Maranello Under Quarantine. Effect on Production? | FerrariChat

Maranello Under Quarantine. Effect on Production?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jacob Potts, Mar 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    DGPF likes this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Uh oh.. gotta wait a couple extra months for your 300k+ toy?? Boo hoo.. damn those people they should work regardless just for me!!

Nuvolari and Jacob Potts like this.
  3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I do not think that is what he was suggesting but truthfully the dealers and Ferrari will have a real problem if cars stop shipping for a couple of months...The times are different now..... the demand will shift to other toys.....just saying

4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I ordered a gts , and in no way do I give a damn if it is built or not at the expense of one sick person.

Not sure what group of people you are referring to that would say "damn those people should work regardless" , maybe you watch too much tv

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Unfortunately there are people out there who are just as I state. And unfortunately they do indeed gravitate into the exotic car market.

BT likes this.
  6. karlos23

karlos23 Rookie

Nov 12, 2010
    mods. delete this this thread, it will only go bad.....

BigTex likes this.
  7. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    The factory may remain open and people are allowed to go to work. Whether or not the factory decides to close at this point is still up to them.
    The museum will have to close.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    "Que sera sera"

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nope. It may go bad, or worse, but it stays. If it gets out of hand, we might lock it, but that would be unusual too.

Depending on the content, it might end up in P&R, so let's mind our P's and Q's.

D

Jack-the-lad, LARRYH, DGPF and 2 others like this.
  10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Autocar quotes factory https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/ferrari-factory-operational-despite-coronavirus-restrictions

In a statement, Ferrari noted the measures allowed for “continued working activity” and said: “Ferrari has activated all of the measures necessary to allow their employees to conduct their working activity in the best possible condition and therefore, at this moment in time, confirms its operational continuity. This continuity is obviously subject to that of our suppliers with whom we are in constant contact.

“Ferrari remains in ongoing discussions with the authorities and is ready to adapt its security measures with regard to the evolving situation in the knowledge that the safeguard of the health and wellbeing of its employees is of absolute priority.”

Source: https://corporate.ferrari.com/en/ferrari-confirms-its-operational-continuity

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  11. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thoughts and prayers with the Italian people:(

Caeruleus11, LARRYH, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  12. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I recall both the museums already closed 2 weeks ago, and factory tours were suspended too. They will continue to work as long as they have all the components, most manufacurers use "just in time" to minimise inventory costs so interruptions in the supply chain won't take long to manifest themselves.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  13. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Caeruleus11 and LARRYH like this.
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very good article, not just on the motoring industry but on the virus, thank you

As someone who works in the media, I was interested, on finishing reading, to know the name of the impressive journalist who wrote it, so I scrolled up and then realised who it was . I spent the next 20 minutes reading his back columns. The auto world may never see the likes of his generation again.

Caeruleus11 and Jacob Potts like this.
  15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I agree with this and suspect with all the just in time inventory controls there will be lots of slow downs .. I suspect even if Italian car manufacturers continue to operate it will not take long before they have a bunch of cars waiting on parts or production is halted.. and for that matter all car companies will have similar issues...

Jacob Potts and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    He’s one of a kind, for sure. There’s a good profile of him in Karl Ludvigsen’s recent book, Fast Friends,

Jacob Potts likes this.
  17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    With Bob Lutz you are getting an informed opinion- so I would listen to it. Thank you for sharing.

Jacob Potts, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    He was my boss for 8 years.
    They broke the mold when they made him.

19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That must have been quite an experience. He’s somebody I wish I knew!

Themaven, Caeruleus11 and jm2 like this.
  20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Doubt if there are many workers over 70 at the plant. Build them.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Because people under 70 don't get sick and die as well? Notably Underlying immunodeficiencies, Asthmatics, COPD patients, Cystic Fibrosis Patients..? ;)

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes - or diabetes, heart disease, blood clotting problems, or are on medication for high blood pressure - and that's just the risk of death.

Of course, only the youngest and fittest are worthy of building your Ferrari, Mr PNH, and they shall not succumb to the virus. Until they do.

What a crass and insensitive post, when hundreds of people are dying. They may even be the mothers and fathers of the "build em" workers, not allowed to see their parents die because they are in isolation.

proggero and nart like this.
  23. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
  24. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Lamborghini announced their plant closure in Sant Agata yesterday. Today I spoke with my cousins who live nearby and they said Maranello was closing as well