The Third Maserati | Page 8 | FerrariChat

The Third Maserati

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Sr.Pininfarina, Aug 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    It’s the nature of a 90 degree V8 when you remove 2 cylinders to it into a V6 it sounds horrible kind of like a high output Briggs and Straton. Maybe in a move towards tradition they’ll put the cam chains between the cylinders.

2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Which aspect the Maserati MC 20 Press Release do you find unclear:

“A new family of engines”

“100-percent Maserati”

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    LOL it would a 50year anniversary tribute to the SM engine, hard to believe the SM has reached its half century mark!

4. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Am I the only one who finds the shape a bit generic mid engine car? I am very happy that Maserati finally is making a sports car again, but I was hoping for a shape a bit more special. But the shape in the last movie on the square looks like the real one without add-ons.

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    been in the business too long and know how to interpret marketing speak. Also know enough people at SpA, to know what’s coming.

“A new family of engines” - A series of different specification modular engines that we haven’t used previously.

“100 percent Maserati” - Not built by Ferrari, developed by Maserati staff. (FYI Maserati doesn’t have foundries to build its own engines. They will be built at an FCA plant that builds the Quadrifoglio engines.)

6. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I don't think it is necessarily bad that the shape is somewhat generic, as long as the final design stands out as beautiful and clearly identified as a Maserati; think of the Alfieri, which was precisely that, yet the shape itself was generic to that of a GT car.

boralogist and lineaTesoro like this.
  7. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    The sound of the prototype in the video may have not been particularly great, but I expect Maserati will fine-tune it to produce a really nice sounding car, much like the Merak V6 of the 1970s and early 1980s.

boralogist likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes if that is not the final sound let's hope so:)

9. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Given the COVID-19 situation, I think it is unlikely that the planned schedule with a presentation at the end of May will hold. All car production in Italy is suspended, and other activities, including testing, are probably down to a trickle.

lineaTesoro and Nembo1777 like this.
  10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Really the truth be told the Alfa carbon tub 4C and Quadrifolio Alfa's motor are more Maserati design than Alfa. Let's not also forget the Pentastar Maserati(and Ferrari) block from the Ghibli is not well loved, so Maserati has not been doing their best work for the Maserati brand until now. I suspect legally they could get away with calling a revised and stretched 4C chassis with a revised Alfa 6C motor a Maserati design.

11. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I know there was some finger pointing about QC problems with those castings but in my drive of the Levante S if someone thinks that's not a nice sounding engine and just lovely to drive then they're clueless. I don't like how the engines look compared with that ever so lovely looking 4200 series engines. Hard to beat how those looked. But I think these cars drive much better than the 4200 coupes which had that gawd awful Ferrari sourced f1 tranny. THAT was the dumbest move Maserati made since 2000, no question. Look at all those lovely QPVs that just languish now. Given the craze once more for SUVs and cross overs I think in the long run Levante type vehicle may have been their smartest move. They need to finish executing that line. The market wants what the market wants ... Fanatics like us ... well we'll never be quite satisfied. Not doing the Alfieri is such a huge let down, especially giving it to Ferrari!

flat_plane_eddie and boralogist like this.
  12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I was mainly referring to the casting problems but no one has proven yet if it was Pentastar V6 block or the factory in Italy that messed up. Judging by the Maserati/FIAT reaction it sounds like the machining in Italy is suspected. On the sound, the Ghibli motor sounds nice after its revving but sound horrible when you first start out, typical turbo sound. The Levante S is not a V6 but a V8, although still a tuned exhaust turbo as you I am sure know.

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You're thinking of the GTS which I didn't drive.

14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    the Levante S is a 420ish HP V6, the GTS is a 550 HP V8, the Trofeo is a 590 HP V8. One the V6 casting they are made at The Chrysler Kokomo, Indiana plant supposedly by employees from a company in Maranello, Italy. The blocks are then machined and assembled by that same company in Maranello.

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Sorry I thought you were referring to the V8 model for some reason. Don't really care for the sound of the V6 turbo motors when starting out but they sounds nice after getting the revs high.

staatsof likes this.
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They probably had inspections at Kokomo for the casting before being sent to Italy for the final assembly and machining. Looks like the company from Maranello got blamed due to poor machining.

17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    there has been a lot of animosity between Maranello and Modena for a number of years. Especially since the IPO, it’s not just engine related issues from Maranello. The paint quality on GranTurismos has been horrible, so much so that Maserati has now built its paint shop in Modena so its no longer relying on Ferrari for models built in Modena.

F1tommy and boralogist like this.
  18. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Has been painful to observe, even though at long distance, what appears to have been a second-class treatment of Maserati over quite some time. Still, given the sharp fronts between the two marques for so much of their histories, this is not surprising.

Of course, just the fact that probably the best informed and most interesting conversations about classic Maserati cars take place at "Ferrarichat" is in its self close to an absurdity.

flat_plane_eddie and Nembo1777 like this.
  19. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    As an FYI not surprising the debut of the MC 20 scheduled for May in Modena has been rescheduled for September.

20. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    BRAVO!

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No surprise here but... launch event has been postponed until September.

22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I can see the alfa 4c architecture. Looks promising

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I read it was going to be 100% electric.

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Where did you hear that Andrew?? I wonder if they are changing their minds. Originally they said the would offer a hybrid with ICE.