488 - Why are Pistas not selling ? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

488 Why are Pistas not selling ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Texas2step, Jan 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Wish there was a love button to press! So awesome...love the Pista, I can dream!

dmark1 likes this.
  2. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Many of the Pista you are seeing are the lucky people who were able to get an early Pista and are now receiving their Pista Spiders. I would have never sold my Pista but I have an incoming Pista Spider.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    I don’t think so ... was very limited the allocation of pista spider ..

4. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Are we really doing this again?

FordGTDriver and Thecadster like this.
  5. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    FACTS.

NOTHING from Ferrari beyond the Pista (based on vehicles revealed as of this writing) will have my heart, not the Roma, SF90, 812SF, nor the F8. I'm sure the 765 LT will be much faster, but Mclaren has never pulled at my heartstrings. Please see a Pista in person, photos simply don't do it justice.

Why does this same topic constantly keep coming up? Yes, market dynamics change, such is life.

6. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    One has to see the Pista in person to appreciate it!

7. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    my .02 cents, the market is shifting. changing market, different audience, different taste, “new” players as well. these dynamics do play crucial role.

while the brand prestige is there, it no longer the same like those of the F430 era. too many variants to choose from, their “selective” process for their clients, the horsepower race becoming unreasonable for road use and many more. the 458 up to the F8 pretty much has the same language even the interior. there was no evolution in terms of design unlike from the 355 to 360 to 430 to 458. the interior is a far cry from the standards of today.

pls don’t get me wrong, I love Ferraris but at least, I hope Ferrari does the same to us loyal ones.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how do you guys envision the relationship b/w speciale aperta and pista spider over the next 2 years?

9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yes, we most certainly are. Frankly, I am 100% for talking about anything other than Coronavirus.

Ash Patel, buddyg, tres55 and 5 others like this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Currently the Pista are trying to sell for far more than the Speciale, but my guess is that Pista values will become closer to Speciale value just as 488 GTB are getting closer to 458... but for your question (since the previous statement is actually irrelevant to it ;) ) I assume that the Speciale Aperta will be significantly more valued than the Pista Spider, just for its rarity (as a truly limited edition) and independently of the cars actual characteristics.

11. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    It's funny, as someone who was recently looking for an inexpensive 12 cylinder, while on paper the older cars (599s and early FF/F12s) look the same, when you actually touch them and see them in person, you start to feel the sticky buttons, the leather pulling away from the dash, the rusty bolts and worn pads, the outdated tires, etc... and you find yourself gravitating towards the newer cars. Speciales are now getting close to 7 years old. They will start suffering the same ailments. I get that some of this is just maintenance but that will impact desirability and values of an older car relative to its newer replacement for those who just don't want to be bothered by fixing these issues.

Obviously this a mid term comparison. In the long term when both are 10+ years old, then it's just based on car condition and desirability of one model vs the other.

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Right now I don't think any cars are selling.

13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    What selective process??

14. Lobekay

Lobekay Rookie

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lob Lob
    Pardon my ignorance on Ferrari affairs.
    Sounds like a good percentage of people who received Pista coupe allocations has now secured Pista Spider allocations?
    The rich keep getting richer?
    The 'lucky' get luckier?

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wrt to pista it's the rich getting poorer. not richer.

Dewinator and IloveGT like this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    zero reason to buy anything right now....wait a few months or more....

IloveGT, Caeruleus11, anishka and 4 others like this.
  17. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    4:1 coupe:spider ratio, at least (true numbers unknown)
    “Good percentage?” Depends on personal perspective re one’s situation.
    The clever and lucky have gotten richer of late, independent of fancy toy allocation.
    The vast majority have gotten poorer.
    In a few years we’ll know how it all has played out.

18. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1

Ok but I think that the style of the pista will be more close to an instant classic rather than the speciale , moreover many people say pista are more engaging when u drive it. We will see .. however both outstanding cars !

19. I honestly have never been so happy to read a value thread.

Because #CoronavirusNewsOverload

Lukeylikey and Thecadster like this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius

Couple observations here. Not sure what an inexpensive 12 cylinder is but sounds like maybe to be low enough cost you suffer condition. Many are in great condition and offer what the smaller and muffled engine cars cannot. Otherwise I think you are just describing the eventuality of every car made so maybe you just like new cars when you shop.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Had both. Prefer speciale over Pista. And I didn’t love the speciale over the Italia.

tekaefixe likes this.
  22. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Fair point but in this case, I am not looking at bottom of the barrel, just older so therefore less expensive relative to newer ones. All were from Ferrari dealers and CPO'd. Note, I am in no way dissing the 12 cylinder cars, they are amazing and when life settles back down, I will find and buy the right car. And yes, turns out I am quite picky:)!

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think you're partly right. The 458SA will be more valuable, but not significantly more so. I think over time, like with the Pista and Speciale, it will even out between the two cars. Where I am, the Pista is a huge success.

johnr265 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The Pista is NOT a limited car, it's a low volume car. It is produced in roughly the same numbers as the Speciale. Look around, plenty of those for sale too. Nothing inherently different about the Pista in this regard.

25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yup. Sure looks like it...