360 - RMR post on Challenge air intake duct | FerrariChat

360 RMR post on Challenge air intake duct

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mel Spillman, Mar 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    What happened to the RMR post on their intake duct????

2. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Hey Mel is there a question about Challenge carbon intake maybe I can help ?

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Removed, non-subscribed member with item to sell, borderline sponsorship needed.

f355spider and RANDY6005 like this.
  4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was interested at first, then did some research and decided the performance claims were not obtainable.

5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    how did you come by this information? I was considering , thought the price was a bit high

6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Just FYI, I picked up the actual Challenge carbon fiber intake duct and flex hose for about 300. As far as the hp claims go, AFAIK, the Challenge Stradale gets it's boost in hp from the bump in compression, revised ECU maps, and less restrictive CS exhaust, which amounted to a 25 hp bump per Ferrari. It was determined after the 360 was released that the thicker pillar for the mirrors blocked a significant amount of airflow to the intake which is why the Challenge Stradale got the cute thin carbon mirrors and the 430 got the dual stock ones. How significant, I don't know but I doubt it was anything more than a few hp at top speed no less. Looking at he intake system for the car, I doubt seriously that there was any sort of "ram air" effect in play but I'm just speculating....

tonyc likes this.
  7. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Someone much more knowledgeable than me offered some insight, and I considered what they said and came to my own conclusions. A couple points
    1/ speed required to create any meaningful ram air effects, i.e. pressurization of the induction system, is much greater than road legal speeds and even higher than most would ever see on the track.
    2/ the air plenum under the filter boxes has holes to allow drainage, thus negating any possible ram air contribution
    3/ At lower speeds the current air intake is not that restrictive that the new would result in any significant gains. The air filters themselves are the choke point.
    4/ The 360 Challenge did not have much power increase over the stock road car. Most of the gain was apparently due to exhaust system.

I just didn't see any reasonable explanation that this simple kit would add 20hp.

tonyc and f355spider like this.
  8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    All valuable points which makes this not worth the money

9. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I have heard a few times that the CS mirrors where raised to allow more air to flow into the intake. And at top speed you would gain 20 more HP than a stock 360 mirror .

I replace mine with Challenge 360 carbon fiber intake and Challenge rubber intake tube . The stock 360 air intake system has a hole about the size of a silver dollar that allows water to from washing and rain water. At the of bottom of the air box two small hole to drain water as well , The challenge carbon fiber air intake has a small hole as well less the size of a dime , and there is a good bit of weight saving as well

10. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  12. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    If you close you can see the small Challenge carbon fiber intake

13. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Cool. Published 'top speed' is only 183mph +/-.