360 - Thought i was a 3 day job ,now turns into a 7 day job | FerrariChat

360 Thought i was a 3 day job ,now turns into a 7 day job

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Mar 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I think my last straw is that I put too much coolant and the pressure really gives the exchanger a hard time

tifosi101 likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The pressure is determined by the pressure cap, not the amount of coolant. The cooling system is designed to run at the pressure regulated by the cap for purposes of cavitation reduction and boiling point of the coolant. More or less coolant does not change that.

2NA likes this.
  3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    A healthy cooling system could withstand significantly more pressure than the cap will permit. Your heat exchanger has failed, I doubt it was anything you did that caused it.

one4torque likes this.
  4. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    Brother I feel your pain. My car was shifting strangely in 1st (bucking). I thought is was my new clutch needed adjusting. 9 days later and 6 flushes later.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I did get a better price from Scuderia($626) vs Ferrari$1900( Their wholesale cost is $999). For the heat exchanger.

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

this is a flush of coolant or flush of gearbox?

6. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    Coolant. The gearbox looked the same I drove the car way too long not knowing the problem. The gearbox was flushed with a special fluid and appears ok. Shifts without problems. We are waiting the arrival of a new thermostat today. I hope to have it back tomorrow. I dread finding out the cost. Probably something less than the national debt of Easter Island.

24000rpm likes this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Don't worry. Its not that bad cost wise.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That was "Your" dealers price, not FNA list. Dealers make their own prices all the time.

9. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    The relationship I have with the parts guy at my local Ferrari dealer is pretty good. If he can compete with Scuderia he will. What I mentioned above is what he told me.

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

What was your method of cleaning up inside the gearbox ? I am planning to use pressurized water into the gearbox oil fill hole and then wait a few days to dry it up. Then add 75w90 oils to rinse it again.

11. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    My technician flushed the gearbox with a brand of automatic transmission fluid, not water. I’ll ask him tomorrow what brand of fluid he used and how he flushed it.

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Please, thank you. Ask him how was that done and many times he flushed and if he started the car.
    Also, how was the coolant flushed? pressured air?

13. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Sorry to hear that, after 15 to 20 years not uncommon for the heat exchanger to fail. Mine's currently in the shop right now to get couplings replaced which one was leaking a little bit, at the same time I just bought a new exchanger from Scuderia and the paper intake gaskets as well.

one4torque likes this.
  14. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    Mine recently failed as well, took 3 gearbox flushes and 2 coolant flushes to clean it out. Planning to drive 100 miles or so and then do both again just to be safe. One thing recommended to me was to consider replacing the water pump and thermostat while you’re all the way in there.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

brookliner7 likes this.
  15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    For the gearbox, you aren't going to drive around a lot with the ATF in there so use whatever is cheap. The goal is a thinner, high detergent, fluid to clean up the oil. It can take 3-4 flushes to get it clean. You may drive it but just enough to move stuff around.

Coolant I don't recall what he told me but again, you want higher detergent to break up the oil.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I use whatever oil is cheap. I run it but on the hoist...no load. Just do that 3 or 4 times.

The coolant is different. The oil floats so when drained it stays on top and coats everything internally while draining. I suck it out the top where the oil is. Goes much faster.

CCRider66, 24000rpm and Skidkid like this.
  17. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    I just spoke to my guy. He put automatic transmission fluid in, let it sit for a few hours then drained it (did not run the car). Then he put the recommended gear oil in and providing the cooling system is ok he ran the car on the lift shifted through the gears a few times. He let it sit for a while then drained and replaced. It is important to really get the cooling system clean. He had to disconnect the front radiator hose to drain it properly. If you don't the oil will coat the inside of the radiators preventing the car from cooling properly. My car was much worse that yours appears. Good luck.

brookliner7 and 24000rpm like this.
  18. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Can you send me a PM as I can't send you one for some reason, I want to ask you about a car F/S that you have worked on.
    Sorry to hi-jack the thread.
    I never had to deal with this on my 360 while I owned one, I feel for you guys going thru this, I'm currently looking at getting another 360 or 430 and this is something that I'am adding to lowering the cost to purchase.

Rifledriver could you PM since I cannot pm you about a F430 that is listed for sale on FC that he says you have worked on and want to get your opinion on its condition.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2005-f430-f1-argento-nurburgring-bordeaux-25-620-miles.618163/

19. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
  20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That should be the high point in the system.

21. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    What is best opinion for changing the heat exchanger. I have seen two methods, one removing the upper intake for access, the other going through the access panel working from inside the car.

Also from my experience of having gear oil and water mix in the lower end of an outboard motor, once drained you can let it sit, in a clear container you can see the oil and water will separate and you could siphon the oil off the top. This approach could be used for your second or third flushes to minimize the amount of oil you use and need to dispose of by re using some of the flushing oil

22. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    They were able to remove it through the access panel, seats all the way forward.

23. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I've done it from the access panel. Take the complete water pump / thermostat assembly out and it's right there in the back of it. It's fiddly but totally doable. I have not taken the intake plenum out so I can't compare the 2 methods. You need small hands to facilitate the job.

Richard.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  24. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

im taking the gearbox out for replacing clutch so i'll access it from rear of engine(flywheel side)

25. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Removing the Plenum to replace the exchanger will give you an opportunity to change out the intake runner gaskets. More so if the gaskets were never changed out before.

24000rpm likes this.