Battery for 2006 F430 Spider.. be gentle... :) | FerrariChat

Battery for 2006 F430 Spider.. be gentle... :)

Discussion in '360/430' started by PCarRI, Mar 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    So for those who feel the immediate need to flame for "not searching and daring to have a conversation on a social forum", I did search and found conflicting info here. So asking the bright guys here who have experience on this.

Taking delivery of a new (to me) 2006 Ferrari F430 Spider soon. My first Italian specimen after 18 straight Porsches, hoping I made the right decision!

Anyways, in the PPI they noted the battery could use a charge. To be honest, I just want to start out on the right foot and I'm just replacing it so I know that's one thing down.

Been a fan of Interstate, and in reading the forums here it seems that the two models that might fit are the MTZ-48/H6 and the MTZ-34R. The 34R is what is recommended on the Interstate site, however read a thread here that the 48 fits better and is a better replacement. Saw a pic from a poster that the 34R is able to be screwed down with the posts, just lower on the face of the battery. I'd like to lean toward the 34R as more CA and CCA, but obv the fit is important as well.

Thoughts? Be nice to the newbs please... LOL

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well... I just replaced my dead MTZ-34R from Interstate after 4yrs/7mo. I replaced it with the same battery. I found that I can place the bracket at the top front edge of the battery and have just enough threads to tighten the bracket down. I installed the previous battery the same way and it didn't budge in all those years. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

3. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Thanks Bob. I saw your previous post in this. Wanted to make sure. Thanks again!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Congrats on your new F430 Spider. You will love it. Really not much not to like.
    The body style is a rolling piece of beautiful Italian artwork, driving experience is just phenomenal.
    Drive it like you stole it and it wont disappoint. Your face will hurt from smiling every time you drive it.
    Just save money for repairs as they are not cheap.

Now with regards to batteries, as you may have read here, these cars are very sensitive to voltage irregularities so its best to just replace the battery preventively every 4 years or 3.5 years. Nothing worse than all sorts of CEL being thrown & cant figure out why or a nice Ferrari parked somewhere but it wont go or it wont start.

I can only vouch for what I installed on mine. Interstate MT7-48/H6.
    I made it fit and 100% reliable.

Hope that helps.

Dan

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-battery-replacement.318758/page-5#post-145542306

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Raconteur likes this.
  5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you change it yourself, be careful to cover the positive terminal post , so it does not short on any brackets when you pull it out. A deep socket covered in insulation tape is a good idea when letting the positive bolt off.

Flea7 and whatheheck like this.
  6. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Ahhhh, I love little nuggets like this. Obv never done this job before, so assuming it's a tight space from the look of Bob's pic there and nothing like the battery I just swapped into my wife's Lexus.

when you say cover the pos terminal, you mean just put something over it, like a small funnel, to ensure it doesn't touch anything while pulling the bolt off?

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Very good advice and I always do that.

Simply put, save the battery terminal covers when you buy the battery brand new so you can use it during installation so that the terminals wont touch any metals in the car that can cause a short circuit.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just some bit of plastic to cover terminal. Also the battery has a vent pipe fitted on the side which goes through the floor of the car. The little right angle fitting can be pulled out of the battery case so you dont break it trying to pull the battery out. It is on the right in a uk car but you lot drive on the wrong side of the road so vent maybe reversed as well. Time u drove on the correct side .

9. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    I like Bob's suggestion of using the plastic terminal covers from the new battery onto the old. Thanks again.
    As far as driving, we already drive on the "right" side... :)
    yuck yuck yuck... I'll be here all night ladies and gentlemen

10. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Search YouTube for video on how to replace battery on 430

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Did that, don't you think every search in the world starts on YouTube? :)

It was the type of battery I was asking about.

Way2fast likes this.
  12. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Whatever fits will work. Batteries are categorized by dimensions so measure your old one and match it size wise. Nothing special about batteries.

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    For the most part true. Unless you live in a particularly harsh environment it doesn't matter too much. Interstate makes a great battery.

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I know I am not in majority but i still like the optium battery

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

15. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Why?

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    It does spill or has any gases escaping .. looks nice and fits perfectly since that was original equipment for at least my Scud.. not sure when they changed brands

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I assume you are asking why the suggestion not why for a harsher environment.

I am not an optima fan. The rolled design tends to be susceptible to internal shorts under harsh conditions and high G loads. For a car, I like Interstate because they make a consistent quality with a great lifespan. Several manufacturers make a decent product but the variability is much higher than Interstate. If you are trying to shave every ounce, it is a different question and a different suggestion.

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    OP, I can't tell you on the 430 but on the 360 the height is important. A 34R is a very tight fit near the posts and can short. Look at the clearance the the backing bar on the cover plate/floorboard.

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    So an H6 fits better then, because the issue is height not other dimensions?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    I love that there is so much discussion on this, shows that searching isn’t always the solution.
    I’ve read pros and cons for optima as well as the red/yellow top ones. Don’t even know what that is.

I’d like to lean towards the 34 as it has more CA and CCA, and we already have someone here who says they swear by them. But I understand fit is important as well. Decisions!

22. Fixjets777

Fixjets777 Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I just very recently installed a InterstateMTZ-34R in my 2007 F430. It fits fine with the clamp on a lower rib of the case as previously mentioned. I did use the kill switch in the frunk to prevent any shorting. Just be sure you have the radio code if you go that route.

whatheheck and Bob in Texas like this.
  23. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    TY much. Was planning on using that switch since the car has an aftermarket head unit anyways...

24. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Installing a battery can be made a bit easier by removing the right hand screw that fixes the lateral bar to the chassis. The carpet pad attaches to this bar. The bar can be gently moved upward to place the battery and reattach the clamps. The OEM shield on the positive terminal will fit under the bar to prevent a short, although one may wish to take extra precautions.

In spite of the above, fitting a new battery is a pain in the a**.

25. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I put in an Odyssey 48-720 a few years ago. Fit perfect, and has performed without issue. Individual experiences tend to vary, but when it’s time I see no reason to get anything different.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat