Garage lighting ideas | FerrariChat

Garage lighting ideas

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by azzurribaggio, Nov 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Hello, I'm about to embark on finally putting in some serious lighting in my garage to replace the one 100 watt light bulb in there LoL... Wanted to get some advice with those that have created some nice lighting within their garage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    4000K color temp LED strip lights. 5000-7000 lumens. 4000K is a nice bright white light with good color rendering. Traditional warm white 2700-3000K is not the best for shop lighting and 5000K or greater is too harsh.

Solid State and Bryanp like this.
  3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    What kind of electrical fixtures or outlets do you have? If just the one then you could try one of the "corn cob" bulbs. Just replace the existing 100 watt (1600) lumen with something like this.

https://www.ledlightexpert.com/150-Watt-E39-LED-Bulb--21892-Lumens-5000K_p_63.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxqmhgsaQ5gIVqyCtBh3IAwrzEAQYBCABEgLKAvD_BwE

Well that one has 22,000 lumens so it might be a little over the top but you get the idea. They make many different lumen and color choices. Just keep in mind you currently have 1600 lumens so size accordingly.

4. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    I'm a big fan of Hyperikon (https://www.hyperikon.com). You can get numerous choices in commercial grade LED tubes that will retrofit into standard fluorescent fixtures in a large selection of color temp and brightness (you might have to disable the ballast though). Quality is excellent, shipment is quick, prices are reasonable, and they will actually entertain counteroffers! If a tube is not your thing, they have numerous other options including LED fixtures. Worth checking out.

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I like this brand also. Installed 20 of these in can lights in part of the garage. Difficult to do if existing construction.

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Costco recently had some motion detector led ‘shop lights’ that are just ez, simple, and plug into any outlet if anyone looking for cheap functional garage units.

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I've been in the electronics industry for many years - helping customers work through the conversion of commercial, automotive and residential lighting to LED technology. Any light source "whiter" than 4000K color temperature is too harsh for home shop/display in my opinion. Here are a few references:

Warm Light (2000K-3000K): Typically for ambient lighting in relaxation/leisure areas like Living Rooms, Hotel Lounges, Restaurants.

Neutral Light (3500-4500K): Typical for general purpose such as Offices, Lobbies, Classrooms, and Retail

Daylight White (5000-6000K): Typical for high task high visibility needs such as Workshops, Laboratories, Kitchens, and Manufacturing

Cool White (5500-6500K): Typical for outdoor lighting such as street lights, parking lots, warehouses

Typical Color Temps

1000K: Low Pressure Sodium

1500K: Candlelight

2200K: High Pressure Sodium

2700K: 60W Incandescent

3000K: 200W Incandescent

3200K: Sunset/Sunrise

3400K: Tungsten Halogen

4000K: Standard Metal Halide

4200K: Typical Office Fluorescent

5000K: Daylight White

5500K: Noontime Sunshine

5500K: Daylight Metal Halide

7500K: Overcast Sky Mid-Day

10000K: Aquarium Lighting

9. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
  10. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Have adjustable cans (boxed in with drywall) that range from 2700-5000k. They are set at 5000K and accompanied by 6 5000K 2'x2' LED panels. Works out pretty nice and looks interesting.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Chad Thomas likes this.
  11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I just went with the old tried-and-true track lighting. Cheap, and looks much better than the fluorescent fixtures I had in there before. Matched with 100-watt equivalent daylight bulbs and my Chamberlain garage door opener, it's pretty darn bright in there. Expandable also, I may get 90 degree couplers and expand them even more if I want to blind folks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Lagunae92 likes this.
  13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Keep in mind that too much light is very hard on the eyes, and you don't want fixtures where in your peripheral vision you have too much glare. While Led's are all the rage, and of course very energy efficient, they can be very hard on the eyes and some can give a flicker effect (both visible and invisible flicker) depending on tghe drivers that control the lighting. And for sure, stay with the warm spectrum, the blue light spectrun from high K temp LED's is now shown to cause retinal damage. The flat panel types of fixtures don't let much light out horizontally, they tend to down light. Old style flourescents have a much more diffuse light, and in surface mount fixtures often had side depth that allowed for some side diffusion as well, tending to flood the room, which is generally easy on the eys and what you want.

Sorry I sound old school, but the Led industry is still in an exciting experimental phase, with all kinds of technology advances, but is really winning over people for architectual design reasons more than the quality or appeal of the lighting effect. It is best if you can see the fixtures in a live application before you buy.

While it may not be high tech, a few well placed warm to daylight flourescent fixtures, with old fashioned incandescents for task lighting areas is still the gold standard.

JLF likes this.
  14. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    When I did my garage - I installed normal fixtures that throw off nice complimentary light. I also installed LED panels on a different circuit for when I am working on something.

15. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Where did you purchase these lights? I've seen this style in many locations but never pulled the trigger.

Chad Thomas likes this.
  16. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Extreme1, Thecadster and MobileJay like this.
  17. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    No worries, thanks I’ll check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Nice car (and matching wall colour)! The lighting does seem to take up alot of ceiling square footage for the amount of light produced. I notice there are pot lights on the permiter too, meaning the lighting of just the panels must not distribute well, this directional down lighting effect is part of the problem with led's or more accurately the lack of desire to design more costly reflectors and diffusers into the design.

19. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Thanks. Waiting for the Ferrari shield to come. There are can lights around the perimeter for two reasons. They are adjustable temperature color, and there for standard work light. The LED panels were chosen because I like the look and how much presence they have. Don’t need the cans on as well, but the cans aren’t enough in this configuration and with the panels on it is much better. What you are seeing is one guys vision with form over function. Could have done it much more economically and minimalistic, but this has better presence.

20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Three different configurations. May try 4000k on the cans.

21. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yes, I understand that aesthetics are a big part of led lighting, that's why architects love them, so we are in a golden age of lighting experimentation. I suppose the designer of this car could have used a simple dome light for the function :) I wonder if anyone has done a starlight garage ceiling...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mang likes this.
  22. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    That would be fun! I did see that an F8 owner put a starry headliner in. I like it in the rolls. Not in an F car.

jake23581 likes this.
  23. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
  24. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Thanks! There's more to it and more coming. I'll post it up when it's done. The Pista is Rosso Fuoco and the 812 is Rosso Maranello.