What do you say, if asked if you own a Ferrari? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What do you say, if asked if you own a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Enzo's Long Lost Son, Mar 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Exactly my response! :D

Yes. I often take a minute or two to explain either the car and let them see it, or if they ask what I do or how I earned it, some general business concepts. For those people I am probably the only Ferrari owner they have talked to, and I also feel an obligation to be a good brand ambassador.

sf_hombre and PTG1 like this.
  2. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    "No, it owns me"

SonomaRik, m5shiv, VAF84 and 5 others like this.
  3. Godchild14

Godchild14 Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Frandy Blain

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Since 1985 everyone in this business has always ever referred to them as "250 GTO or 288 GTO". Because the factory named both the same.

SonomaRik and G. Pepper like this.
  5. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Tell them yes, the dealer thre in the swag when I bought my car.
    Or just wear a Porsche hat and answer no I don't own a Porsche

6. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have some two dozen USN ball caps, and I typically wear one when I drive the F car. Often, I am told "thank you for your service" that mandates I say that I am not a veteran, but have walked the decks of eight BBs and four CVs. This generally starts a great conversation. We do talk about the car... a bit.

7. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Just a car. Ouch. Don’t listen Gina. He didn’t mean it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I wear company swag all the time. I have lots of it... but usually only one thing at a time... maybe a Ferrari polo and a hat if its really hot out. or cold...
    I have an F-1 team jacket so I wear it and usually just regular clothes... I think one thing at a time looks good. I have seem some folks who are decked out heat to toe... and if you like it - great. if someone asks me if I have a Ferrari I say "yes" then ask if they are in to Ferrari's too... what their favorite is etc. I don't think its rude at all. I also get some folks asking me if I like Ferrari's when I'm at Barnes and Nobel looking at car mags... (usually looking at Enzo or one of the F-1 mags )

VAF84 likes this.
  9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

The Ferrari Client relationship is a bit perverse. I too feel obligated to be a "good Ferrari owner" ... but Ferrari does not really care that much about its clients ( or used to....) long waiting lists etc... our Local dealer treats me like gold... for no good reason ... but FNA and Ferrari in Italy... could care less..... I've always found it odd ... a little like a abusive relationship, but I keep coming back!

psych0hans and ryalex like this.
  10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You're rude for posting this.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Which never, ever happens.

If they determine I'm a likely owner based on some other reason (seeing me near the car, the keychain, etc) - then I say "Yes, I do."

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Apparently Enzo's son is lost again! :D

tomc and psych0hans like this.
  13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol....I see what you did there, and I like it

psych0hans likes this.
  14. italia16

italia16 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2004
    I say yes in public but no at work.
    In public, I enjoy talking with others that share the Ferrari passion, either for the beautiful cars and/or F1 racing.
    At work, I lie because I have told people in the past and it got around, including upper management, and I felt (true or not) it was a factor in the size of the raise I got each year. I need more money, like everyone else, so I act poor at work. Owning a 328 is nothing like owning a new 488.

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nobody really asks me, but if they do, I tell them I used to own one, and that my dad had several over the years. Nothing to be shy about. Let the excitement show!

16. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Although I appreciate the difference in a 328 versus a 488, both have a Ferrari logo and that's sufficient to evoke a certain disdain among the so inclined -- ownership is restricted to rich people. It is not fair, as many of us can relate how it took years to build a career that allowed the purchase of a used vehicle and the cash flow to maintain it.

There are times when humility is an entirely proper course of action particularly if it helps to minimize a wanton act of destruction like someone running a key down the side of your vehicle.

psych0hans likes this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I say, "Well, I actually have four."

:D

PTG1, syata, psych0hans and 1 other person like this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Dude...if I saw you on the elevator I'd be worried you will ask me for a sandwich or something... :)

sf_hombre and Cigarzman like this.
  19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Wow , that’s harsh just because I look homeless. :)

ryalex and sf_hombre like this.
  20. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Reminds me of one more work story. We had a vendor that sold us on a decision system that according to the salesperson would do everything including give you a blowjob. Needless to say, it didn’t.

We had a meeting with them to tell them we were discontinuing the POC, and would be going with a competitor. Their VP of sales was on site in a conference room with me and my boss. We had about a half dozen of the vendor staff dialed in on a conference call.

I made a comment along the lines of “You sold us a Ferrari, but you delivered a Chevette.” She asked “Well do you really want a Ferrari?” I looked at her, paused and said “Yes. Yes I do.”

My boss burst out laughing and said to the people dialed in on the phone “Just for the record, Paul is sitting here in the room with us wearing one of his Ferrari Club Of America shirts.”

psych0hans and tomc like this.
  21. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Don’t feel bad, Kirk. Next time I see you I’ll spot you a sandwich.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You are kinda homeless right now...:D...though when it’s done it will be awesome. Can’t wait to come over and watch movies!

Cigarzman likes this.