812 without GPF or with? Is there power difference? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

812 without GPF or with? Is there power difference?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Sylvainsm, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Actually it makes sense to do this. By installing GPF in both cars, they only need one type of ECU, one type of engine, one type of exhaust etc. By keeping the SF non-GPF, they will need to separate things a lot more.

2. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Is there documentation in the car that says so? The engine bay sticker or something? That would be the first 812 I’ve heard of with it.

3. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    I haven't asked but will check

Engine type code is same but description changes:

F152DB 2P V12 EURO6D GPF EU AD

4. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    It definitely sounds more muted so looks like I'm going to investigate aftermarket exhaust solutions. I wouldn't remove gpf as I'm afraid it could lead to serious problems.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Thank you.

I think the interesting part is to know if it sits within the manifold before the cats. That means you can decat and possibly use existing aftermarket systems.

6. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!
    Mine is being currently built and here is my coding without GPF
    F152CB 2P V12 USA ADAS MY20
    Am I reading this correctly?

Caeruleus11, Cnoordz and of2worlds like this.
  7. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Where do you find the engine codes? Of course everything is speculation and nobody really knows, but perhaps US deliveries or those outside of the EU are still getting the old setup?

8. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    It was on the order MODIS after Red10.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    F152DB 2P V12 EURO6D GPF EU AD
    F152CB 2P V12 USA ADAS MY20

My amateur interpretation: USA gets ADAS, no GPF. EURO gets GPF and ADAS (that "AD" at end is probably missing the "AS")

Could this indeed be the case?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    How can you identify that?. Mine arriving next week

11. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Underside of hood, passenger side (US cars).

of2worlds likes this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I wonder if they change the vehicle weight listed for the GPF version?

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    According to a tech at the factory, they are all done the same way moving on. There will still be a few SF's delivered in both EU and US without GPF, but after that GPF all across the board. GTS versions will have GPF for all regions as well - no exceptions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My 2020 does not. Delivered September 2019.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Same here, October 2019 build, No GPF.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If there are pre and post GPF 812s then that does speak to a potential in desirability way down the line. May be in store for Pista if they keep making them longer.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I feel fortunate my 2020 does not have it. Pista is on the boat. Hoping that does not have it either.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No Pistas will be made with GPF.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11, of2worlds and LVP488 like this.
  19. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Good morning to everyone,

It appears therefore the number of 812SF without GPF will end up being fairly limited since they would have produced for approximately 2 years.
    does anyone have an opinion on potential future desirability or value? A 2 year production run likely means no more than 2000 cars which feels fairly rare...

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I highly doubt it will matter whether it has GPF or not in terms of resale. Yes, it matters to a few, but the majority of buyers won't care. Hell, most guys purchasing now don't care. You have to keep in mind that we here are not the norm, we are a group of enthusiasts who are more inclined to factor in such a thing when purchasing used. But most "regular" owners see an 812, and they won't care or even know about GPF. It might also be the case that the US market for instance where the GPF is not mandatory, will see people who want the noise do GPF deletes in the foreseeable future. Ferrari can say what they want about it being impossible, but you can be 100% sure GPF delete will be available within the next 12-18 months. And like with the cat delete, I suspect that many US dealers, and probably also some dealers on this side of the pond, will be just as happy to keep warranty on the car with GPF delete. I personally already know of two dealers who have promised a client with a GPF fitted 812 that they won't void the warranty due to the GPF delete once available. A lot of the warranty stuff is down to the dealers. If something happens that the dealer contact Ferrari and say they have a warranty case, there's usually no more to it. Some dealers will warrant most things, while others are so misguided and aggressive in relation to not selling OE parts, that they will tell their clients that they won't warrant a car with a Capristo back box, which borders on infantile behaviour.

I can understand why 812 owners of non-GPF cars hope for an increase in value, but I think it's wishful thinking. Yes, it will probably be a bit muted compared to a non-GPF car, but it will be nowhere near the difference between say a 360 and the flatulent dull sound of an F8. From what I hear from people sho have heard the GPF 812 first hand driven in anger, it is a bit more quiet at idle, but still a proper screamer once driven. I was told that the GPF is early in the system, right after the headers, so I think that could very well mean that a GPF car can be both decatted and run aftermarket X.pipes and rear boxes. So I can imagine that an uncorked GPF 812 with no cats and a full system will be a loud mother still. Don't forget that most who do aftermarket systems stick with either stock cats or sports cats. This tells us that a fully open system is for all intended purposes only something a select few actually wants. I've heard a straight piped 812 without flap regulation, and that kinda renders the car unusable in most cases. You can forget about taking such a car anywhere near a track as it will be blackflagged before it leaves the pit lane.

Caeruleus11 and LMH like this.
  21. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I’ve ordered my 812 sf last November . I liked so much better noise compared to my F12 . I went to see 812 GTS last December and I saw it coming inside dealer’s saloon . I didn’t like how smooth it was at idle and I switched it on later in order to check it again . It is like a normal car at idle but as soon as you push it ,sound is coming out even if it is not the same as before . Mine has been completed early March and I have confirmation it has GPF even if it is not here yet . I hope a possibility to remove it will be possible in next future . It is a big change !

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    I do agree with you that it’s a big departure from the F12 . I was a long time in love with the F12 and it took me a while for the 812 to grow on me. As soon as I’ve driven i immediately saw how big an improvement it was compared to the ( amazing) F12. Sound is way better, the car feels more responsive , faster , cabin is more refined and there are lots of technological improvements which imo make the 812 more practical. This is the car I could see myself keep for the long term its brilliant , especially if thats the last non assisted v12.
    I went to see the GTS in september at the launch in Italy and had a slot, but i find the lines of the coupe more beautiful. And the sound of the car that could be heard from the launch video was a deal breaker for me i could immediately notice that it was more muted. Not that it diesn’t good i’m sure it’s briliant but i’m one of those for whom the pure sound of a na v12 matters..

Caeruleus11 and Gianfranco341 like this.
  23. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I had many sport cars but F12 was the best by far . I’ve been in love with it for some years . I still think it has the best design . 812 has been normal step up . I didn’t test it but due to F12 was already the top for me then 812 should be just better as a development of it . I strongly hope to have the possibility to remove GPF .

24. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    I agree with on the design but i must confess once I’ve driven the 812 i felt the car was a big improvement and it started to grow on me. The F12 though will I’m sure remain a special car in the future, however I have decided to keep the 812..

Caeruleus11 and Gianfranco341 like this.
  25. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Fully agree, the V12 sound is very important... I have an 812 (no GPF) and a GTS on order... I’m also nervous about how the new car will sound and have considered cancelling the order. I’m hoping to hear the GTS in person soon so i can decide. The videos I’ve seen and reports I’ve read are inconsistent... some say it’s virtually the same as the 812, some say a lot more muffled.

BTW I’m surprised you made your decision based on the sound in the launch video... I’m not sure that’s actually a GTS, I’d say they used an 812 (no GPF) for the sound..