hose clamps it won’t budge! What should I do to get the housing off? Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well, take the hose off. Then you'll have more access to work around the gasket and pull it off.

climb likes this.
  18. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Ok after cutting the hose I got the housing off. I go to take thermostat out and it doesn’t want to come off. Is there a technique? Don’t want to pry or scratch around the seal. Should I try pulling with pliers or going around the seal with a plastic knife?

19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Does the rubber seal around it come out too as one piece or is the thermostat placed into the rubber ring?

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The rubber seal and thermo are 2 separate pieces. Both pull off/out.

21. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Got it out.

22. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    The eagle has landed!

23. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    climb likes this.
  24. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Test it in a pan of water on the stove. With a thermometer you should be able to watch when or if it opens. I always test thermostats before installing them. It's good insurance.

climb likes this.