DIY Instructions: 360 Spider cracked convertible top frame | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DIY Instructions: 360 Spider cracked convertible top frame

Discussion in '360/430' started by Thinwingflyer, May 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tim, To be honest I'd only buy it as insurance in case the one I already installed happens to fail (I don't expect it). I'll send a PM to see what you think.

2. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had Greg at LoCo check mine out after welding the frame piece and he couldn't find any alignment issues and said the straps still had plenty of elasticity in them. In fact he's pretty sure my top is only a few years old based on the condition.

The ONLY thing I can think of is the top was under some "strain" when I opened it on battery power alone (engine not running, but battery attached to tender). That's when the part cracked. The fluid level with top all the way down is at 50% in the reservoir. My assumption is the hydraulic pump didn't create enough pressure on battery power alone so it put too much strain on the system.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

3. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Although most people don't recommend operating the top of the car is not started, I don't believe that alone would cause the frame to crack (due to low hydraulic pressure). There are multiple micro switches used to sequence the top operation in stages.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  4. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Tend to agree with jjsaustin about the top going up/down on battery alone...if the battery were truly down the top mechanism would just grind to a halt. I still think these cracks are associated with misalignment...no matter how caused. Possibly with the fluid being down some air got into one of the hydraulic pistons and caused one side to be less efficient than the other.