Odd Spare Wheel | FerrariChat

Odd Spare Wheel

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Len Ely, Mar 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Len Ely

Len Ely Rookie

Aug 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonard Ely
    I am the 4th owner of a 1968 330GTC. When I purchased it it came with this spare wheel and tire. Has anyone else ever seen one of these. It does not look like it has been painted. The car was delivered with Campagnolo's. So, theoretically I guess it should have a Campagnolo spare. I believe the second owner purchased a set of Borrani wheels which I also have. No mention of a spare wheel being supplied. The tire that is on the wheel still has, partially, the tire label so it appears that the tire was the original with the wheel. I have had the car judged and have been told this is not the original spare wheel. Any way to confirm or dispute this?

Attached Files:

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    How about posting a jpeg instead of whatever that file format it that I am afraid to click on?

3. Len Ely

Len Ely Rookie

Aug 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonard Ely
  4. nart

nart Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    What is the part number stamped in the rim? There is a decal on the hub, is it not a Ruote Borrani decal?

5. Len Ely

Len Ely Rookie

Aug 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonard Ely
  6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    RW 4039 is correct for late 275 two cam, 275 GTB/4, 330/365 GTC/S. The 14" Campys can be hard to find though a set sold on BAT in January. Just post a wanted listing in the Classified section, one will turn up.

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    As a road wheel, as a spare wheel, or both?

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The close up pictures sure look to me like it was spray painted. The rim is aluminum, the center and spokes are steel, paint is the only thing that will make them all look the same.

If the car came with Campagnolos it should have one as as a spare. That means no, this is not original. As far as judging it judging rules, standards and methods are all over the map so it depends who did it. Generally speaking the spare should match the road wheels.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The SEFAC invoice usually specifies if the car was produced with wire wheels. This is the standard used by Ferrari Classiche. Wire wheels may have been fitted post factory by Chinetti or by the selling dealer. I believe for FCA purposes all 5 wheels need to match. It's safe to say that isn't the original tire. GTC/S wasn't delivered with 70 series tires and the XWX series was introduced in the early/mid 1970s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login