Weird noise in front end | FerrariChat

Weird noise in front end

Discussion in '308/328' started by jim rosenthal, Mar 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    My '85 308 GTB has developed this odd habit; when the car is not moving, but engine turning, and I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, it makes a loud noise as if some rotating part were rubbing on something. It sounds like metal on metal. Moving the wheel even a little towards center position stops it. It is very repeatable- always happens. Anyone ever heard this, any idea what it might be? We will get it on the lift and look but I wondered if anyone else has had this happen.

Off this topic, but I find it very entertaining that as the 308s evolved, the gauge dials became LESS legible than they were at first. Even in broad daylight, I can't see the pointers of the gauges. Crazy.

2. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    I can’t help you with the steering wheel noise, but understand completely about the gauges. I have very seriously considered painting them an orange to match the tach when I had them all apart re- doing the bulbs with LED. But I’m sure no one on FChat would talk to me again.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Worn ball joint or tie rod? Maybe a worn or loose front coil spring assembly? should take the wheel off and torque up all the bolts, something might just be loose.

4. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Off topic, but I can relate. I am blue-green color blind, and I solved my problem like this:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-gauges-out-with-veglia-in-with-vdo.59100/

Without exception, every single person who has noticed the gauges at car shows and such, over the past 15 years, has been very complimentary.

DM