Mondial T Tonneau Cover - | FerrariChat

Mondial T Tonneau Cover -

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jimzdancewicz, Mar 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    What to do in a pandemic? While cleaning out the garage, I finally figured out how the Mondial Tonneau cover works (I think). Not sure if that is the correct name? It is supposed to be used as a Tonneau? Or was it used to cover the top during shipping. Is that another cover? Pondering these important questions with all this free time on my hands.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

OpenAirFan and ronfrohock like this.
  2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I want to know as well.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    It is a sprinkle/light rain interior protector. Not for haven down pours.
    Very nice... mine did not come with one. Must have been taken out by one of the previous owners.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Thanks Syata. Do you know if this is installed correctly? Can’t find any pictures

5. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    It looks like you I stalled it correctly. Did the cover come in a bag? My mind is a little cloudy if there was a storage bag. You may find pictures of the cover installed in the internet. There also are aftermarket covers that sell this.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Yes it has a black storage back that fits so I think it's original. However there is no logo on it. It's a very sturdy piece. I do have a aftermarket cover that is sort of a PIA to put on and take off.

7. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I have an 86 cabrio........the cover is shown in the owners manual, near the back I think. You have it installed correctly. I understand it's use was to cover the interior and provide light rain protection.......all so you dont have to undo the rag top cover and then fight putting the rag top back up. More of a convenience item. I personally love the look. So 80's stealthy and so unique to the Mondial 3.2 I have not seen another cover among the Ferrari brothers. It almost has a Bertone look to it. PS I also love using mine at car shows. It keeps people from climbing into my car.

8. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Here is a pdf of Owners Manual Page 104 showing the cover

Attached Files:

9. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Thanks for that image. Looks correct. Does anyone know if this was standard equipment or an option on Mondials or specifically T's

10. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    Dear @jimzdancewicz,
    I just got a NOS tonneau cover from eurospares UK. I wonder how the straps are fixed? The mirrors are quiet obvious, but all the other straps have no hooks or something. Do you have a detail picture of how you made this? And another question: Is ist possible to leave the roof open for a month or so, while the car is in the garage and protected with the tonneau cover without damaging the roof be leaving it open for such a long time? In summer time it is a little cumbersome to close the roof frequently, the tonneau cover may be a good workaround.
    Regards
    Gerhard

11. Mondi Cab

Mondi Cab Karting

Oct 9, 2019
    EU
    Full Name:
    J.Schulz
    Hey OpenAirFan,

regarding leaving the hood down all summer, I suggest NOT to.
    Did that once with another car and the rear window kept a dull line from where it was folded down all that time.
    If it is your own garage, just put the hood up, but leave it unbuckled. That way there are no creases, but also no tention on it.

my 2 cents

12. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I would add that it’s good to fully attach / close your roof from time to time as I have found that my roof tends to shrink. And, if it is difficult to fully close, let the car sit in the sun for a while and close it slowly - applying tension by adjusting your roof sliders a little at a time.

Fully closing / latching from time to time seems to help. And when you store your roof, it’s best to clean the window and store with a microfiber towel covering the window.

And don’t forget to have a friend guide the b pillars past the body panel on the way down and again on the way up which will help to preserve them.

Let me know if something breaks. I have the solutions.

13. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    Thank you guys for your valuable comments. I've my Mondial convertible the first year now,
    previously I had the coupé. The soft top of a Mondial is a little special. But I'll learn with your help.

14. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    Just another question to @ronfrohock; My b pillar on the right hand side is broken. I've a NOS spare part (EUROSPARES) already here, but I don't find any flat rivets. They are not part of the technical manual and have no Ferrari part number. EUROSPARES has no solution an nobody I asked for has something similar. Any suggestions from your side how to attach a new b pillar?

15. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Send me your address and I will send you the rivets.
    Be careful with your new old stock. Be sure to have someone guide it pas]st the pinch points when opening and closing the roof.

As a note: I have been asked to make more B Pillars and I am prepared to do this but the reality is that they are not inexpensive. The tooling alone is over $10K.

16. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    Dear Ron, you've got a PM with my address. Beside that I wonder, if the part could be made of a different plastic instead of rubber? Then it may be something for 3-D printing. Additionally, instead of the rivets, threaded bushes could be inserted for screwing instead of riveting. May that work?

17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Hi,
    Your rivets will gout today.
    Currently, there are no RP materials that offer a gasket / soft material that will provide a sealing condition.
    You could drill and tap or use an insert but rivets are a simpler solution. Less operations / same result.

18. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Karting

Apr 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kevin K
    wow very useful I have trying to under stand how this cover works for a few years I always thought I had the wrong one!