TPSM on a FF | FerrariChat

TPSM on a FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by chris0315, Feb 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, I haven't done that before and I wouldn't do it.

I recently bought a second set of OEM wheels for my FF to mount my snow tires. I bought genuine Ferrari TPMS and the cost was $169.50 each, plus the valve stems were an additional $26.

These will last at least 12 years at minimum. Why would I want to save a few dollars for anything less?

2. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    well,
    even here on the board you get tpsm for 40 bucks each. so why spending 170?? and stem even extra? Well, every day there is this one guy..................

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Bought mine off amazon but I don’t think it was any of these. Work fine!

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chris0315 likes this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hey you asked a question and I answered you. It's not my fault you didn't like the answer. There is no need to be insulting members here.

And BTW, what you are looking for is called TPMS.

5. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    sorry, wasn't meant to insult anybody and sorry for the typo. but going back to the Ferrari dealer and paying for an overpriced item was not exactly the advise I was looking for.
    maybe to bring some light in this, these sensors are stock items. of course, every car manufacture has his own frequencies. this one here is at 433Mhz which is (obviously/hopefully) used by Ferrari.
    The alternative would be to buy programmable sensors with a tuner. Since I dont have 12 cars and a user case for this I just go forward and buy pre-programmed sensors. But of course, not for 160 USD each...

Peace!

Nospinzone likes this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No problem!

I like to save money too. I take my 612 to an independent Ferrari mechanic, and the FF will go there once the free maintenance has expired. I looked at the aftermarket ones and I agree they are much cheaper. If they were quickly expendable I probably would have gone with them, but since they last so long when you amortize the cost over such a long period it's not that much. Plus I guess like your original concern, I wondered will these things reliably read psi and temperatures accurately.

I guess the other part for me is I like to maintain my cars in as much original and authentic condition as possible. My 612 has been awarded the Coppa Bella Machina in the two FCA events I have entered it and keeping the car original is essential. Obviously though they are not going to strip the tires off the wheels to check the TPMS. :D

Way2fast and chris0315 like this.
  7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    For years, I have this generic question which I have always forgotten to ask: What do you do if the tpms goes out after the tpms battery is dead? Sure hate to dismount and mount the tire and unnecessarily stretching the tire beads just to change the tpms, especially if the tire is new and recently mounted.

Also, does the tpms last longer if you minimize the number of times you pull up the data screen to see the reading on temp and pressure...causing it to do more transmission of those infos and thus wearing out the internal battery faster?

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hmmm, interesting questions.

I don't think removing and then remounting the tires is an issue. I know people who regularly strip off summer tires for winter and then back again for several seasons without any issues. A key factor is to clean the rim of the wheel where the tire bead makes contact. Sometimes gunk can make for a poor seal.

As to your second question, I don't know, but my uneducated guess is the TPMS sensor is regularly sending readings to the car (on my car the psi and temp readings are constantly changing) so constant checking should not impact battery life.

otakki likes this.
  9. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Removing and remounting tires...
    Sorry guys, maybe no issue if you just go 60mph but everyone who is really using the car to what its made for would freak out reading this.
    I would NEVER do this more than once. It's a 20 plus inch rim and quite soft component. This is not a Kia.
    A tpms battery should last 5 years. I usually change my tires than. No matter how little I ride as well. They get hard and poreus.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is a very comprehensive guide on tires and they discuss every potential problem with the tire bead. There is no mention about mounting and remounting being a problem for the bead unless improper tools are used. I do agree I would not take it to a Kia dealership, and that 5 years is end of tire life for those regularly driving the car. And I am wondering about the 5 year battery life, the originals on my 2008 612 are still operating fine as are the originals on my 2015 FF.

http://www.euroratas.lt/galery/_euroratas/kita/naudinga_informacija/radial_tire_conditins_analysis_guide.pdf

11. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    otakki likes this.
  12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Is that with those exact Mobiletron TPMS via the Amazon link you put up on post #1? Four for $80?!...That's a steal. At a price like that and battery warranty for 3 yrs, might as well change them every 3-4 yrs so wouldn't have to worry about dismounting tire if the battery runs out of juice.

chris0315 likes this.
  13. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    yes sir.
    I actually spend some time with it now and can state, those are pre-programmed for Ferrari. the system is basically self learning and work in a similar way like Garmin and stuff on bicycles. they are throw away items, when battery is empty they need to be entirely replaced - equal to stock. they are on stand by if wheels are not in motion. Once in motion the system is communicating. Life spam of battery should be the same with all systems on the market, unless somebody is using extraordinary battery power (for sure not Ferrari)
    Alternatively, you can also buy the same item and a programmer. the programmer is a little tuner tool. Would makes sense if you have a car collection with several different car brands and you are totally into pressure monitoring :)

I bought mine specifically black, so rim and and valve with black stem. As you can see, i've put a lot of time in this now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

otakki likes this.
  14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    BTW, be careful about the wheel's load rating. Make sure it's enough for FF/Lusso's weight.

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If a TPMS fails, you have to remove the tire in order to replace the sending unit.

otakki likes this.
  16. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    hi, my 2012 ff doesnt have factory tpms. Is it possible / easy to reinstall or activate? anybody has such experience? thank you for your help

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Not exactly true. You don’t need to remove the tire. You just de-bead the tire and press it down a little and there is enough room to replace the sensor. Ultimately you need a tire machine to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  19. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    I had some with winter wheels and they will not work with Lusso, or 812 and later FFs and late F12s. Even my dealer tried to set them up but the car would not recognise them. It’s not just the frequency which maybe correct but the ecu rejects them if the carrier frequency is not coded to the Ferrari ecu. Only the originals will work.

Ferrari know the aftermarket ones exist and have moved accordingly.
    The trouble is that once you find out they don’t work you have to remove the wheel and tyres to send them back and try for a refund. Good luck with that after they have been fitted and removed.

Nospinzone likes this.
  20. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    plus they make out they are German but infact come from China and any complaints go through them

21. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Got my 458 replacements off of Amazon. Worked fine from the get-go...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk