250 engine water pressure test cylinder heads | FerrariChat

250 engine water pressure test cylinder heads

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by christc, Mar 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear All,

here comes an engine question.

I have mounted both heads on my Gte engine and want to pressure test the head gasket sealings.

Two questions:
    1.) The 330 handbook says to test with 125 psi, thats about 8.5 bar. This is very high compared to the normal running conditions! What pressure do you use for testing?

2.) I blanked of the side exit where the water coming from the water pump enter the block and use a warm water hose to feed water via the water rail running beside the block. I will use the y-piece in the V between the heads to a.) let air escape while filling the system and b.) apply pressure via a hand pump with manometer. See pictures. What do the experts think? Am I able to fill the block with water this way or are there better ways?

Any comments on how you do it are very welcomed.

Thanks a lot.
    Christopher

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you test without waterpump installed then you could use those 125 psi. but never do this high pressure with the waterpump.
    when you start first put on only about 0,2 bar, then raise the pressure after each hour up to those 8 bar with steps up to 1,2 bar in 0,2 bar, and then with 1 bar raising. same you may do when stop testing otherwise.
    those 125 psi are high, sure, but there are now rubber gaskets or other soft gasket material.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I would not test the head gaskets at any pressure much above the radiator cap release pressure. Especially with the engine cold. What type of cylinder head gaskets did you use? If they are Elring, then you are really asking for trouble.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    I plan to test with max. 20/25psi. As 1 head has been skimmed much more than the other in the past I use one thicker gasket of 1.9mm on this head. And yes, this one is from elring, that is the main reason for wanting to test upfront because I have heard about problems with the standard elring gasket. This way I can check and rectify if necessary. I have now ordered a set of gaskets from Australia from Murray Glegg as recommended by Tom Yang to be on the save side if I need to change.

5. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Just wanted to let you know outcome. Tested engine today with 25 psi. Used hot water. For setup see pictures. Checked also bores with endoscope. Everything absolutely water tight. Just one small exception which would have been hard to notice if I did not check this way. One of the water way plugs on the head below camshaft is slightly weeping. Strange as heads have been pressure tested but easy to change in this state. Thanks for all advice. Happy that I did check!

BR
    Christopher

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    photo from the leak please

7. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Glad you stuck to your guns, and that it worked out for you!