Tooth found in differential drain | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Tooth found in differential drain

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Feb 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    what year car and how many miles when the problem happened? What kind of noise was it making?

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    1987 TR 36000 miles. When I purchased the car it was noisy in 1st gear. Previous owner said he asked PO and said was always noisy. Changed gear oil soon as I owned it, nothing in old oil. 3-4 years later changed gear oil again and noticed small piece of gear tooth. I Rebuilt gear box with Newman diff. also new 1st and 2nd gear.( 2nd gear small one was spalling). 1st gear large, tooth fine looking but missing small 2 pieces. Small 1st gear was spalling badly. After rebuild no noise and recent gear oil change shows clean magnets.

c4b4the04 and xplodee like this.
  3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thank you!

bob_briley likes this.
  4. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy

5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Any pics of the process? I'm especially interested in when the engine comes off the transmission.

6. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy

I'll be sure to take lots once I get that far in. Currently the cradle is still in place. I have exhaust and body work off, things are getting disconnected and documented so I don't forget. When I did my belts last June (less than a year and I get to do it all again) I had the motor back in within hours. This time it will be weeks if I am lucky, months if things don't go well so I need to document. When I do lift the two apart I will document. Thinking of running my Go-Pro while I work on the driveline, too. All depends where the car ends up in the interim. If this Coronavirus thing closes schools, I will have plenty of time to work on it...providing I'm healthy to do it

7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    so long as you arent elderly I’m sure you'll be fine.

8. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Good luck to the thread starter, sounds like you're able to do the work yourself and save some money there. I've wanted a TR for decades, but stories like this make me realize that though I may be able to afford the car, I just don't have the stomach for the maintenance should I be "unlucky."

c4b4the04 likes this.
  9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Rory,
    I understand your thoughts.

My Testarossa was laid up from 2006 until this year for a variety of personal issues. Not the car’s fault. Mine.

Yes, if I broke parts it would be a high cost adder and sad for sure... but...
    As I now drive this car once again, it is... well.... almost spiritual. I can ‘feel’ the inspirations of Enzo himself. I can hear Niki Lauda with his flat 12 in every shift.

It runs so sweet....

Hard to put into words.

In the interim, I had an ‘04 360 Spider. Nice car... but just a car. Sold it.

These cars have ‘issues’ for sure. That said.... I would not trade it for anything else.

Life is too short.... and getting shorter by the day. This car has been a real treat in my life. Owned it for 23 years now and am thankful for every day.

10. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Great points and I'm sure your car is wonderful to drive and worth every penny to you. I'll continue to be jealous over here...

11. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
  12. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    I bought one of these for my car, ALL NEW INTERNALS!

13. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Well as a school teacher, I've got a lot of time on my hands all of a sudden. I'm working to drop the driveline as we speak, and I'll have help to overhaul the trans. I've gotten my first and second gear combos in, they look very well made.

I'll agree, stuff is $$ for this car. This winter was new brakes, new dash drawn in CAD and cut out, new shift bushings, new radiators and fans and now this. I will have owned the car one year in June and the motor will have been out twice... I'm hoping I'll be good for a while this time!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Rory J likes this.
  14. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Can you speak to how it handles? I've never heard of this company. Anyone else running one with some experience long term? I'm still going with Newman's set up as it's battle tested (and I'm a noob to differentials setups). I'm all about creative solutions elsewhere but this one seems too risky to get wrong.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    I hope so too, good luck with it!

16. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Better grip off the line and comes out of the corners better, NEW posi plates inside!

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #93 Rifledriver, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    TR posi can be set for substantially less slippage just by stacking the posi plates in a different order and new plates are readily available and not that expensive.

I do not generally set them tighter because it makes the car more tail happy and on wet roads it can cause people problems.

As far as off the line grip, that is limited by the fragile transmission main shaft. They do this with a stock set up. Do you really want to put more load on it?

That shaft is about as big as my finger. Was designed for skinny tires and a lot less power and torque.

Attached Files:

18. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    The posi tension is adjustable and lets not forget

LESS EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Well the driveline is out and my Northern Tool panel truck is perfect. I welded four U shape brackets to it and it’s working out great. I’ve got the top of the motor apart to do the coolant hoses. Found a lot of washers under the fuel system, old service parts I’m sure. These hoses were 32 years old. Time to go.

Any suggestions how to lift the motor off the gearbox? I’m interested in where you lifted, straps or bolts, etc. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Tape over the intake ports. Check my gear box post on gearbox separation. The gear box is heavy. Lift the top of the engine off the gearbox, sort of hidden nuts under flywheel.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Gearbox is 240lbs.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Cassidy, Your total engine cradle is similar to the one I made.

Dave

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    To help those identify an M diff here it is. There's 4 windows on the left side to allow the broach to pass through the housing and cut the clutch pack slots. The broached slots are the original reason for having the open end that was later welded shut becoming the weak spot. I don't know why they took this approach on the heavier more powerful cars when they didn't on the 308 or 246.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TestaDDS and c4b4the04 like this.