My Dream Garage in the Mountains | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My Dream Garage in the Mountains

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by SCantera, Jan 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #26 BJK, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    wow! (again :) ) That's amazing! You are close! That looks like a summer pic with the foliage? Is that normal flow? How is it when there is heavy rainfall?
    I'm in the northeast and I visit some falls specifically in the spring when they are ROARING from snow melt flooding. From a trickle in the summer to all-hell's-breaking-loose in the spring.

2. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Yes it was a summer picture. The flow does vary greatly. During the driest year of the 3 we have owned it even then it still had a nice flow. Winter flow is steady and strong due to no leaves or vegetation absorbing water. In summer the heavy downpours make it rip-roaring. Last June we had a rainstorm that dumped 5" in about 6 hours. The falls and stream moved huge boulders that I never thought would budge. The power of water is mind-boggling. Fortunately there are no flooding issues cause it's the mountains. The ground elevation drops dramatically down the stream so no flooding could happen. Our property has a high elevation of 4100 and a low of 3200......900' of drop.

Texas Forever and BJK like this.
  3. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Some pics of garage in progress. First is the left bay where I will have a lift and work bench along the rear wall. It's 22' wide and 34' deep. Second is a shot of the middle bay w/ framing for a powder room that will be under the stairs leading to the loft. Third pic is the middle bay w/ loft above and right bay in the background. The roof insulation panels are what is stacked up on the floor. The ceiling is tongue and groove roof decking on which 5-1/2" insulation panels then 3-1/2" insulation panels with sheathing are screwed into the rafters below. "Peel and Stick" membrane on top of the insulation followed by a metal roof. As of today the roofing dried in w/ only the metal to be installed. The membrane is the "real" roofing as it is a thick and water tight. The metal is what makes it look pretty.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Here is a picture taken this morning after overnight rain and some lingering fog. It's roaring this morning!

5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    wow! (again :) ) You must be able to hear that in the house, no? Soundproof bedrooms?

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    This is a picture of the loft above the center bay. It's about 500 sf of space. I think I will rig up a block and tackle and platform to use to carry parts and stuff from the ground floor to the loft. It would be a lot easier to move extra wheels and tires that I have for a couple of my cars than carry each one by one up the stairs.

7. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The house is pretty "tight". The walls are insulated with Icynene spray foam and windows are double glazed. But you can hear the lower range sound waves when the windows and doors closed. If you went outside you can't hear each other talk unless you are very close to each other and raise you voice. It's LOUD outside.

Texas Forever and BJK like this.
  8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    THAT is LOUD! I love waterfalls, buuut.... Didn't think it would be that loud because the water is coming down a slope and not straight down. Were you fully aware at time of house placement, or 'surprised'?

9. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Well when it's flowing the strongest it's usually the time when you are indoors. Winter it flows pretty consistently strong but we are indoors unless doing outside clean-up or whatever. And when it's a heavy flow due to rain it's the same...we are inside. To answer your question yes we were a bit surprised because before and while we were building we weren't sitting outside relaxing and entertaining. However in summer when the flow is the lowest [except summer storm] it's not overwhelming and you can have normal conversation.

10. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Beautiful home, beautiful view.

BTW, Go Gators.

goezfaster likes this.
  11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    :D

12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Just some updates on the progress. All electrical wiring, receptacles and switches have been installed. Inspection tomorrow. The "shell" of the garage is complete. Windows are installed, garage doors went in on Friday and the interior is cleaned out ready for interior stain and seal followed by porcelain tile flooring. Then "final out" lighting and plumbing fixtures and I will have a garage ready to accept my cars that are still in FL.

Sorry for the poor picture. Took this one on Friday. View from the road of the "dried in" shell. Metal roof and exterior stain and seal in the next 3 weeks. Then the driveway grading, stone and paving. Thinking of going w/ a dark red metal roof.

13. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Will the Sprinter RV fit through the door?

14. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    That is a spectacular garage and scenery! I look forward to seeing more photos. I’m always looking for inspiration for when I find property with garages and houses (in that order :).

15. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Yes.....but not through either of the two doors on the front. They are 16'w x 8'h. However the right side garage door is 16'w x 10'h. The Sprinter is 9'-5" [roof a/c]. Accommodating the RV has always been integral to the plan. She was kept in a garage while in Naples since I bought her 6 years ago. Unfortunately the RV has been outside for the last 2 years here in the mountains. Problem will be solved shortly!!!

VAF84 and rocket50 like this.
  16. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    This is really neat, thank you for sharing.

LARRYH likes this.
  17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    But wait there's more!!!

A picture from the road below before reaching the driveway left turn-off. What is cool about NC is that if you have two addresses the County will come out and put up a road sign with a name chosen by the owner. We chose Living Falls. The house has one address and the garage another. I think they do this to help emergency services. If the new road is in their system they don't have to look for numbered addresses on the road. Instead it's typical county road sign. Much easier to find cause up here nobody puts a number on their mailbox or home.

The county road rises about 20' when passing the garage. The driveway drops off quickly to the left where it drops down to it's low where the creek goes under the driveway. There the driveway splits......left toward the garage and right going up toward the house. Here is a picture of the stream at the driveway split. Nice view for this driveway intersection. I call this the Creek at the Y. This is a winter picture...when it greens up it's a lot prettier.
    The interior is now ready for finishes. First every structural member, roof and loft decking and all walls get sprayed with a conditioner. Since this is raw Eastern White Pine conditioner is required to keep stain from being "blotchy". After the beams, rafters, joists,columns and trusses get stained a medium brown. Then everything is sprayed with a matte finish sealer coat. Might be polyurethane for protection and tough. But no gloss. I want to just highlight the logs w/ a sealer not a shine.
    Here is a view of the man cave area. Not huge at 8' x 12' but big enough for a sofa, big TV and a bar table and maybe a couple of chairs. Up the steps lead to a 500 sf loft overlooking the center bay. It will initially be only storage. But will add some fun things later. I have vintage and new Scaletrix slot car sets that I will assemble and mount on a drop down set to play with the grandkids [and older kids]. Maybe some day a track simulator. Getting a head of myself. Complete the garage and get my cars here is the primary goal.

18. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    That looks awesome. Beautiful setting and scenery for sure. Nice to see this cone together.

Thecadster likes this.
  19. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    It’s so hard to describe how beautiful our property is with pictures and words. Only when you visit and see and feel the power of the waterfall and stream can you grasp how amazing it is to live in the middle of Mother Nature at her best. We really feel blessed to live here in Living Falls.

20. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Are you an FCA member in FL? I will be working on events here in the mountains for the FCA. Stay tuned as a FL region member you will get the invite.

21. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I am both a FL region Naples Ferrari Club member as well as an NC chapter member. One foot in both regions..

22. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I am not. I haven’t added a Ferrari to my garage so I never joined. I’ve enjoyed the local shows and cars and coffee and love this site for both the info on the cars and the general knowledge and advice that can be found.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Lots of FCA members don’t have Fcars. You join for the people. It’s a great club!

24. jfauto

jfauto Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Amazing garage. Would you mind sharing the floor plan? In the early stages of planning a car barn myself.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The stone veneer to be applied to the concrete block foundation wall is being delivered tomorrow. It's a ledgestone that will cover the perimeter to make it look like a stone foundation. Should be pretty nice. Mason arrives Monday. At 150 lf of 3' high wall it will take about a week to lay assuming no rain [unlikely].

of2worlds and colombo2cam like this.