FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 16 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    $6,800 as of 6 months ago from notes that i have written down. if anyone can confirm prices in the US that wld be great.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Jaguar36 like this.
  2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I paid somewhere between $5,200 - 5,600 annually for our 2012 FF extended warranty via Ferrari of Atlanta. Miss that car a lot.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That’s roughly what I paid for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I paid 4500$ for 2 year NPW extension on 2016 FF

5. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    #380 EndlessDoodles, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    I think given the work the guy did pulling the PTU out, a fair kudos would be to identify him by his handle alone, like everyone else. No other contributor to the data has such a descriptive title and it isn't value-neutral. If his contribution passes muster report it, if not, don't.

Guy pulls the car apart and people who can't turn a wrench have their reading glasses perched on their nose pointing at the warranty doc (carefully removed from its laminated cover) for his outrageous rental behavior. He should have become a CPA, like them.

I don't know many satisfied Ferrari customers. I know lots of satisfied Ferrari owners. We're all trying to survive as Ferrari customers.

Even for the very best customers with near concierge care with local dealer they are hand-wringing about the next limited limited car. I love the cars but it has a pretty heavy whiff of the multi level marketing about it.

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes extensions/continuations from original warranty are cheaper than buying one on a 2012 etc...

7. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Fair enough - I can’t go back and edit it now. It was a copy and paste from an earlier post before all the rental stuff came out so apologies if it comes across as judgemental. It was written at a time when Guilherme was making quite emotional statements across several threads and I’ll admit that I doubted his sincerity. Thankfully, that’s behind us and we’re back to the facts.

EndlessDoodles likes this.
  8. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016

No I get that. And I did see it wasn't your original construction. All good.

Ok carry on with warranty talk episode vol 265 , chaps.

9. vegasviper

vegasviper Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2005
    Las Vegas,NV

DCT repaired. Dealer price for kit was +/-$7500, bought repair kit from scuderia for +/-$4k, out the door around $7500.
    Sidebar, dealer price on windshield was $5K, bought from scuderia for $2200

Nospinzone likes this.
  10. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    This thread is getting confusing now. The discussion here is not about DCT but the PTU. The DCT is a well known and established problem with a known fix at a known price point. This is also a problem with a number of pre Turbo California and very early 458s.
    The PTU is a problem unique to the FF and GTC4Lusso and one that does not have a repair, needs full replacement and has a very high cost associated with it. There have been statements made regarding a repair but no concrete evidence and no concrete pricing associated with it.
    Can we please not muddle this thread by mixing the two issues.

timjen88, PTG1, otakki and 3 others like this.
  11. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I paid $5700 last May for powertrain warranty on my 2012 FF

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

12. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Totally agree,

Having had yet another lengthy conversation with my highly respected 'Ferrari Global Dealer of the Year" I'm convinced the PTU is not a common fault to be overly concerned with unless your car has been extensively tracked or loaned / hired out to throttle cowboys for extensive abuse. There will always be the unlucky owners who's car develops the problem but these are very few.
    To spend £300,000 on my Lusso which I intend to keep and not continue the warranty after the 4 year warranty expires would be madness. To buy a used FF or Lusso from a non registered dealer without a full main dealer service and repair history negating the warranty extension option would be mad.
    To buy a Used FF or Lusso from a main Ferrari dealer you get a 2 year warranty with the extension option of a full 'Power Train Warranty' option upto 60,000 miles for €5000 or £3500 + Vat or $6,000 ish which I would have thought the blindingly obvious choice .

I think this thread has served to put more people off considering an FF or Lusso and created a sense of fear that is easily resolved by common sense and logic.

SAFE4NOW and ANOpax like this.
  13. vegasviper

vegasviper Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2005
    Las Vegas,NV

read the post I was responding too......

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this whole thread is painful
    post 116 says PTU cost to fix is $18k while DCT is $7,500. If both went on a car that wld be $26K. $26k divided by $6k for warranty is 4 years and change.

Caeruleus11, otakki and Jaguar36 like this.
  15. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    15k Rebuild+labor! They did a great job. I can't believe that we were going to pay 50k

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thanks daniel - who did the work?
    endlessdoodles - do you owe me an apology?

17. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    They're receiving ptu units daily for rebuilt. Also there were 3 Ff at the shop while we're picking up ours.

18. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    Yea rebuilt no warranty, our friend recommended who replaced his Murcielago clutch with theirs made. So we paid 15k rebuild and labor and we’re happy with it.

19. Daniel1453

Daniel1453 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    New York
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reaves
    Well there is, you gotta catch up

20. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    You are wrong. There is not! You had rebuilt your own PTU which most of the parts remain the original part from your PTU like the solenoid block, solenoids, etc. When you replace a PTU from a different car, you need to calibrate and program that PTU to the car you installing on. Ferrari has to require the software specific to your vin number from Italy and that alone costs $2,500. So maybe you the one that has to catch up, because I’ve been trying to find a solution for everyone with my own hands and I’m not here speculating or talking about warranty etc. obviously if I had warranty I’d never touched it myself but it is what it is. Maybe why don’t you share who did the work, his contact info and make a positive contribution to this forum instead of “pointing” that I need to catch up?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

papou likes this.
  21. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    So i notice a considerable leak the other day on my 14 FF (6k miles) and had it picked up by the local F Dealer. Warning light came on when i started it up to have it flat bedded Low 4AWD oil pressure. I had the 2 year Power train warranty added when i purchase the vehicle. Dealer says: "
    There’s a braided steel line that feeds oil to the PTU that is leaking. Difficult to say if it is “damaged” or just faulty. The PTU itself seems OK. Because of the leak in the line, there isn’t sufficient pressure going to the PTU, hence the warning message on the display. Good news is that we can fix. Bad news is that the line is not covered under New Power extended warranty. Looking at around $3800.00 to replace including tax."
    Does this sound right!?!?

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    This was the next reply i received
    that line is not covered under New Power, per my Ferrari Warranty Administrator. It would be covered under 4th and 5th year, but apparently not under New Power.

24. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    The following pricing is for V12 models only:

$8,700.00 4th year warranty extension
    $13,200.00
    4th & 5th year warranty extension
    -or-
    $5,760.00 New Power Warranty 1 year at a time, after the 4th or 5th year warranty extensions expire.

When renewing year over year the above, the following discounts may apply:
    $570.00 Year over year renewal**
    $570.00 No claims in the previous year**

** Each discount is stand alone, meaning you may apply the renewal discount only if you made a claim in the previous year. Or both apply if you are renewing AND no claim made in the previous year.

Lastly,
    If you are still looking for New Power Warranty, with a little something more in the 8th year, you may choose Main Power Warranty ( New Power Warranty that includes your next years annual services )
    $6,160.00 Main Power Warranty 1 year at a time from the 8th on
    $5,544.00 Main Power Warranty 9th year on when renewed on an annual basis

The above prices do not include any Ferrari Chat or Ferrari Club discounts your Ferrari Dealership may unofficially offer.

Hope this helps,

Steve

So, if I am reading your statement correctly... your shop is getting at least 1 Ferrari PTU per day x 5 days a week x 4 weeks a month x 12 months a year equaling 240+ Ferrari PTU to repair ....

When attending the 2020 Fixed operations meeting last week in Miami, I asked a majority of the Service Directors in attendance if they were seeing PTU failures , and almost none had seen any at all.
    Now, those in attendance were all from the FNA region, so maybe your shop is getting a lot internationally ?
    FNA = USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, etc )

I am curious to know, I prefer to be in front of something like this than reactive.

Thank you for your input and feedback!

S

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats so complicated i wld rather take on the 26k risk....