Looking for 348 window alignment procedure | FerrariChat

Looking for 348 window alignment procedure

Discussion in '348/355' started by yelcab, Mar 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I removed the window regulator to change a motor. Runs fine on the bench, runs fine in the car without the glass, runs slow and glass is 1 inch too low at the rear. I need to find a procedure to align the window glass. Does anybody have it?

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Sounds like you've got the sides out of synch. It's been 20 years since I messed with one of those.

Pangea likes this.
  3. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Did you notice the odd shaped holes on the regulator brackets where the window glass and metal supports are attached ? There is a fair bit of movement there up and down or side to side. Thats the adjustment..It was a trial and error thing to get them right as I could find no info on how to get the alignment easily but you can do it with a little time spent. Mounting the glass can make a big difference to the speed of the regulator either through weight or misalignment causing resistance against the window guides or both. Just my experience. Maybe someone has the secret.

Note the 4 holes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I saw the 4 holes but I think Tim got it right. I need to remove the regulator again and move one bracket up while keeping the other side the same. 1/2 inch is what I need. In fact your picture shows one side 1/2 higher than the other bracket. As it is now, the 4 holes do not provide enough adjustment. What a pain.

Pangea likes this.
  5. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Sure. I didn't mess with my regulators and motors, I just took them out and put them onto a shelf. Fitted back as removed. Didn't have the issue you have. Just the glass needed to be adjusted. Good luck.

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    You can try balancing the lift cables in situ. They are probably out of synch by one flat of the square in the drive gears. If there is access to the motor mounting bolts, you can remove them, uncouple the motor, loosen slightly the four nuts holding the glass to the brackets, lift the low side (or push down the high side) and re-attach the motor. Then you should be in the range of fine adjustment via the four holes on the brackets.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Success !
    I removed the whole thing from the car (the second time did not take long), removed the motor from the assembly, moved the low side up 1/2 inch, remounted the motor.

Then, after putting the whole thing back into the door, I left loose the two upper mounting nuts for the regulator, and did some final adjustment. Moving the window up into its final position with the two upper nuts loose was a good idea. When it settled into its final position, tightening the two upper nuts finished the job.

Using a meter, I found that only 8 volts is present at the motor when windows are operated. I may try to find a way to improve that situation a bit.

8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I managed to get my windows move faster by installing a "ground improvement" circuitry in each door as shown on the diagram. You need two standard car relays and two small diodes per door. I grounded the relays to the door panel and, as the hinges are not very good ground conductors, I also installed small ground straps to connect each door to the body.

9. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Looks similar to my problem on my 355. Rear end of the pass door window is around ½" too low in its upper pos, so I will try do similar adjustment as you did