FF Tire Choice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FF Tire Choice

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Ric A, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I had all season tires on gtr and were pretty good. one day was on track at limerock doing 1 min laps when freak snow storm hit. was then able to make it through about 6 inches snow up and down the nearby hills that had suvs stuck on side road. not too bad

2. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Thanks for the opinion. I’m looking to pick up an FF soon and use as a daily (in Southern California). Weather isn’t as extreme, but just trying to learn about the car as much as I can. It was good to see on the FF manual that Ferrari does have 2 recommended tires, so at least you have a choice lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I have 2 sets of wheels, one with summer and one with winter. But I would like to have all-season replacing the summer. It's not uncommon for me to go on a trip where origin and destination have drastic temperature difference. It just happened last weekend after I drove back from 70+ degress F in Florida to nearly 0 degress F where I live. Luckily, the ground has been dry near home so I was able to return safely and still had fun wearing summer shoes during 95%+ of the entire trip. However, I don't like to take risk so all-season will be more suitable for the ways I use my car. I sure don't want to drive more than 2K miles mostly wearing the borning winter tires.

I don't have much hope for tire makers ever making ultra high performance all-seaon in 295/35R20. Conti DWS chose not to make it, and the more recent Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ also decided to skip that size. So that says something. 295/35R20 gets no love, and I wonder why. Most likely they have determined it will be a low demand size and not worthwhile.

95spiderman likes this.
  4. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Tirerack now carries Vredestein Ultrac Vorti in sizes for FF/F12. No experience with Vredestein other than seeing them as collapsible spare under the trunk of a previously owned car. Anyone have any experience with Vredestein?

5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    interesting. could they be all season with that name?

6. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I'm putting the pilot cups on this week

Let's actually have some fun!!!!

7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    They are "Max Performance Summer," same class as PSS and P0. That model supposedly has been around since 2013.

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ok thanks for info

9. Outrun

Outrun Karting

They are summer tyres, very good quality. Ran the previous model to it on my Maseratis, the sessanta. Tread designed by Guigaro, car designed by Guigaro, the nerd in me loved that!!

It’s a decent choice if the price is right although I’d still pay for PS4s if the cash isn’t the main decision maker.

otakki likes this.
  10. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I’ve had Vredestein Wintrac winters on my X3 and they were superb. Unstoppable in 12+ inches of snow. The Wintracs were also designed by Guigaro.

No experience of the Summers.

I believe that Vredestein are a Dutch brand. I’d say equal to the premium brands for performance but not price. But who am I kidding here - Ferrari owners aren’t going to worry too much about price. So just get the MPSS4 safe in the knowledge that you’ve got the best based on others’ experiences. Or dare to be different and try the Vredesteins.

otakki likes this.
  11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    How's Vredestein's sidewall in general? Are they stiff like Pirelli, or soft like Michelin/Conti?

12. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Can’t say for sure. The summer set on the X3 were OEM spec Dunlop with a staggered fit. The Wintrac Extremes were the same size all round as the summer front (no stagger). So, based on like for like sizing, the Vredestein had more flex than the Dunlop. But wouldn’t that be expected of a winter vs summer tyre?

otakki likes this.
  13. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Spoke to Porter at Tire rac had nothing but good to say about Vredestein delt with him before and trust his opinion,
    He is one of their main testers..

otakki likes this.
  14. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    I run the Michelin PSS on the FF and no issue with the noise.
    I would say they are pretty nice but as they did on my tuned 997TT (Protomotive 1000hp/850ftlbs) they are a bit long to warm up.
    I run for now the the Michelin PSC2 on the 997 and they are perfect for my use. No noise, quick warm up, great grip, of course the PSS are better on the wet and lasts longer...

15. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    What should be a fair average price to fit and balance a set 4 tires,F12, FF, 812.
    D.

16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I would consider Zohr's pricing very competitive for high quality work:

https://zohr.com/

17. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Thanks for the reply, just had all 4 tires installed on my FF balancing included,$300.

18. Safster

Safster Rookie

May 13, 2011
    Anyone have any experience with Bridgestone S007a on the FF?

19. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    nope. I've got lectured to use Michelin. Which I got.
    https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-super-sport
    I paid for the whole set 1200 bucks and had excellent communication with their hotline! Can totally recommend this to anybody and price wise this was a no brainer to me.
    Michelin is somewhat soft and rubbery. I had Bridgestone before on my Porsche. They war probably longer lasting but didnt felt that smooth. I would ALWAYS go with Michelin over Bridgestone. I considered Pirelli Zero but received advise to go with Michelin (which i did) so I cant say much about them

ANOpax and Safster like this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not really any point to it. The best by far for both the Lusso and FF is the MPS4S.

Safster likes this.
  21. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I love Michelin alpins. It totally transformed my old ff. Softer ride very quiet. Winter tires it is the only way to go imho.

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I wouldn't know. I bought my Pilot Alpins the beginning of January and since then we haven't had a flake of snow! :(

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Tried both MPS4S and winter tyres on the Lusso. The MPS4S is by far the more comfortable and better choice. Yes it needs winter tyres when it gets below 10 or so degrees, but running winter tyres all year is a REALLY bad idea. They have little grip in the heat and will wear out in no time. They were not meant for year round duty. To anybody out there who considers this advice. Don't do it! It will not only give your car much less in terms of performance, it can also be unsafe. Summer tyres for non-winter driving.

Outrun likes this.
  24. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    Oh goodness I was not recommending winter tires for summer use just saying they are the best winter tires. I apologize if that was not clear.

25. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    When the road surface is completely dry, summer compound outperforms winter compound year round. Yes, that means even during winter when summer compound turns into that hockey puck hardness. There is a youtube video of a guy carrying out the test before making the conclusion.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.