488 - New Pista Paint Respray? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 New Pista Paint Respray?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by unogib, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    This.

Assuming the car isn't delivered as spec'd... I would have the dealer fix it and then either:
    1. Enjoy it until time to move on...
    2. Return it to the dealer to sell in turn for a future desirable allocation. They may be quite happy with this.

2. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Repainted stripes? I'd be amazed if someone was willing to pay market value for a Pista Spider that was touched up at all, let alone completely resprayed for stripe colors. Perhaps if that car had some history.

100% - This is the mindset to go forward with when the car comes in. Don't let them take you for a ride, but don't be an idiot and burn the bridges before hearing go-forward ideas/options.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    In truth, if the dealer makes good, the likelihood of anyone knowing is minimal especially if the car is going to be full pffs coverage which, I would expect for a car like this. As long as the spec sheet shows what is was meant to be and the car looks as its meant to be it will be fine, get out of the dealer whatever concessions you can and if that makes good in your mind great, if not refuse. I'm not sure if this indeed is delivered not as ordered how this is any different to any other product/ deal you do, if it feels right great, if not dump it, yes it's not meant to be that way but, at this level I'm sure you have been around the block enough to know people are only human and f*****s happen at all levels, its not ideal by any stretch but I'm sure its not that big a deal in your live either. If it was me I would get dealer to fix, get what I can out of them, with them paying for full off in addition and enjoy thr hell out of the car

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think you would be surprised if you knew how many of such cars have touch ups or partial resprays. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but around where I am, people track their cars - hard! Went to an informal track even in August, within three hours a Pista and GT2RS had been totaled. Not saying that's common or a good thing, but some owners really use their track focused cars a lot. I have seen my share of regular 458's and 488's at this point, as well as both Speciales and Pistas getting touch ups or partial resprays done as part of winter prep. Sliding sideways into the gravel at a track going 180 kph will seriously alter the sheen of that paint.- and that's more than PPF can save you from. Funny enough, I've seen cars with resprays and finishing that will put the mediocre paint jobs usually done by Ferrari to shame.
    Of course people view things differently. To me, a respray does not always equal damage, and some types of damage is 110% fixable with ZERO risk of any kind of aftermath. Lets say someone drops his or her phone on top of the boot lid of a 488 and gives it a small dent. Then a new lid is shipped out, properly painted and installed by the dealer. In my world, claiming this should warrant some kind of huge discount and put the car in the damaged category, is really walking in small shoes. To me, that is simy being opportunistic beyond what is acceptable. I suppose this is also why most dealers would never even consider mentioning something like that. I can't remember the entire paint process off the top of my head, but I'm not entirely sure these car bodies and panels are baked after the stripe and clear is done. If this is not the case, then the dealer can in fact have the stripe redone in exactly as good of a quality as would have been done at the factory. If all the correct steps are done with the correct PPG paint, I fail to see what the problem is. I'm sure you can ask the painter to put in a few swirls, scratches, some overspray and dome orange peel in it, if you really want that authentic Ferrari look. I wonder if a car that has had a 70 hour paint correction done prior to say a ceramic coating, is also not original and worth less?

Sorry about the soap box spiel, but I just think there's several options and possibilities when it comes to a good fix:)

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ya can't go wrong with avorio!

ICP...Was it this one? Stripe free.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Back on topic. OP...I hope this is a glitch & your Ferrari shows up just as you envisaged. Or, Ferrari steps up & makes it right for you...T

marko.urbac and of2worlds like this.
  6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    the old style brown for the Ferrari mechanic's uniform in that painting almost matches the brown of that Speciale A interior...

tomc likes this.
  7. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Never noticed that!
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    OP, any update on the car? Did you get it yet? I'm curious to hear if the stripes are proper.

9. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Still no update. I would expect to have it land into port by the end of the month though. My rep says it has been flagged and additional pictures will be taken at that time. We will see. The more I look at the pic the more confidence I get that it’s wrong.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nelsonc275 likes this.
  12. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    None yet....my rep emailed me rend of last week about my 812GTS spec and at that time said there was no news yet. Getting anxious for sure....

Il Co-Pilota and of2worlds like this.
  13. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Quick update......there still is no update. Went back through my notes and I went Status 85 on January 24th. At that time they estimated 4-6 weeks until delivery. Rep says that it went Status 90 over a month ago, but then went back to 85....then a few days later back to 90. Still no update/word from Ferrari. The wait and unknown is driving me nuts.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ugh. I feel terrible reading this. To spend the cost of a large home in most of the States and have something so fundamental screwed up.

16. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know what the status #'s mean (I never ordered a new Ferrari :( )
    Is it possible that they caught the mistake, then fixed it?

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I asked the other day but didn't hear any news...

Now if the boat doesn't show up by Friday they will be out of luck for the next 30 days???

18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Ban only applies to people not to cargo.

White House clarification:Restrictions don't apply to cargo, as Trump initially said

of2worlds likes this.
  19. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Sorry guys - I am in the financial industry and just have not had any time for things outside of phone calls. Update is............none. Still. Absolute crickets.

of2worlds likes this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    But you need people to load cargo

I can say in my related field several of my customers that buy also from my competitors that have materials from Italy have stopped

The plants have been closed

21. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I believe it. China was able to resume factory production once they contained the virus by quarantining 60 million residents but Italy not having a communist government may not be as successful despite Draconian measures.

MANDALAY likes this.
  22. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's crazy! I feel bad for you. I guess with everything going on now, everything will probably be at a standstill for a while anyway.

23. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Still no update. Not that I mind right now - would rather use the funds to make sure my people are taken care of. Went back through emails and was expected to reach my dealer mid-February so approaching 6 weeks later now.

of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  24. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Got a call yesterday; car is now in port. With the shutdown not sure on timing but he estimated it would be at the dealer towards the end of April. Still no pictures and FNA is adamant that it was painted correctly. Another month wait it appears until i know the answer - this may be the longest build ever.

25. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Good luck my friend. I got the final image of my car a few weeks ago. Dealer said it should be on a ship, but who knows at this point. He didn't have the name of the boat though. With the economy the way it is and everyone locked down, I'm OK if it's going to take it's time to get here.

uhn2000 and Thecadster like this.