Degreeing Cams | FerrariChat

Degreeing Cams

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nino1964, Nov 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    Degreeing my cams on ‘80 308 GT4. The preliminary results, using lobe center method, showed intake was was slightly offset inboard (needs retarding compared to cap index lines) but the exhaust requires lots of advance. I’m using cam specifications for 78 and later 308 GTB: intake 16 btdc open center 106
    48 abdc close center 72

Can someone be so kind to validate this cam data for a 1980 GT4?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    When I degreed my cams I used .050" valve lift (QV).

mwr4440 likes this.
  3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    +1 on my ‘82 308GTSi

4. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #4 mwr4440, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    FORGET THE DAMN ASSEMBLY MARKS.

They are near USELESS after you put the cams back in, using them to do it, so no valves hit pistons upon a full 720 degree crank rotation.

After that, those ASSEMBLY, NOT 'TIMING' Marks are 99% USELESS in the Valve Timing procedure.

Use the Shop Manual data for timing your valves correctly.

NOT THOSE €%:&&@=; £ Marks.

From your pics, with that gauge, you are on the Very Correct Track. :)

March ON !!!

:)

DinoParts, Stefan and johnk... like this.
  5. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    I think the WSM cam specifications are for euro models. I was hoping to get confirmation on these numbers as being correct for a 1980 USA GT4.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Ferrari never made a 1980 308GT/4. The last year of of production was 1979. Your car has the same cam timing as a 78/79 US Spec 308GTB (above)
    If you look at your engine block, the engine number prefix should be F106AE, which is a 308 carburated motor with catalytic converters.

The cam timing data that you have in your last post is correct for your car. One sure fire way to check this is to look at the part numbers on the cams themselves.
    In you photo above, I can see the number A111694 (which is the same cam as 78/79 US spec 308GTB). The other cams should have the numbers: S111696, S113258, A111695 on them. A stands for aspirazione (Intake) and S stands for scarico (exhaust). The later 2 valve injected 308 motors 80-82 used the same cam timing.

While I agree that the cam assembly marks are not super accurate for setting cam timing, they should be closer than the marks depicted in your photo.
    I use the factory method, which is to set the valve clearances at .5mm/.020" on cylinders 1 and 5 valves, and then use the factory cam timing marks that are on the flywheel. These marks will also confirm the cam timing. There should be intake opening marks (AA16, Aperta Aspirazione) and exhaust closing marks (CS14, Chiuso Scarico) on the flywheel for each cylinder bank 1/4, 5/8.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

Nino1964 likes this.
  7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I would add that if your going to degree your cams, you may want to find TDC with you dial indicator and use that as opposed to the flywheel marks (although they may be correct). You will need to find TDC for # 1 for one bank and #5 for the other bank.

8. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    That pic does appear to be about 1 belt tooth 'Out' which is 12 Degrees.

HOWEVER ...

RifleDriver posted a few pics a few years back(the pics are still here) where indeed the Assembly Marks were that far 'OFF' when the cam was 'Perfectly' timed.

And at least one pic was of a cam from a Testarossa. :eek:

How the cam Assembly Mark could be struck THAT FAR OFF is anyone's guess.

Maybe a 3-Bottle as opposed to a 2-Bottle (vino) lunch? :confused:

9. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Interesting.

My 81's flywheel has no such valve timing marks.

Only marks for TDC 1-4 and TDC 5-8.

I DID Create those valve timing marks on my flywheel; however, using a darn accurate maritime compass, large magnifying glass, a sharpie and a boat-load, near poop-load, of patience.

Saabguy and ferrariowner like this.
  10. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    Brian (San Francisco Motor Works) thank you for the information. My concern is how far off the assembly marks the exhaust cam is set. In checking with the cam degreeing method per WSM, I want to be sure my cam specifications are correct. This process has begun as a trouble shoot for excess fuel heating the the cat of the 1-4 bank and the need for a belt change.
    My first determination of tdc was first done using my dial indicator, degree wheel and the top dead center indicator purchased on line. Using these products, I rotated the the the crank to achieve maximum lift of piston number one. I noted the degree at which this happened. I then continued to rotate until the the piston began (.0001) down. The range of degrees of dwell I divide by two and considered this result tdc. I did this several times and had some concern for the accuracy of my data because of the play center cylinder of the purchased tdc finder. I then tried my second method to determined tdc with the piston stop. Piston stop method seems to be very simple and eliminate some error. The piston stop method validated the tdc that I determined after multiple tries using tdc finder and dial indicator.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #11 johnk..., Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    TDC is not at the center of the dwell, as you define it. It is at the piston's highest point. If you find the highest point you can rotate from there in either direction by the amount you are calling the dwell. That is, there is a "dwell" to each "side" (CW or CCW rotation) of TDC.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferraris method is pretty simple, requires no dial indicators except to confirm TDC marks or indicator mount tooling or degree wheels. Its quite accurate and repeatable and is hard to screw up.

13. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    For me it seems easier to put a dial gauge on a tappet and a timing wheel on the front and then measure the peak lift degrees (instead of changing shims, measuring, changing shims back again.) If I had a shim removal tool it might make the factory method a bit easier.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

The Ferrari method? :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

derekw likes this.
  15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Easy to understand the confusion.

Really though they developed a very easy way to do it quite accurately with minimal tools and special equipment. They felt it important enough that people not extensively equipped should be able to do it.

16. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Good to see you back, Brian.

:)

17. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
  18. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
  19. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Lucky you— looks like you got a mid-week engine assembled before lunch!

mwr4440 and Nino1964 like this.