Insurance companies | FerrariChat

Insurance companies

Discussion in 'Texas' started by MaurizioAM, Mar 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    Best Texas insurance companies that insure Ferrari's. I have read that some specialty insurance companies have better rates then mainstream insurer's. Please share your experience in this topic. Thanks

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We have ours through Safeco, and save by bundling home, auto and umbrella insurance. Plus, we're old (), have had few claims (knock on wood!), and the fun cars save by being "low mileage".
    T

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    USAA is great if you are eligible.

4. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    Not eligible for USAA I have heard of its rates though! I will take a look into Safeco, I am shopping for new home insurance as well so might be a good thing. Thanks.

5. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Hi,

I don't live in Texas or have a great deal of experience there (although I spent a week visiting in Austin last year:))
    My wife is our insurance agent and has been in the business for over 40 years (as well as a partner in her Firm for 9 years) .
    She works with many high net worth clients as well as smaller accounts.
    Being a broker allows her to find the best company to fit your needs and get the right coverage from multiple carriers.
    Having an agent and a dedicated team behind you is invaluable when an issue comes up instead of calling a 1-800 number and having to deal with things yourself.

That being said, we are insured with Pure Insurance and couldn't be happier. Home, Cars and Umbrella for us.
    You need to qualify, but if you do, they are a great company to be with.
    Just sharing.

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Excellent advice. We had an agent who did the leg work for us. Alas, she's recently left the gig to spend more time with her kids, but having a knowledgeable and trusted agent is a major plus...T

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have not once had a good experience having a broker work on my behalf during a claim issue, in fact exactly the opposite has been true. I have found working directly with the company has been vastly easier with far fewer miscommunications going as far as a broker being involved with a carrier assisting in the belief we were making a fraudulent claim based on multiple carriers being involved in the same loss event.
    I will admit they are an asset in finding the right insurance but after that I'm done with them.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I haven't updated numbers in a year, but 2018-2019 Hagerty was running 50-100% higher than AIG Private Client. Hagerty is #1 in marketing themselves though.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I am sorry to hear of your experiences when dealing with a broker. I know that some are better than others and who you might have dealt with could have done wonders for a friend that recommended them but obviously not so well for you.
    Perhaps there is a better broker out there for you. Finding them is a chore buy well worth it in the end.
    I personally wouldn't buy insurance any other way but if I had a bad experience with a agent I might find a better one. My belief is that your insurance is only as good as your agent and their team behind them.

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am not talking about "A" broker. I am talking about every one of the several I have dealt with. The companies I have on the other hand have been quite reasonable and easy to deal with when done directly. The middle men have been the problem, not the solution.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    AIG fired me. After downsizing, I was too poor for them. They didn’t want to insure my Jensen Healey.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Poor white Southern trash. Who can blame them? I was dropped by a company allegedly because of my record which was clean at the time. Turned out it was because of my Grand National, one of Americas most stolen cars. Just days before the policy ran out it did get stolen and totaled. One of my stories of a useless broker. In any event after fighting on my own insurance paid 3x the original offer.

Like I said USAA is great if you are eligible.

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    And you're surprised by this? :cool: Didn't you mention the Cayenne? They would be chasing you!:D

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No, they knew about the Cayenne. But for a blissful period of time, I didn't own any real estate. Loved it. Even when I inherited my mother's house in Florida, AGI wanted nothing to do with it or me. Lady at Marsh said something about how their business model had changed. Doesn't matter. State Farm is a lot cheaper.

15. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Did you also price out geico vs state farm? I just saw my amex bill and my geico policy auto renewed with yet another outrageous increase so im shopping to move. I have a flawless driving record with zero claims and they keep using the excuse the increases are from higher medical costs along with higher parts and labor costs in this area which is total BS.

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No just USAA and State Farm. It got complicated because I have cars in two states.

A lot cheaper than AIG private services though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just find a good agent and le them handle it..

I have ended up on Safeco and it was fine.

I never file any claims unless someone was killed......

18. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    I ended up going with Hagerty, it seems no one was able to be as competitive and not many other insurers have the guaranteed price option like Hagerty has.

19. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    State Farm came though for me as well $347/year cheaper than geico so i'll be switching to them next week. I called AIG and they refused to even give me a quote as I wouldn't give them a home/renters policy as well just looking for auto #'s to start. Didn't leave my name or number and they took my # from caller ID and passed it on to whatever company they refer people to who's called me 5x so far despite being told not interested. Pretty shady business practices.

20. Qdog458

Qdog458 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    I am about to switch to Hagerty as well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Almost every home/auto insurer I've had in last 10 years has done this. The intro rates usually last a couple of years and then totally skyrocket. I just switched from Progressive to Geico and saved almost 50%.

I had Progressive when I bought my 488 and they would not write a policy for it. I got quotes from other companies as high as $7000/yr. I ended up getting coverage for $2300/yr through https://www.thephoenixinsurance.com with a $300k stated value. Sorry don't recall what deductibles are without looking but not super high. I also moved my home insurance to them. AFAIK I've had no rates increases but will be paying attention. With everything on auto pay it's easy to miss.

sct4a and MaurizioAM like this.