512 BBi, #51257 ended up in my garage | Page 6 | FerrariChat

512 BBi, #51257 ended up in my garage

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Oct 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Correct, it's more greenish than greyish...-:) but it's still very close to the color of the Fispa fuel filter units that are used in the Dino and from where I got the paint recipe. Below is a comparison with the original paint on the driveshafts.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The green has faded over time from the elements, it wasn't grey like the fuel pump bowl on the earlier cars. Ive seen a lot of boxers. The original paint, tire and italian air in the tires BBi I restored was a great reference. My ex 82 was also a great reference.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    pshoejberg likes this.
  5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for the clarification Newman. Actually I’m green / blue colour blind....not an excuse for my bad colour choise, but I think that’s a bit funny.

best Peter

dinogt4guy likes this.
  6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #131 pshoejberg, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Short update from my winter project. I completed the overhaul of the steering rack: Plated all the small parts and changed out rubber boots, steering rubber and the steering bushing. I would normally fabricate a new steering bushing in bronze but this time I got hold of a fresh nylon bush from a Italian car website that fitted with only minor modifications. As can be seen from the first picture, the chrome on the rack piping was in quite sad state so I opted to go all in and test a so called chrome spray. I have never fancied this false chrome treatment, but in this circumstance, with a pipe that cannot be easily chromed, it turned out rather great. I pre-treated the pipe with a epoxy primer followed by 2 component black lack, then dressed the surface with 400 grit paper before applying the cheap chrome. Finally filled the rack with 250 gr rack grease and repacked the original track rod ends with fresh grease.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I completed a bit more hardware on the engine this weekend. Installed the cam covers and completed installation of the clutch and loosely installed the clutch housing in order to align the clutch plate splines. Also managed to dismantle the ignition distributor assembly to clean and lube the rotor weight system. It will not be long before the engine is ready to go back in the car.

Best regards Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

dgt likes this.
  8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I reached a few milestones this last week. First of all I got the car and all accessories back from the painter. They did a very nice high quality job and delivered both on price and time. I managed to take a couple of pictures in the flat winter light before the rain started and I had to store all the various parts away, amazing how much room a BB takes up when dismantled.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I also found time to travel to Modena and pick up the repaired dashboard from Luppi. As can be seen from the pictures below, the entire dashboard had to be refurbished with new leather. This was a job I didn't trusted anyone local. While being in Modena / Maranello I took the opportunity to visit the Ferrari & Lamborghini museum and I fell in love with a Miura.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgt likes this.
  9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I am now focusing towards assembly of the car starting with the various sub-assemblies. This morning I completed the installation of the fuel gauge sender unit. The old unit was rusted beyond repair, so I bought a replacement sender unit from Maranello Parts and transferred the old original sender unit top plate to the new unit to make it look original. Nice little project.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Do I ever remember this car. I have known the previous owner for a very long time. Mario. Glad to see the car is getting back to the condition she needs to be in. She had been quite the mess for a long time.

That car I will say, pulled really hard. I was quite surprised when I drove it for the first time. It had something over the others, power wise. Interior was indeed nice, seats were redone, but done well. Dash was always an issue.

I'm enjoying this thread..brings back big memories. I actually may have been the guy who last did the timing belts on this car..although I cant remember if I did pr not. Keep up the great work!

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Many thanks for the comments Tom! It's wonderful to finally hear from someone that actually knows about the car. You most likely did the belt service in 2016/2017 I believe? I have close to no historical information about the car so any input is valuable for me. I believe the car has set in a collection in Ontario Canada for some years with a Canadian title since 2002. Before that it was in the states and had an accident in 1989 presumably.

Best Peter

12. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Fantastic work, knocks my socks off. John

George Vosburgh likes this.
  13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It definatly wouĺdnt have been me doing timing belts in 2016/17. I think I may have done them just after he got the car. Back in 2003 or so.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Very nice work :)

I like the colour, wasn't sure I would. Maybe its just the body shape that makes them look great in any colour.

As for coming from a "collection" I wouldn't use that word....

tbakowsky and pshoejberg like this.
  15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I spent a few hours in the workshop over the last couple of days and got some work done in the front end department:

- The wire harness is now completely overhauled with all new sleeves and connectors.

- Reassembled the brake reservoir. No need for any expensive parts other than two rubber connectors and new feed hoses.

- The Aircon system is nearly complete. I changed out all hoses til r134 standard, installed new filter and expansion valve and new high & low pressure sensors. Next up is the thermal isolation of the expansion valve and then hookup of compressor and condenser.

- Finally completed installation of all cooling pipes and hoses. I'm now running "classic look" silicone hoses all way around except from the small heater hoses.

Best regards Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgt and Newman like this.
  16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Here is a short update on the situation in the front-end compartment. I have now completed all the major jobs around the front apart from a few details like inspection panels and blackening of various bolts and other hardware to remove the bling effect. Installation and adjustment of the front hood and popup lights are not for the faint hearted and neither are the installation of the 6 pieces of black wool in the spare wheel well, but I managed to get everything in place without any destructive action. I was lucky to find 80% of the wool lining as NOS spares and I was even more lucky to find a completely similar wool fabric in a local store. Also performed some light leather work and overhauled the brake proportional valves. Sorry for the missing light on the pictures....It's winter time.

Best regards Peter

samsaprunoff likes this.
  17. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #146 pshoejberg, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    It's time for a short update. The Corona issue have in practical terms closed down our country and I'm unable to travel to work due to closed borders between the Nordic countries. Fortunately my single man hobby workshop is still running and I have sufficient with spares to continue my project for a little while. The status is now that the front end and the cabin is completely finished. The engine room has been prepared for installation of the engine and the suspension system has been installed in all 4 corners. Completion of the cabin involved the following steps:

- Installation of the dashboard. Dashboard leather and all panels with black leather has been changed recovered with fresh leather due to sun damage on the dash top.

- All other leather and carpet interior is the original. I treated the leather with Leatherique rejuvenator oil and prestine clean and it now appears very close to as new.

- Installation of new sound and vibration dampening material on the floor.

- Installation of aluminum new bottom plate.

- Cleaned the stereo and changed out the tape drive belt and front plate (Thank you Scott / Soshry). Installed NOS pioneer speakers.

- Cleaned out the old grease (Hard and like wax) in the window motors.

- Changed out most rubber seals.

- Extensive test and adjustment of all electrical functions.

- Completed door installation and verified sharp shut lines.

Next up is installation of the brake system and hereafter installation of the engine.

Stay fresh for as long as possible!

Best regards peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  19. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Great stuff. Many of us getting to sneak more garage hours in during these strange time. John

pshoejberg likes this.
  20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #150 pshoejberg, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    It has been busy times on work lately despite the Covid19 trouble so play time in the garage has been limited to a few days over the last many weeks. Nevertheless, I have managed to make some good progress and completed the cabin and most of the rear end. This is the endeavor:

Cabin: Cleaned and oiled the chairs. The leather on the seats appears 100% original with slight patina but in overall very good condition. Maybe someone with more insight than me can confirm if the leather is appearing original from pictures below?

Rear end:
    Wrapped the short exhaust headers with fiber to shield the driveshaft joints from heat. Installed the headers and the new Nuvolari sports exhaust. I was positively surprised over the good fit and no need for any cut and adjust...Amazing when you take the wast numbers of pipe fittings into account and the limited tolerance for the exhaust tips.

Completed installation of all engine auxiliary equipment and added all fluids incl. fuel. Next up will be installation of the wheels and engine start up and tuning.

Best regards Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe and G. Pepper like this.