The best driver of all time ... | FerrariChat

The best driver of all time ...

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Mar 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ecclestone names the best F1 driver of all time

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/713141/Ecclestone_names_the_best_F1_driver_of_all_time/

Bernie Ecclestone has named who he believes is the greatest Formula 1 driver of all time - Alain Prost.

The Frenchman is indeed one of the recognised best ever, having claimed four world championships between 1985 and 1993. However, the moniker of the number one greatest ever is usually reserved for the likes of Michael Schumacher, Ayrton Senna, Juan Manuel Fangio, or Lewis Hamilton.
    For Ecclestone, though, Prost would have reached the feats of that group if he had the backing which they enjoyed, or enjoy in Hamilton’s case.

When asked by the Daily Mail who is the best, he replied:
    “Alain Prost. He never got a lot of support from the team. They didn’t get all that [much] help from the pit wall, either.
    “The lights went out and he was on his own. He had to look after the tyres on his own, the brakes too, and he was bloody quick. He nearly won two more championships. That would have been six but the figures are immaterial.
    “I’d also say Nelson [Piquet], who did well in a car that was OK. Stirling [Moss] you’d have to say yes to the top four. And [Juan Manuel] Fangio — he got the job done.”

Should Hamilton win another championship, he will equal the record of seven held by Schumacher. Regarding Lewis, Ecclestone puts him in the top five of the best ever, but reckons he is helped a lot by his equipment, including his car.
    “Lewis is very good,” he continued.
    “Top four or five, or whatever, but it is hard to say this guy is better than so and so. Lewis has the best equipment and best team. The best everything.”

Ecclestone is of the opinion that Hamilton should not move to Ferrari, where he has been tipped to join at one point before the end of his career.
    “If I were Lewis I would stay with Mercedes,” he said.
    “He is comfortable there. He is in charge. he’s got the guy who turns the lights on and off supporting him (team principal Toto Wolff).
    “It wouldn’t work at Ferrari for him.
    “They are Italians. He would have to really learn the language so he’d know what they were saying behind his back, for a start.”

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Senna>Schumacher>Piquet>Prost

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Honestly, I don’t see how it’s possible to rank drivers across seven decades with all the attendant differences in cars, tires, circuits, season length, other drivers, etc., etc.

Bernie’s opinion is a valid as anybody’s. Probably more so.

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    You ask 10 people this question, and you will get 10 different answers.

Senna1994, Boomhauer, Bas and 4 others like this.
  5. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Agree completely. Coming up with lists is a fun parlor game but nothing more. There have been many great drivers in their own times and in their own ways. And they've all had their faults. I respect each and enjoy remembering their great races and victories.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It happens that Alain Prost is my prefered driver of all times.
    I don't say he was the fastest, or the greatest, just that I liked his way of driving.
    He was a thinking driver, who only did what was necessary to win, and nothing beyond that.
    He was methodical in his approach to racing, and his style was economical.
    He managed to win championships without having the best car, or against a faster opponent thanks to his intelligent strategy.

jpalmito, kandi and ferrariformulauno like this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I prefer to approach it from, “If I were an owner, what driver would I want in my team?”

For me it would have to be Andretti: fast, just enough emotion, generous with teammates, not a prima donna, technically proficient, fearless, can drive anything in any conditions, passion for the sport, inspires confidence in the team, winner. All this makes him attractive to sponsors, which can’t be bad, either.

8. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    Can't disagree that Prost is definitely one of the greats. Strategic and played the political game. And would have had five WDC's had it not been for a points system set up to benefit those who didn't finish all races in the points. In a time when winning 2 titles was the mark of an exceptional driver. Would definitely put him ahead of Senna though I'm not sure where to put him in relation to Schumacher and Hamilton (the eras are just too different but put either in the current era and we would probably have very similar results). I suppose I'd rank Prost higher simply for the years of dominance Ferrari and Mercedes enjoyed in the Schumacher and Hamilton eras.

william likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Jordan: ‘Prost the greatest, not Schumi or Senna’

https://www.planetf1.com/news/greatest-formula-1-driver/

Ex-Formula 1 boss, Eddie Jordan, has said that he would pick Alain Prost over Michael Schumacher and Ayrton Senna as the greatest driver he has ever seen.

The debate over who is Formula 1’s greatest is one that will never be fully settled, yet the likes of Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton and Ayrton Senna are the most popular names mentioned at the top of peoples’ lists.

Jordan, though, has a whole host of potential candidates but, if he had to pick one, it would ‘Le Professeur’.
    “I have a little issue with Michael and people often say to me ‘who was the best driver I ever had’,”
    “We talk about Frentzen, Fisichella, Barrichello and Irvine. We left a couple of people out – Johnny Herbert, who won a championship with me, and [Jean] Alesi.
    “If you put them all together and you’re asking me who do I think was the best driver… of course Michael had outstanding talent, but so had Senna.

“It’s always a really difficult call to know which of the two. I’m usually one who causes some consternation or chaos with this because I believe neither of those drivers were the best I’ve driven against or been part of. I always come back to Alain Prost.
    “People kind of say ‘what, is he being serious?’ But you know the thing is Alain Prost won four world titles, he lost one by half a point, he lost another world title… but what I liked about Alain – he stood the test of time.

“He now works with us, he’s on French television… and he’s still the same guy. We were on a team in 1979, with the Marlboro world championship team, he was a young kid there like me.
    “What he achieved, a young Frenchman back then, was amazing. The one point that stuck out for me more than anyone else – he never minded who his teammate was.”

jpalmito, kandi and Jakuzzi like this.
  10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Early years Nuvolari.

Gilles Villeneuve stood out amongst a fine group of drivers. Now the cars just about drive themselves.

375+ likes this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    EJ: Schumi let himself down with No2 deals

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/715771/EJ_Schumi_let_himself_down_with_No2_deals/

Michael Schumacher would have been the greatest driver of all time were it not for his insistence that his team-mates play “second fiddle”.

That’s according to the man who gave him his Formula 1 break, Eddie Jordan.
    Schumacher made his debut back in 1991 with Jordan Grand Prix, filling in for the imprisoned Bertrand Gachot, before moving onto Benetton, where he won his first two World titles, and then Ferrari.

But by the time he reached the Scuderia in 1996, teaming up with fellow former Jordan driver Eddie Irvine, Schumacher was very much the team’s priority.
    So much so that there was a clause in his contracts saying his team-mates would have number two status.
    Schumacher went onto add five titles to his tally, making him the sport’s only seven-time World Champion.

However, Jordan feels that was tarnished by that clause.
    “Michael Schumacher, I have a little issue with Michael…” Jordan told Off The Ball.

“When I reflect back on all the contracts I had to sign with Ferrari with the great Michael Schumacher, no doubt about his outstanding talent, he lets himself down in one area for me.
    “That one area was that in every contract, whether I signed with Irvine, Barrichello or whoever they were – there was a clause there that they always had to play second fiddle to Michael Schumacher.
    “I just wish for my own belief… I want him to be the best [driver of all time], but I can’t.
    “I just feel, somebody who had the most unbelievable natural talent, in a similar sort of level to [Ayrton] Senna. People had more of a love-affair about Senna because they wanted to believe he was the best.
    “Probably Michael was the most talented, but for me the best driver I’ve seen in the thirty or so years I was around the thing was Alain Prost.”

The Ulsterman says he counts Prost as the very best Formula 1 has ever seen.

Schultz and jpalmito like this.
  12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Fangio - Moss - Schumacher - Nuvolari - Lauda

Prost was talented - but also a sneaky politician wearing a race helmet.

Bas likes this.
  13. Jim. Then whoever, and whatever order, y'all want. :)

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    What about Jim Clark?

375+ and mcimino like this.
  15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Senna obsession on Prost tend to demonstrate who was the real benchmark either ..
    Senna movie is a shame.
    Prost is a genuine GOAT contender.

Jakuzzi, william and 375+ like this.
  16. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Yes to Clark...and also Stewart. A second vote for Tazio.

17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Ofcourse. Jim Clark makes any Top 6 !

18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Judah Ben-Hur

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Tazio Nuvolari

"The pheasants are beneath me." - SoCal to az
    "I have very few pet peeves in life . . . " - PeterS
    "Change is inedible" - fc2

20. william likes this.
  21. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I agree 100% !!!!! :)

william likes this.
  22. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    He would have had 10 championships. 81*,82*, 83*, 84*, 85, 86 , 88*, 89, 90* & 93.

PerKr likes this.
  23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    For French speakers ,
    Fantastic and recent Prost interview made by michel Denisot ( l'équipe TV) on YouTube.
    Six parts very emotionals (
    confessions about his relationship with senna almost made me cry)

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I wish this interview could be translated, as it reveals some aspects of Prost's career I have never seen mentioned in the English-speaking media.
    Apart from the last 3 parts about the relationship between Senna and Prost at McLaren, it's intereesting to learn how Prost began in motor racing.
    The part that deals with Lauda gives an insight about the Austrian, who became Prost' favourite team mate.

Jakuzzi and jpalmito like this.
  25. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Senna's qualifying lap at Monaco in the late 80s was dynamic! I believe he out qualified Prost by over a second in same car. Not taking anything away from Prost either! Clark was easy on his cars also. He had to be, Lotus were borderline dangerous!

jpalmito likes this.