Buying Rolex while traveling? | FerrariChat

Buying Rolex while traveling?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by desmomini, May 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm about to do some work in Spain.

Has anyone had experience with buying a high-end watch in Europe and bringing it back to the U.S.? I wonder if the VAT exemption works to make a big enough difference over U.S. dealer prices, and how exactly you reclaim your money.

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I’ve never spent the time to get the $$ back.

I bought a statue while In Italy and I don’t think there was a vat charge. Maybe because they shipped it?

I was surprised that I was contacted by a US agency to pay taxes on it after it got delivered

3. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I've usually bought all my watches abroad. I bought a Datejust II while in Dubai and saved 30% off MSRP. It was brand new and no tax chatged in the UAE. I just ear it back on my wrist rather then into the checked luggage.

4. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    You are looking for trouble.

Joe

5. SFM5s159

SFM5s159 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike C
    I've purchased two Rolex watches while in Mexico. Paid less than US retail and saved sales tax. Was legit, authorized dealer. Almost worth the trip only to make a watch purchase.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    What kind of trouble by wearing watch home?

7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #7 ylshih, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    I know someone who got caught doing that on a trip. I don't know if he got caught because the watch was too new, the serial number had a year code, or he had the papers packed in his bag or what gave him away. He had to pay the duty plus a fine. Plus he was automatically fully searched for the next 2-3 years on every re-entry. He had to write a letter pleading that he had learned his lesson and would never do it again, before they took him off the "always search" list.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Wow thats crazy story.

9. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Better to buy here on the grey market. I use feelgood watches. Don't mess with customs particularly if you have Global Entry. Not worth it

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Gotta ship the box and papers home and bring a watch roll, if you bring another one from home.

INRange and cls like this.
  11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've always been a little concerned about being accused (when bringing my existing watch back into the country) of trying to slip a new watch thru customs without declaring it. Anyway, there used to be a customs form one could complete and submit when leaving the country to prevent such a shake-down.

TiGumz likes this.
  12. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Rookie

Jul 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Johnson
    I can’t speak to Rolex specifics, but I just returned from a trip to the EU where my wife and daughter purchased some expensive handbags. Here’s a quick summary of the process:

Buy the item at a store - pay the price plus VAT.

Depending on the store, they will do the paperwork for you if you show your passport. You will have to use whichever third party company they use. Global blue and Premier Tax Free were the two we dealt with.

When you depart the EU, you have to get in the long line at the airport to go through customs and file for your VAT refund. They may want to examine the item, which must be in new and unused condition (you can’t be wearing the item).

They will either give you the refund in cash (Euros) or refund the amount to your credit card.

We got the refunds too our credit cards in about three weeks.

Exact refund percentages vary depending on the country but you can easily find that info online. If I recall correctly, Spain is around 13%.

13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    My experience is similar to Brian’s. I bought my Rolex in London. Dealer gave me the VAT form to get stamped at the airport. Only points I’ll add in my case were these: 1) had to remove the watch from the country within 30 days. 2) I was wearing mine but had the box and papers in my carry-on.

Savings made it substantially less than buying in the states.

14. Robyonekanobi

Robyonekanobi Rookie

Mar 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Roby
    Same kind of Experience. Procured a Rolex in Munich, claimed the Vat Tax in Amsterdam as I was leaving the EU, and saved, well a pretty good chunk of change. I usually wear an expensive watch and even while being randomly checked, have never been asked... "where did you get the watch." If I was asked.... "Christmas Present from the wife." If you're seriously worried about this stuff, then don't do it. Some people can't cross the street unless the light tells them too.

15. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    #15 poljav, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    To avoid any issues, I always take pictures of the watches I'm bringing on my cell before leaving, so the pics are date stamped. I usually bring 1-3 watches when travelling. On a recent trip to Zurich, I was told that you had to declare with customs at the airport before you leave, suspose to show the "tag" with the serial number.

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great post thanks. i'm going to london in a few months and was hoping to buy a watch while there. i was thinking about just buying it and wearing it back and seeing what happens.

17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would advise anyone thinking of smuggling anything into the US to watch "To Catch a Smuggler" on the Nat Geo channel. You may think you are smart, but they have seen it all, and you are not smarter. Not to say that you can't get past them, but if you don't, be prepared to face the consequences. ;)

18. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My advice is to not dick around with the Customs service...the downside far outweighs the potential upside of saving a few hundred bucks. After all, you did save on the VAT and you also didn’t pay any local sales tax here in the U.S., so suck it up and pay the duty.

That being said, I’ve heard several stories of people who present themselves to U.S. Customs agents, ready to pay the duty on a watch, only to be waved through with a smile and a “have a nice day”. Collecting duties from returning citizens is not always the agents’ top priority...they’re looking for bigger fish.

Alan
    N.J.

19. Robyonekanobi

Robyonekanobi Rookie

Mar 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Roby
    I travel in and out of countries on a monthly basis. Colombia, Russia, Madrid, Istanbul, Thailand, you name it. Honestly, this isn't a big deal or worthy of such examination. Nobody cares if you bought your watch in Prague or NYC or if you bought your Apple Air in Singapore or Las Vegas. Custom agents are looking for big fish. If you're bringing ten watches across the border, now you're interesting. Meanwhile if they snag a little fish from time to time because the little one set up red flags everywhere, easy pickings. Put the watch on your wrist, toss the box, stick the papers up your bum and go home. Let's not over think this. ;)

20. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    After reading this I think I'll just wait in the VAT line.

21. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Depending on what country you visit the line aren't bad at all.

22. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    So today was a casual day and I wore my Patek 5712/G. :)

Attached Files:

XLNLIFE, Boomhauer, msquared and 2 others like this.
  23. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    You got it in Europe ?

24. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Do share where I can buy Rolex Daytona / GMT or a nautilus in Europe .

The waiting list is too long

25. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    I get Patek's/Rolex's/ A. Lange Sohne at my local AD. I've been buying watches from them for over 20 years- during bad economic times and good ones.

I just picked up the 5712R a week ago, but didn't feel right posting it in light of what the world is going through presently.

Boomhauer, ronfrohock and 3604u like this.