COVID 19 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

COVID 19

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by LMH, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariSnowtrooper

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Bischoff
    This Fchat is a fantastic community, thank you everyone.

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  3. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Since English is not my mother tongue I am not 100% sure, if some of the posts above are supposed to be sarcastic .... but I hope so.

FFantastic and LVP488 like this.
  4. vegasoul

vegasoul Rookie

Apr 26, 2016
    have you been to Prato ? My Italian friend took me there once. My understanding is that there was not a single case near Florence until recently. It started up north.

5. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #105 96redLT4, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020

Thoughts and prayers for everyone affected by this scourge and for the fine people of Italy. Special prayers for Snowtrooper's wife and family. As if cancer is not hard enough....keep her isolated and Lord willing she will be fine. I too am in the health care business, still going to work every day. Early last week I was emailing our local health dept official to see if we should be testing our local school kids with symptoms. No, no was the reply. Unfortunately I think it is all over now and you still can't be routinely screened unless you are an NBA player.

6. FerrariSnowtrooper

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Bischoff
  7. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    You're suggesting the Covid-19 crisis which will likely decimate the American economy and political system for years, is the wrath of God on the Chinese for THEIR injustices? (who are now back to business as usual as the West collapses). Just hoping you're just trolling.

FFantastic likes this.
  8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thank you.

wax likes this.
  9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL. That guy was a nutjob.

wax and FFantastic like this.
  10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    A general view of what is happening to the automobile industry. Plants are closing just temporarily but with the evolution of coronavirus in Europe and in the US it is impossible to guess when they'll reopen.

BMW

Closed plants in Germany, Cowley mini plant in the UK and Rosslyn plant in South Africa.

DAIMLER
    Closed its plant.

FCA- Fiat Chrysler Automotive
    Close all six Italian factories that build Fiat, Jeep, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo products

FERRARI
    Both plants in Maranello and Modena have been closed.

LAMBORGHINI
    Close its plant .

MASERATI
    Closed its Modena plant.

PSA Group
    The automaker that oversees Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Opel and Vauxhall brands announced all of its plants across Europe have shut down.

PORSCHE

The automaker said on March 18 it will stop production at its German plants.

RENAULT
    Is suspending production at 12 of its sites across France.

ROLLS-ROYCE
    The British luxury marque said it would suspend production at its UK facility starting March 23.

SUBARU
    The automaker sole US production plant will suspend production starting 23 March.

TOYOTA
    Stopped production at its plants in Portugal, France and Philippines

VOLKSWAGEN

On March 17, Volkswagen Group announced it would suspend production at numerous production sites across Europe in Slovakia, Portugal, Spain, March 21, Volkswagen suspended production at its Chattanooga Tennessee manufacturing plant.

Texas Forever and Bundy like this.
  11. shorebeat

shorebeat Rookie

Nov 19, 2017
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Rahul, well said. I'm the old guy with Carrera S up block near your friends in Lavallette. Over cooked lefthander at the Glen and crashed, got it fixed and went back for more.
    It's stablemate is now 2014 458 Italia. If ever in area again, stop by.

Kind regards,

Greg

rvp325 likes this.
  12. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's great. My post which opposes this lunacy gets deleted for attacking another BANNED member. But this insulting and idiotic drivel which attacks an ethnicity still stands. Yup, makes sense...

350MH83 and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  14. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    I usually don’t respond to these, but dude are you serious?? I think you are definitely in the wrong chat room. We are Ferrari lovers, not racists. This virus pandemic has no selection of race or nationality, it effects everyone. It is unimaginable what is happening now as we are all on lockdown trying to ensure our families are safe. On a positive note, Ferrari is in discussions to make ventilation systems which I think is fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

350MH83 likes this.
  15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    He was not banned forever, just for a week (for posting political and religious content), so he's still a user. You may not attack another user, even if you disagree with him or find his postings irrational. In that case, your recourse is to debate with him or ignore him.

Since you persist in attacking another user, even after you were given a warning about attacks when your post was deleted, 2-day ban.

16. shorebeat

shorebeat Rookie

Nov 19, 2017
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Bingo on the C2S, good memory. Unfortunately, don't know the Kotts but no doubt have seen them on way to beach. Both cars lovely. Got a kick out of Rafa's 5th grade comment.

Thanks for what you and Kim are doing fighting this war.

Listening for that knock. All the best.,

Greg

17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thank you for this information.

Marcel Massini

MDEL likes this.
  18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    No, but they do operate from.....Milan. Seems your explanation is entirely plausible. Chinese workers leaving and returning for New Year via Milan airport, mixes with very elderly population (who all double-kiss to greet) and underfunded healthcare. We already know that this first broke out at scale in Wuhan and China, we also know that Italy and Iran got hit hard next, there will be reasons and they probably won’t be complicated ones.

Texas Forever and Bundy like this.
  19. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    #119 hagen111, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Situation in EU is very severe.why? There's no vaccin at this moment, no remedy...while at the same time the virus spreads easily, as build up of virus in the nose already starts within 2 days after being infected...already with minimal symptoms, way before people get sick.

Then if you get sick...around 1 out of 10 people are being hospitalized. Of those, a portion get a very bad long infection, you can't breath anymore and have to be intubated. No quick recovery...intubation lasts 4 weeks or more for most cases currently in the hospital.

I live in the Netherlands...you can't 100% stop the virus...it will only stop once it can't spread itself anymore, which means if most of the population has been infected and hopefully will be immune. This can be reached after 60% of population being infected.

The numbers:
    17 Million people in Netherlands - 60% of those = 10 Million. 1 out of 10 infected being hospitalized = 1 Mio people in Hospital. Then, an assumption, that 1 out 10 in hospital needs IC care and intubation = 100,000 IC cases.

And here is the problem. We don't have capacity to facilitate 100,000 IC cases. Normal capacity is 1150 beds on IC all over Netherlands, and most likely 2500 after increase/ramp up. With 4 weeks average stay of patients on IC, yearly capacity is to help 30,000 people per year on the Intensive Care...

SO...it will take us > 3.5 years...in isolation, no one on the streets, not at work, economy dead...to navigate through this at max capacity of IC.
    We all know this scenario is not going to happen....and therefore it is going to be deadly! See Italy as the example. Hopefully there will be a vaccin found within months or 1 year...

Think about it. Do your own math...check the numbers...hopefully I am wrong. I am trying to be realistic. It is better to understand what is coming and what the real risk is, than to ignore and live in fear. A bit the same as buying and driving a Ferrari.

What to do...stay safe, take care of hygiene, avoid social contact within 2 meters from another person.

Btw...my used FF was planned for delivery 1st of March...I still don't have it. All the paperwork at the tax authorities and registration office are delayed. It is no problem for me as we have bigger issues, but it would have been nice to go for a drive in isolation...v12 screaming in front.

Texas Forever and Astrid.Didier like this.
  20. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ferrari, Fiat, McLaren, Nissan, Ford, GM, Honda, Rolls-Royce join coronavirus ventilator efforts

Desperate shortage of ventilators for coronavirus patients puts manufacturers on wartime footing. With most automaker's factories closed in Europe now they are joining the effort to make as many ventilators as possible.

“Siare Engineering, Italy's largest manufacturer of hospital ventilators, has turned to Italian automakers Ferrari and Fiat to investigate the possibility that the automakers might help produce more of the live-saving machines that are urgently needed to fight the coronavirus pandemic. The Italian government has asked Siare to increase ventilator production from 160 per month to 500 as the country's death toll has surpassed 3,400 and is climbing rapidly.”

“Automakers worldwide are being drafted for ventilator duty. In addition to Ford and GM making plans with the U.S. government; British Prime Minister Boris Johnson reaching out to Ford, Honda and Rolls-Royce; and an Elon Musktweeted offer to build ventilators "if there is a shortage," other automakers and aerospace companies are joining in. In Europe, three groups have formed”

“The other two teams are being led by carmakers McLaren, which is looking at how to design a simple version of a ventilator, and Nissan, which is working with others to support existing ventilator producers. European aerospace group Airbus is also working across its processes to see if its 3D printing or production facilities can be of use on this ventilators production effort.”

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever and greg328 like this.
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The fear is strong with you.
    Your numbers are hyper inflated since we do not know the true denominator.
    Currently only “sick” people are being tested, and that massively overestimates the severity of pandemic.

22. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    #122 hagen111, Mar 20, 2020
    "Your numbers are hyper inflated since we do not know the true denominator."

Sure we do not know the true denominator. Nobody knows currently.
    Far more people are actually infected vs 'tested positive'
    In The Netherlands, people are not tested anymore, as tests have ran out.

For the calculation made it also doesn't really matter how many people are currently infected, as it is not part of the equation. So where do you see the 'hyper inflated' in the calculation?

Anyway...I hope the actuals lead to better outcome numbers wise.

Just on the news here... we will not have 2500 IC beds...1500 IC is the maximum the healthcare system can scale to asap. So actually the outcome of the calculation just got far worse...

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The debatable point is "1 of 10 infected being hospitalized".
    A reasonable guess is that if/when 60% of the population is infected, far less than 10% of these 60% actually need hospitalization - most infected people do not have any symptom, and many others recover without needing care.
    Still, the medical system tends to be overloaded in many countries because there are more people needing IC, and for longer times, than for what the hospitals capacity has been designed.

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #124 Albert-LP, Mar 20, 2020
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147090427/

Infected number zero in Italy, who was:

It looks it was a woman from Shanghai (China) that held a meeting in Munchen, Germany, on January 25-26, then from meeting attendants it arrived here in Codogno, Italy. That was told by Massimo Galli, Sacco Italian Hospital director, after intensive virus genetic studies they did on the ones who passed. This is a March 11 news and it's official.

Please give a look of what happend two days ago in Bergamo and tell me if you ever saw a "common flu" doing all this fatalities in a small area, forcing a row of Army trucks to take away some coffins to free a "too crowded" cemetery Church: I didn't.

Please give a look to the link here below and to the slideshow, to see how "nice" it is: 70 (yes, seventy) trucks full of coffins.

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/03/18/foto/bergamo_non_c_e_piu_posto_70_mezzi_militari_portano_le_salme_fuori_dalla_regione-251650969/1/#1

ciao

[​IMG]

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The number of people needing hospitalization based upon the assumption of 60% being infected.
    You say 10% of those infected will need hospitalization...but....we don’t know that.
    We don’t know now how many are infected, we only know how many of those TESTED require hospitalization.

Astrid.Didier and ScottS like this.