The One Thing You Need to Become a Race Car Driver | FerrariChat

The One Thing You Need to Become a Race Car Driver

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by LightGuy, Mar 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The One Thing You Need to Become a Race Car Driver

Edit... PROFESSIONAL race car driver

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a30349106/racers-dont-succeed-on-luckebruary-2020/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=032120&utm_campaign=nl19763014&utm_term=AAA%20--%20High%20Minus%20Dormant%20and%2090%20Day%20Non%20Openers

I have said it another way.... lots of people WANT to be a professional (fill in the blank).
    Others NEED to be a professional.

Even for those that have the NEED the odds are crazy.

Burn your bridges.

But dont be surprised if you crash upon the rocks.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
  3. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Becoming a true professional race car driver requires many things. The sacrifice/commitment as Ross Bentley describes in the article is one of them. You also need talent. You need luck to get the right timing. The luck and timing is to find the right people at the right time to get the right opportunity. You also need lots of seat time. You need everything to fall into place (a good team owner, crew, engineer, car). Money can provide more seat time and exposure but you still need the first three. There are tons of really talented people out there with no rides or inconsistent rides. The factory guys with stable careers is extremely small (literally a handful of guys in USA in sports-car racing).

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is so much easier to become an MD or CEO of a company than a pro driver who earns a living racing. The few who do it are really quite special.

VAF84, Nuvolari, Bas and 6 others like this.
  5. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have a hard time saying Lance Stroll is Special. :D

I do agree those who "RACED" their way into a paying seat earned it.

Ky1e, Formula Uno and Texas Forever like this.
  6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The only difference between "amateur" race car drivers and "professional" race car drivers, is how much money they spend.

People who think they will get paid to drive a race car are not thinking very hard.

Nuvolari, Bas, Ky1e and 1 other person like this.
  7. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. I run amateur Champcar and Randy Pobst drove with us in Atlanta a few years ago. He was immediately 3 to 4 seconds a lap faster than all the drivers on our team and he had never turned a lap in our car. He also set the fastest lap for the day and our car was not half the race car of some others in the field. Money didn't buy his lap times. Not to say money isn't a big factor because I admit it is, but to say it is the only factor between a pro and amateur is silly and naive.

Bas, boxerman, Ky1e and 3 others like this.
  8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Lol. He wouldn't be there without his parents' money.

I know that racing schools, driving coaches, etc. try to make the claim that all you need to do is work hard to be a race car driver. The truth is, you need money. Big money. Or you won't get anywhere.

And another thing - without paying drivers, race series would collapse. F1 included.

Bas and brookliner7 like this.
  9. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    +1

There are tons of talented drivers who never get past go because they don't have the funding. My coach is a former Red Bull Junior F1 program driver. He didn't have the backing so now he coaches.

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Most of those who succeed to make a career of driving sports / race cars are actually coaching to make money, some are writing (or making videos) reviews - the number of "real" professional racers (i.e. people making money from race driving) is ridiculously low and even among those, many began with significant family funding.

Ky1e and Texas Forever like this.
  11. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Try to play the violin. harder than both.

plastique999 likes this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I tried to race professionally... kind of...I agree with the article. short of being the next Alan Prost, you need luck, and money but also huge desire...

I did Elf Winfield school in 1990, did Pilote Elf and did ok, but dropped out at the 2nd race. and then got an offer from couple of local CFFR teams. (Championship of Formula Renault France - in the South Alps region) so had to bring 120K Franc's at the time... about $25K so between hitting my parents up for a loan - $8K, I used my savings $5K and got the rest from my girl friend at the times uncle who owned a bunch of Tabac stores in Lausanne to Martigny Switzerland.... I got to put a Marlboro patch on my suit.... I did 6 races - crashed out in 2 ( both not my fault) and finished 4th in two first race finished 11th.... that was it ... could not afford any more... damage to the car was my responsibility ... cost me $6k... and I was working at the same time... I remember thinking - this is hard work. it was not fun any more. So I really respect drivers - even the Lance Stroll's of the world - because its hard work.... it may look fun, but its hard... or it was for me.

In terms of driving I was ok -not great, but was usually in the front mid pack... and even today I can run with pretty good drivers to a point ( I run a LO206 Kart) ... but you have to really want it... the desire has to be there all consuming. I feel lucky that I found that out early vs. having the feeling.... the folks at AMP call me a "gentleman racer" because I'm not always driving aggressively... I drive for fun... As I tell everyone ... there is not an F-1 seat for me after this race...

Bas, boxerman, LVP488 and 4 others like this.
  13. jgorscak

jgorscak Rookie

Jan 8, 2016
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    While money helps to get your foot in the door to ANYTHING, to be a professional race car driver takes talent more than anything else. These guys are truly special I dont' care what anyone says. I'm sure there have been 1000's of drivers (with money) who tried but just couldn't make it. Some maybe had bad timing and never got their "break" but I'm sorry... If you can throw 100mph you will be scouted, if you can put down insane lap times and consistently win in "amateur" pro racing, word gets around and you will be recruited. There is no such thing as luck... There are always those "against the rule" stories but I believe my opinion to be true 99% of the time.

Texas Forever and boxerman like this.
  14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Talent, desire and MONEY (lots and lots)

boxerman likes this.
  15. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Actually, the difference between a pro and amateur driver is a pro can put a car into a wall and walk away from it without a care in the world. Amateurs (trust fund hobbyists don't really count) realistically can't.

16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1

NMNMNMN likes this.
  17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Balls of steel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NürScud likes this.
  18. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    why is race car driving different re funding than any other sport? does family money make tom brady who he is? would he be playing in a 40 and over rec league if his parents were poor? are there poor athletes in other sports who dont get the chance because poor parents? what about chess players? i believe race car driving is like any other sport. talent is the key factor

19. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Different business models in other sports. In automobile racing, regardless of the type, there are very few paid drivers. You have to bring your own money, like Lance Stroll, or years ago Niki Lauda bringing his own money as well, or you much bring sponsorship money.

Most drivers are rich guys who are many times sponsoring their teammates.

Texas Forever and boxerman like this.
  20. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I don't ever recall open tryouts for Ferrari's formula 1 team.

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Maybe buying and maintaining a racing car is more expensive than a chess game or a soccer ball, I don't know...

22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i dont get your point. what major sport teams holds open tryouts? it might be a good idea for the ny sports teams i root for but thats another thread althogether

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ever see what hockey families go through time and money wise to get their kids playing? my plumber has an nhl all star son and i dont think its any different from car racing. if a kid shows promise in karting, he will find a way to upper levels. no different than other sports.

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Raw talent is the same as Tom Brady. yes. However pure sports games like Football, Basket Ball, Base Ball, don't require anywhere near the price of entry. you can play those games anywhere, anytime with basic equipment - and have your skill shine through.

In racing, not only do you have to have the raw talent... you have to have the tenacity to understand the technical side of racing, and then you have to have the money to have equipment that can showcase your talent. Being Ayrton Senna is a 10yr old F Ford racing against a modern FF factory team, you may look good here and there but you are not going to win. the window for a modern Racing Driver is very narrow... if you are going to be a pro. you can be semi-pro your entire life but usually, you are funding the activity vs. getting paid. if you waste your time and talent because you don't have the money ... those scouts will not find you...
    The guys who race professionally have a combo of talent, luck, and determination. they also have the ability to find money... which is the part that almost nobody tells you about because it's so difficult.

25. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    maybe but i have 1st hand knowledge of what it takes to get your child to be NHL all star player and i cant imagine its any easier or less expensive than racing.

Ky1e likes this.