Maserati Khamsin | Page 320 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Roger, Marc and I now know they are two different cars and the green car is still in the one family. There are 14 /15 Khamsins in Australia one went to NZ some 10 years ago. there locations are not all known as I can now account for 8. The three in my picture in a previous thread plus A blue manual a Blue Auto also discussed.
    The Green car here. The silver Chev powered car, the Ex press car somewhere in Queensland and another brown Ex Hong Kong Auto. There is a lost list sadly that had more.

rga and Nembo1777 like this.
  2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    #7977 boralogist, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Gentlemen---

Trying to find the history as well as the current whereabouts of this 1977 Khamsin?
    At one time she had these wires as well as a set of alloys I believe...

TYIA[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Here is the response from David Zeunert on that green car, thanks for your help in contacting him Graeme and thanks to him:

Hi Marc,

This Maserati Khamsin @ the time was owned by Ben Braida from Melbourne Vic Reg - BB 356 - its a automatic & was photographed near Albert Lake

Ben passed away some time ago, he was a builder in Melbourne from originally North Italy, my understanding is it is still in Melbourne & owned by the family,

Hope this helps,

Regards,

David Zeunert

rga likes this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7979 Nembo1777, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Hi Boralogist: it was silver before, here is a quite old photo of it. Apparently the interior was completely redone at the same time as paint and Euro bumper kit conversion. Despite the plate being Khamsin Virginia it is also possible that one car left the state, cancelling its registration and that another owner of a different Khamsin asked for it and got it in later years. Contrary to the UK where people pay a fortune for an existing number plate that is often spelled slightly incorrect compared to what they would want in the US it costs just 50 Dollars to get the number plate you require. I had the Khamsin number plate on my K in Florida. Of course in most countries you just can't do any of that.

I actually believed this silver car was 1120 the car of Michael D before he bought it, his is now in Tennessee or Kentucky but your photo shows this is another car. May I ask where you found that picture?

Only a small handful of cars used after market wire wheels such as 1170 in California but they belong on fifties and sixties cars not seventies.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

boralogist likes this.
  5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes in recent weeks, with Fabio Collina we figured out that this car (AM120333) was actually sold new to the Sultan of Brunei. If you scroll back a couple of pages you will find the discussion. the question is what kind of engine that Holden block is, i.e. what is the power output. I emailed DD Classics again a few days ago and they promised to get back to me.

au-yt likes this.
  7. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi boralogist
    except for the number plate I would have thought this is 1182, but then I do not know where it lives today
    that would be a 1977 car in blue, panna and very similar boot carpet

Roger

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

boralogist likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger yes I did remember this car Ivan had though I did not know MIE had it at one point. Don't know who owns it now.
    Now what do you make of the identical number plate on the silver car? Beyond the possibility I listed the same man could have owned two K's one after another keeping the number plate....

boralogist likes this.
  9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I bought 1182 with about 15K miles and at the time was all original, except for the Ghibli style wire wheels which were installed by Frank Mandarano. I did the rear bumper conversion. The car then went to a friend in Georgia that at the time lived just a few miles from my home. He then traded 1182 back to MIE. I do not know where it went later but Frank should know.

Ivan

boralogist likes this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Ivan, I am just in the middle of exchanging emails with Frank so will ask him.

boralogist likes this.
  11. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Holden engines are a variant of Corvette engines built in Australia, there are quite a few I would not be surprised if it wasn't an LS3, similar to the silver Australian car.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Gentlemen---

Thank you for all your help!
    One more question please---

1977. Good condition, little rust
    needs work on minor cosmetic and mechanical issues.

In your expert opinions what would be a fair price to pay for this car today?

TYIA.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7988 Nembo1777, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Seventeen toilet paper rolls.

I was just thinking that with all the idiot greed-culators selling shares like de-brained lemmings this week, this would be my time to finally get a Khamsin again...then I saw your post:)
    Very obviously I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, particularly those at the core of virus impacted zones but for those who bought a Khamsin for speculation and never drove it...well karma is a b**Ch:)

Plus greed-culators never driving the cars actually generated garage bills because classic cars don't like to sit idle for too long...so due to their ignorance they shot themselves in the financial foot.

boralogist likes this.
  14. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    And a few accoutrements:

71Satisfaction, thecarnut and rga like this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Lol smart entrepreneurs getting busy:D

boralogist likes this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Anyway Boralogist sorry to have wildly hijacked your question: I would say 120K US$ AS LONG AS there are no bad surprises, the rust is truly little and the work needed really minor.

boralogist likes this.
  17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc,
    Now that is funny, Mike D. were talking yesterday about Khamsins, (primarily about how much better the USA bumpers look over the Euro ) naturally the conversation got around to values of Khamsins in today’s market. We both came to the same conclusion, that a good quality (not over restored PB car) is 120k US.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Joe that's excellent, perhaps we are not so bad after all:D

I recognize Mike's ever warped humour!

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Thank you Joe and Marc...

Given the times we are in right now, these last two posts brought smiles and laughter! :)

Mike

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Hi Marc. Anything is possible. But I believe that Gullwing must know by now that they have a stolen car. Also, I can't imagine how a New jersey title could have been obtained without matching the chassis number.

https://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/1979-maserati-khamsin-c-3651.htm

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Carmine,

Maybe an Alabama title: that state was always easier for such things.

MK1044 likes this.
  22. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    How sad is the condition of that cat ... :( When I began my shopping for a vintage GT back in 86-87 this is one car I though seriously about. I have the ad placed in the MIE Maserati Market letter, a "publication" that looks like it was produce on a very crude printing press, trimmed incorrectly by hand and stapled by hand as well. LOL :D my how things have changed ... I really lusted after that car at the time. It had only 16,650 miles and was described as pristine contact Mrs Pacillio. $28,990. That ad ran forever.
    A New Jersey phone number.

Who did this to that car? :eek:

I ended up with Bora 1048 instead after following that car in Hemmings, again seemingly forever for a bit more but only 3,300 miles and as described in theat MIE ad one of the late and last imported ones 12/79.

Maserati in great distress at that time.

But wow what a sad, sad fate for a once very nice car ... :(

Stolen eh? I went through a "stolen car" situation with a fellow Ghibli Cup car owner in Germany years ago. He was an American working there for Bosch who bought it there because he wanted something different. He got transferred back to the USA and left it with a dealer to sell for him. The dealer went bankrupt and the local government seized all the vehicles and resold it to someone else. That person, in the eyes of German law, has the totally legitimate ownership of the vehicle. So he was totally out of luck. I don't know how German laws work on this stuff but something seemed very wrong about all of that. I suppose if it was a 450S instead and he had the resources to fight back then that would have been different? Some very famous stories about such things ... :p

So watch your asses folks, crooks abound. Even "legal" ones.

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Here you go Bob:

24. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah I'm looking at that one too. My scanner is down. Huge computer failure here 3 days ago, still rebuilding.

25. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Marc, correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that Khamsin being in pretty decent condition when we had a look at it, (was it summer of 2018?).

Bob, the Bora is a very nice ride as well. So you did well with your choice.