I think I'm falling in love with the Pantera. Help me. | Page 12 | FerrariChat

I think I'm falling in love with the Pantera. Help me.

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bounty, Oct 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Great Goose!

Indeed, the Pantera and Mangusta are two masterpieces.

LS

2. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Stan, get one!!!

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’m really surprised at current Pantera asking prices.

they seem very high to me, although there also seems to be a wide spread.

‘Matt

4. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I seem to remember seeing all negative write ups on panteras. Not original reviews from when it was new. Probably in later Hemmings publications.

lashss likes this.
  5. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I've owned one for 36 years now. No rust. No overheating. Doors close with the thunk of well built machine. Shifter goes click-clack as a gated shifter should. A fine mid-engine exotic. Thought of trading for a 308 a number of times over the years. Glad that I did not.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mang, lashss, Face76 and 2 others like this.
  6. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Even though it's over 40 years old, the design still looks "fresh" and as beautiful as it did when it was first introduced.

MotorMouth, Mang, lashss and 2 others like this.
  7. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    A 1973 Orange car just like ours fairly easily bid up to sell at $130K plus 12% buyers premium at Amelia Island on Saturday. We were there and listened to the bidding. It was touted to be 12K miles and claimed to be highly original. Owning an unmodified one just like it from near new, we were a bit critical of some details of the claim; however it was very nice and well detailed to sell. Seemed to start and lot drive well. Looks like unmolested examples are now highly sought after...

Mang likes this.
  8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I love Panteras but cannot even come close to fitting in one. I tried to get in one last year and it was just not happening, great cars and I think the run-up in value is well deserved.

9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Vt: I am 6'4" (36 inseam)and can fit in and drive the car. I have modified the seat padding to lower myself and thinned the back padding to allow my body 2 more inches rearward in the seat. Tilting the seat does not help, as it limits how far the seat can go to the rear, so keep the seat fairly vertical to allow it to move as far rearward as possible. It is not great, but I can easily operate all the controls.

10. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    What were you critical of on the car? It sold at the RM Icons sale for a little more in 2017, $145,600 including commission

11. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    The engine was modified (non-stock intake and air cleaner), and there was a fair amount of paint work to the engine bay and some trim pieces. It also appeared the wheels may have been repainted. Passenger mirror was added as well at some point. On the other hand, it is well preserved overall - and these car eventually need some sympathetic maintenance to keep them fresh. Its encouraging to see that the car is maintaining its value in the mid hundreds.

BTW - that was your sale at RM if I recall? I believe we exchanged a few PMs back then....

12. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Almost correct! I owned it for about 7 years and sold it at RM Icons. I did most if not all of the detailing when I bought it. Intake, carb and air cleaner were installed by Ford first owner.
    Wheels were original paint, great story, when I bought the car, it had wire wheels. I found a previous owner who had it in 1975, he bought it from the Ford employee, who installed the wire wheels and had the original wheels stored in boxes since near new. He still had the original wheels tucked away in his barn! I was able to purchase them and re united them with the car. Perfect condition with original paint and decals! I stripped the old Ziebart undercoating from the engine bay as it looked like a dried up riverbed and duplicated the original coating to clean it up. I did that with a hot pressure washer so as to not disturb the original orange paint on the fender wells. The mirrors were added by the first owner. The only other things I did were to replace suspension bushings, resleeve master cylinders, replace caliper seals, hoses, belts, and have a custom radiator made to duplicate the original.
    I was lucky enough to recently buy a 72 from the original owner with the nicest original paint and interior I have ever seen! I still miss the 73 though!

13. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    #289 JohnnyRay, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    It is a nice car, and you did a spectacular job with it. And nice find on the wheels! Too bad you could not also find the original intake and air cleaner. Wish someone would have added the passenger mirror to my car. I have an NOS one in a box, but can't find it in me to drill the holes for it. Mine is still a preserved time capsule with all the documentation, tool kit etc. - and otherwise has had similar sympathetic maintenance to keep it running and driving well. No doubt the dealer undercoating has kept it rust free all these years.

Perhaps you might be interested in my car to work your magic on at some point? Might be getting close to time to thin the herd... ;-)

14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ok, I scrolled thru all 12 pages and didn't see this posted. Doesn't matter. This is a great vid from 2014 and worth watching again. Beautiful car.

15. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    They R doing a great job with their P72 comeback. Yummy;)

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  17. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015