Does anyone have a good picture of what the rear seat straps look like in real life? | FerrariChat

Does anyone have a good picture of what the rear seat straps look like in real life?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Albert Penello, Mar 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Working on my '85 QV Cabriolet. The rear seats keep falling forward, and I noticed in the manual there is supposed to be a strap with a snap. I assume that connects to the tenax screw on the top of the engine cover.

But does anyone have a picture of what these straps look like in real life? The picture shows them attached to the center of the seat but if I need to recreate something I'd like to get it as close to possible to an original car. Not sure how they are mounted, what shape they are, where they attach, etc.

Thanks in advance!

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I may have some extras. I needed some as well and had a local cobbler make them. I’ll check when I get home tonight.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Thanks again Ron! I'm super interested in what you ended up doing - I see nothing there (no holes or anything) so once again, really appreciate it!

4. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    I have the strap in the center of the rear seats, but nothing on them which would snap to something else. My rear seats normally remain up even with no snap. Had to make a panic stop once when the line of traffic ahead of me suddenly stopped, and the rear seats flipped down. The four wheel disc brakes worked great however. I also have what I believe to be the luggage straps on the rear seats. No one sits there but I don't want to leave the seats in the downward position as this seems to add creases in the seat leather.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm pretty sure the snap on connectors are the same ones used for the convertible top boot.

6. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
  7. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Snap and peg are identical to convertible top boot fasteners

8. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    THANK YOU! I assumed it had the same Tenax snap as the tops. This is a huge help.

Would you mind doing me ONE more favor? It is possible to lift up the carpet a bit and see how/where that strap is secured into the seat? I was looking everywhere for a screw hole or something similar and couldn't find it, and I don't want to randomly drill a hole either. Just curious what they do on the seat side to secure the snap.

Thanks again!!!

9. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
  10. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Super helpful, thank you so much again. That's exactly what I needed.

11. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The OEM tenax fasteners are available, but a bit pricey for the embossed horse logo on the plastic cap. Here is a lower cost alternative...https://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/tesmheinblch.html

The OEM one looked like this, the serrated top is for the black plastic cap to fit upon...https://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/tesmheinchpl.html

An enterprising fellow has remanufactured the plastic caps, not quite OEM but looks pretty good....https://www.shapeways.com/product/LLU96QT7E/targa-roof-tenax-fastener-button-cover

(I think I have noted the correct sized items, it was some years ago where I bought two of the first items I recall, so check to make sure the sizes I noted are correct, they have all the measurements for each one. In any event, this is a good source. Boat supply companies also use tenax fasteners).

12. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I love the repop one that says "horse" on it! Even has a stretched "h".