355 - F355 rear mesh recon | FerrariChat

355 F355 rear mesh recon

Discussion in '348/355' started by MikeeB355, Mar 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    Ok, I'm bored already so I decided to do something I've been meaning to for a while now. I've removed the mesh panel at the back of the car, the bit with the F355 badge as it was a bit jaded and slightly rusty.
    My question is should I repaint it with a Matt, satin or gloss finish? I'm also toying with the idea of repainting the F355 GTS badge as well, maybe in rosso corsa to make it really stand out.
    Thoughts?

2. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Always nice to make what's looking weathered and old look new again. I'm more traditionalist than not, so I'd respray the mesh panel as close to the OEM finish as practical, but I'd leave the badge alone. Your car though.

MikeeB355 likes this.
  3. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    I ended up spraying it a satin black which left a really nice finish and decided to leave the badge alone. Just need a couple of rivets to finish it off

audi_328 and Qavion like this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you use paint stripper to remove the old paint? Also, did you apply a primer coat?

Thanks

5. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    I fully degreasedit first, then gave it a light sand and then used a rust preventative black spray paint

Qavion likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Can you powdercoat it?

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    you probably could, but getting the paint off completely prior tot he powder would be your challenge. Media blasting it may warp it, you could chemically strip it

8. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Media blasting could warp it, but it shouldn't assuming the operator is competent. Selecting the right media, depending on the desired finish, and air pressure are key.

Cerakote is another option. Their air cured coatings are a diy option, with the right gun and safety equipment. I've done it in my garage.